As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop broken by airline inspector

ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
and I want to know if anyone else has had a similar experience and what was the result?

My wife went on a trip and put her gaming laptop in her suitcase. She had her netbook as carry on.
There were two notifications in her suitcase when she returned home saying they had opened it for inspection. Presumably for security reasons.

The things was obviously dropped. A piece of the laptop casing is broken off at the corner, the clips (to keep it shut when you close it) were snapped off and the screen is a pretty rainbow color. There are also some dents in the side.

This thing was dropped from a pretty good height.

So where should I start?

I know this is going to be a huge hassle so I was hoping that someone with experience might have some tips for me.

Shawnasee on

• Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    First things first, take a picture of everything, and make sure your digital camera has a timestamp. Take pictures of your flight ticket, baggage tag and everything, in detail, next to the computer.

Then call the TSA, and begin the loooooooooong, arduous process of held calls, muzak, and bitchy service reps.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Looking forward to this...

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    all of those issues sound more like baggage handling than TSA.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    kaliyama wrote: »
    all of those issues sound more like baggage handling than TSA.

it sounds like direct trauma to me. I don't think it would have all that bruising if it just took bumps while padded inside a bag.

Sam on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There are restrictions on what can be covered in luggage.
    Often times they specifically say they WILL NOT cover damage to expensive electronics, laptops, jewelry, etc. That's why you are highly encouraged to get insurance.

So, on that front, many credit cards will help in situations like this. Call the credit card company that you used to buy her ticket and talk to them. At the very least, they may have some ideas/information on what to do.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    They usually leave a pamphlet in your baggage notifying you that they are absolutely not responible for any damages. Your wife was a silly goose to begin with for putting an expensive machine onto a plane's cargo.

Awk on
  • Options
    HoothHooth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Awk wrote: »
    They usually leave a pamphlet in your baggage notifying you that they are absolutely not responible for any damages. Your wife was a silly goose to begin with for putting an expensive machine onto a plane's cargo.

IANAL, etc.. But the legality of these notices is questionable. Unless she signed away any liability, it doesn't matter that the airline says they are not responsible; its the same thing as hotels trying to claim they aren't responsible for stolen goods (they are if it was one of their employees who did it).

Hooth on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ok i did a bit of research and apparently it's difficult enough to get compensation when x ray checkpoint douches break it in front of your face.
    I also saw a TSA page where they say please don't put your laptop in your checked bag, it's unsafe due to "pressure and altitude"- i.e we're not responsible if we fucking break it.

Sam on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, you're mostly screwed.

The only time I've even heard of someone getting compensated for any damages was when a musician had his guitars broken by united and then wrote a song and made a viral video.

After that, the airline caved to save face.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm not sure if this would work, but assuming they won't cover it at all, could you call your credit card company and do a chargeback on the airline tickets? It might help go towards a replacement laptop...

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    isnt that fraud?

Awk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    and why would you want to hold your credit card company responsible for the TSA's irresponsibility?
    And unless you flew blowjob class or something I doubt the airfare covers the cost of the computer.

Sam on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You're probably shit out of luck dude
    DO NOT pack the following items in your checked baggage:

Lighters are prohibited from all baggage
    Jewelry, cash or fragile items (no matter how they are protected)
    Laptop computers and other electronics
    Film – security screening equipment will damage it

Usagi on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Airports now have permission to smash shit open with a mallet if they think there is something illegal in there and they are not held liable. Chances are that they will admit that they broke it for reasons of "Airport Security" and will not admit accidental breakage.

The only real hope you have is if you bought it with a credit card and your card has insurance you might be able to claim it off that.

Your wife did a silly thing I'm afraid.

Edit:

Here is an example with a 360

http://gizmodo.com/5452938/us-airways-saves-flight-from-dangerous-xbox-360-threat

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hooth wrote: »
    Awk wrote: »

IANAL, etc.. But the legality of these notices is questionable. Unless she signed away any liability, it doesn't matter that the airline says they are not responsible; its the same thing as hotels trying to claim they aren't responsible for stolen goods (they are if it was one of their employees who did it).

