As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] A Hard Day's Work: The Profession Thread

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ok, I know Arathi is for Iron and Un'Goro is for Thorium.

What about Mithril? Please don't send me to the Burning Steppes or Tanaris. There must be another way! (that does not involve the AH).

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Wombat02Wombat02 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

What about Mithril? Please don't send me to the Burning Steppes or Tanaris. There must be another way! (that does not involve the AH).

I like to go to the badlands way to the east by the drakes. There are a couple mithril veins that spawn there and you can grab iron in other parts of the zone while waiting for those to come back.

Wombat02 on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Un'Goro's not that great for thorium

Burning Steppes is the best place for Thorium

for Mithrill your best bet is probably Hinterlands or maybe Badlands

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I had terrible luck finding Mithril. But my friend swears the Hinterlands is the best zone for that.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah Hinterlands has the most mithril node spawns in the game.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Start at southshore, hit the yeti cave and pass through the alterac mountains, before swinging right and hitting the hinterlands.

By the end of that run you should have quite a bit of mithril. Remember where the hot spots are and mithril will just fall into your open bag space.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Don't forget to checkout the green dragonkin area when you're running laps of the hinterlands. There are usually 2-4 nodes there if you can avoid the patrolling mobs.

danx on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mgcw wrote: »
    I remember a while ago they said they were going to make mining easier by having smelting ore give you skill ups for way longer than it does currently.

Never happened, those bastards.

Fucking mithril/thorium!

Dude, they did. I just did 200-300 mining today (as an aside, KILL ME!) and I remember it used to be that you stopped getting skillups for smelting at like Iron or something ridiculous. I was getting skillups well through every set of ore - I'd mine a bunch of it, then bring about 40 ore back and smelt it while it was still yellow.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

What's so bad about Burning Steppes? There's ore nodes just lying on the ground everywhere. You don't have to do any tunnel bullshit, it's just all out in the open air.

In my experience, Burning Steppes is a great place for both Mithril and Thorium, but if you want more mithril, Searing Gorge and Hinterlands (as other people said) are also good places. My trick to gathering mithril is to convince myself that I'm actually trying to gather Thorium, and then I find it all over the place.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I always rocked the Badlands for Mithril

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm a fan of using the Badlands for mithril. West side of the zone has iron, east side (including the ravine with the drakes) has mithril. In order to make full use of all the node spawns, you will have to swing over to the west side of the zone and pick up some iron to buy time for mithril nodes to spawn on the other end, but at least it is money in your pocket from the AH.

And I wish people would stop touting Un'Goro as the hotspot for thorium. Un'Goro sucks shit for thorium. I do all my thorium farming in Winterspring.

Henroid on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah un'goro is awful for thorium. The best spots are Searing Gorge, Winterspring (in particular the demon area) and the hives in silithus. Hives are the best for farming at 70 I find, and Searing Gorge for lower levels.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Yeah un'goro is awful for thorium. The best spots are Searing Gorge, Winterspring (in particular the demon area) and the hives in silithus. Hives are the best for farming at 70 I find, and Searing Gorge for lower levels.

Winterspring hotspots: blue dragon cave, the crevice with the giants, the demon area, and the yeti cave. Making a circuit of all 4 spots usually nets me 2 stacks on a quiet day.

Nobody on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Un'Goro isn't so bad for small thorium veins, which someone will need to get to Rich, when I was leveling my Warriors mining at 60 I couldn't afford the price tag of a swift mount so was on a slow mount and people on swift mounts would get ahead of me so I would turn around and try going the opposite direction.

edit: I would also switch zones a lot. I would mine Un'Goro, then switch to Winterspring after a few circuits and then switch to Azshara, and then head to ironforge smelt my ore get a couple points in Blacksmithing and then fly to Burning Steppes do a few circuits, fly to Blasted Lands do a few circuits then head to ironforge and from there I would head to the West and East Plaguelands.

Seg on
  • Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The eastern side of Burning Steppes is good for mtihril, the western side is more thorium in my experience.

dylman on
  • Options
    TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Main problem my miner saw in Un'Goro was competition. It's a popular leveling zone ('cause it's good to level in) so there's never a shortage of other miners running around. And at least on my server, people are still leveling alts...

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I can never remember which is Searing Gorge and which is Burning Steppes

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    My favorite spot for Thorium is the bug caves in Silithus. By far.

