As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Great Dilemma of the Returning Gamer

The Dark HillbillyThe Dark Hillbilly Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Games and Technology
For those who see tl;dr, I'll sum it up here on the top. TV and Xbox360, upgrade my PC, or TV and PS3?

So, in early 2008 I was forced to sell my Xbox360 and all my games to make ends meet. I've had a pretty standard desktop computer the whole time and have been playing some low end games since then. My financial situation has improved since then, dramatically, and I'm trying to decide between a few different options.

Option A. I can upgrade my computer with a few hardware tweaks, looking to stay under $1000. I have access to digital downloads and a large library of games that I already own. This option may give me the most immediate access to fun gaming, but it is a very solo-oriented gaming experience. I can't exactly sit the girlfriend down on my lap while I plow through Modern Warfare 2 for a multiplayer experience.

Option B. I can buy a new Xbox360, a television, and some games. My games library would be smaller and more expensive. I would need to rearrange the furniture to accommodate the gaming setup in my tiny apartment. There could be some other expenses involved, such as an Xbox live subscription. I would have the ability to play with other people online and in the apartment. Most of my friends are Xbox owners, so that would be a more socially stimulating platform.

Option C. Playstation 3. I would have to buy all new accessories, games, and will have exposed myself to the high priced world of blueray players. This is the option I'm least sure of, but it is on the table.

The Dark Hillbilly on

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I hear some XBOX360s are more prone to breaking than others. Someone else will tell you which model you should look for if you choose the XBOX option.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    (...)I would have the ability to play with other people online and in the apartment. Most of my friends are Xbox owners, so that would be a more socially stimulating platform (...)
    IMHO: Thats the only real part that seems really important (and Live gold is cheap from several online-shops). Games plummet in price (to 20-30$) after a few months on any platform so that issue is not that huge.

Edit for above: all consoles in shops are new motherboard-revisions (well unless you look in tiny shops with possibly ancient hardware).

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah the best choice is nearly always the one that will get you gaming with the largest number of your friends.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Adda wrote: »
    Yeah the best choice is nearly always the one that will get you gaming with the largest number of your friends.

Having a hard time thinking of a time when that isn't the best choice.

Playing with friends, even eFriends like PAers, beats the everloving shit out of trying to play with the general public.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well I said that because some people don't on-line game and/or could care really strongly about certain console exclusive titles.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    KrudlerKrudler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Agreed completely. All else equal though, I guess it depends on what you're looking to play and how you feel about console FPS controls, etc.

Krudler on
  • Options
    The Dark HillbillyThe Dark Hillbilly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the quick responses. I think that PC gaming, despite the larger library I'd have access to, is just too much of a solo experience. I may upgrade my graphics card, but that's it.

I agree with you folks, I think the experience with friends is the key here. Also, keeping the keeper of thy nookie in support of your gaming habit is always a good idea.

So, I'm going with the Xbox360. Now comes the lengthy search for the best deal.

The Dark Hillbilly on