And, as Seg said, Ungoro is good for small veins. There's just more competition than in Silithus/Winterspring.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    silithus is good if you're 70, but not at 60

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Pffft I say. Maybe when they were elites it was tough, but that's not the case anymore. Unless there's a debuff I'm not remembering that rapes you through the pants.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    oh they arent elites anymore?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Nope, and I assure you from experience it's a good place at 60 too :P

TheEmerged on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Not as far as I can recall. But still some hives are a bitch. Such as the one where the worker or whatever mobs call extras. It can become an endless loop cause I'm a holy priest miner oh god go away you fucking bugs :x

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I can never remember which is Searing Gorge and which is Burning Steppes

Searing Gorge has a Gorge occupying the center of the map. As well as Dark Iron Dwarves. Burning Steppes is where the Orcs, Ogres and Dragonspawn/Dragonkin hang out.

The Ogre caves are fairly decent for skill levels 250+ because you can normally find Small Thorium or Dark Iron in there.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    oh ok so Searing Gorge is the one north of Blackrock Mountain and Burning Steppes is the one south of it

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    To this day I hate things that make me go to Silithus.

I have nightmares (okay not really but I COULD) about clearing out hives for Field Duty. I hated every silithid quest while leveling up, then you get to Silithus and it's like "Oh hey, here's an entire zone full of this shit, enjoy!"

My druid got CC exalted for his mace and the damn ring from Field Duty but at the cost of my sanity.

(However, yeah, the hives are ace for thorium at 70.)

riz on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    riz wrote: »

I have nightmares (okay not really but I COULD) about clearing out hives for Field Duty. I hated every silithid quest while leveling up, then you get to Silithus and it's like "Oh hey, here's an entire zone full of this shit, enjoy!"

My druid got CC exalted for his mace and the damn ring from Field Duty but at the cost of my sanity.

Hey thats not quite true....I mean there is that one quest there to deal with the undead druids....who turn into Sithilids. :x

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Hey thats not quite true....I mean there is that one quest there to deal with the undead druids....who turn into Sithilids. :x
    Pre-nerf, that was one of the most bullshit quests (if you did it at even level) of all time.

forty on
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am trying to level up Jewel Crafting right now I am around 217, where can I farm aquamarine? There is a short supply in AH but the ones on sale are cheap.

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Horus wrote: »
    I am trying to level up Jewel Crafting right now I am around 217, where can I farm aquamarine? There is a short supply in AH but the ones on sale are cheap.

If the aquamarine is cheaper than usual, buy it. Otherwise you're gonna have to prospect that shit. And prospecting is exactly that. Shit.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    Horus wrote: »

If the aquamarine is cheaper than usual, buy it. Otherwise you're gonna have to prospect that shit. And prospecting is exactly that. Shit.

Its cheap but like 2 pop out in AH, well its the patience game.

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You can't really farm it, as it's a random drop off ore nodes (mithril I think?) So you can either farm a ton of mithril and hope you get lucky, prospect, or check the AH.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    forty wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Pre-nerf, that was one of the most bullshit quests (if you did it at even level) of all time.

Guild members were bitching about it so much at the time that we grabbed a couple people after summoning one of those really high level guys (epics!) and went and killed that town dead on our raid mains.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    You can't really farm it, as it's a random drop off ore nodes (mithril I think?) So you can either farm a ton of mithril and hope you get lucky, prospect, or check the AH.

Apparently it has a chance of showing up in Mithril or Truesilver veins.

Seg on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »

Apparently it has a chance of showing up in Mithril or Truesilver veins.

Also shows up in iron veins

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wheres the best place to grind out knothide leather? I need to grind up leatherworking before WOTLK.

I heard black morass used to be good but that place got nerfed I think

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    As long as your LW is at least 350 you'll be set for wrath

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sedosedo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If not, I usually go to the herds of clefthoof on the east side of Oshu'gun.

And since you're a feral druid, it feels like you're in a David Attenborough program.

Oh and I guess you get heavy clefthoof and shit too but who cares about that anyway.

sedo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Wheres the best place to grind out knothide leather? I need to grind up leatherworking before WOTLK.

I heard black morass used to be good but that place got nerfed I think

Nagrand, by far. By the time my druid alt was done with the zone I had so many stacks of knothide & scraps that I needed three mails to send them all to my LW alt (yes, nearly 40 stacks). This is with only a small amount of farming (we have a guild policy that 'yellow' elephants must be killed for their horns), other than that it's just killing the stuff you need for quests and whatever gets in the way.

And I've said this before with regards to Black Morass and farming -- the ONLY advantage BM gives you is that you don't have to fight other people for the spawns.

TheEmerged on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nagrand, kill Talbuks.

They almost always drop knothide, whereas Clefthooves tend to drop scraps if they don't drop clefthoof leather.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
This discussion has been closed.