Sure they are... assuming you can prove it.
    And the burden for doing so is on you.
    So the OP is in a similar boat: Can (s)he PROVE the laptop worked, insert into bag, then presto-chango it no longer works?

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Blaket wrote: »
    Airports now have permission to smash shit open with a mallet if they think there is something illegal in there and they are not held liable. Chances are that they will admit that they broke it for reasons of "Airport Security" and will not admit accidental breakage.

The only real hope you have is if you bought it with a credit card and your card has insurance you might be able to claim it off that.

Edit:

http://gizmodo.com/5452938/us-airways-saves-flight-from-dangerous-xbox-360-threat

that article is stupid

i think the real issue is that with electronics such as these, they are easily big enough to house a bomb, and x-raying them to see what's inside will show a shitload of electric components, which COULD be a bomb, or it could be the regular workings of the device

i'm not even sure if xraying something like this would ruin the electronics

they have to open it to find out. Seeing as though they don't have hours and hours to open it carefully and check it out, they have to open it forcibly

they have a warning not to bring electronics in your luggage, unfortunately, I think the OP is out of luck on this one

simply put: fedex this sort of thing

Raneados on
  • Options
    tutankhamuntutankhamun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Raneados wrote: »

they have to open it to find out. Seeing as though they don't have hours and hours to open it carefully and check it out, they have to open it forcibly

they have a warning not to bring electronics in your luggage, unfortunately, I think the OP is out of luck on this one

LOL. So you're suggesting that the inspector drops everything that looks suspicious on the ground to check if it is a bomb or not? :mrgreen:

As to the OP - if there is a warning not to bring electronics and it is visible and comprehensible, you might struggle to get anything out of the bastard. Still, as there is a written note in your wife's bag, it can work as evidence. I agree with Faggins. Also take the photo of the note and file a claim with the company. At least fray the bastards' nerves!!!

tutankhamun on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

LOL. So you're suggesting that the inspector drops everything that looks suspicious on the ground to check if it is a bomb or not? :mrgreen:
    no, i think he's suggesting it's a bad idea to check sensitive electronics in your luggage in the first place. luggage is ABUSED in flight. when i see a person walking around an airport with a set of Tumi luggage, i shake my head.
    As to the OP - if there is a warning not to bring electronics and it is visible and comprehensible, you might struggle to get anything out of the bastard. Still, as there is a written note in your wife's bag, it can work as evidence. I agree with Faggins. Also take the photo of the note and file a claim with the company. At least fray the bastards' nerves!!!
    you're likely not fraying anyone's nerves but your own. the airlines and the TSA are likely not going to be kerfluffled by one lone traveler ranting about a laptop.

i think the OP's best bet is insurance or possible credit card damage coverage.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    no, i think he's suggesting it's a bad idea to check sensitive electronics in your luggage in the first place. luggage is ABUSED in flight.

And on the ground.

Watch the Dirty Jobs episode where Mike is a baggage handler. There is an unspoken assumption made when performing that job: that there's nothing breakable in the baggage.

If you're carrying a laptop on a plane you should put it in your carry-on. They will not deny it if it boots up during inspection.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    PennyUnwisePennyUnwise Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Reading this stuff makes me shiver. I work in security screening in Finland, and every time we break stuff we slip a note about it in the suitcase with instructions on how to file for damages. Fortunately Finnish labor laws take this kind of stuff into consideration and the employees don't have to pay the damages themselves.

I'd imagine the TSA guideline might cover damage to the laptop that is the result of normal baggage handling and inspection, but dropping a laptop to the ground doesn't really qualify for normal. Since dropping inspected items to the ground is in no way normal or foreseeable damage, I think you might have a decent chance of getting damages(at the courts, at least).

PennyUnwise on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Except that they clearly say "Don't put laptops in your checked luggage"

Usagi on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Blaket wrote: »

Edit:

that article is stupid

i think the real issue is that with electronics such as these, they are easily big enough to house a bomb, and x-raying them to see what's inside will show a shitload of electric components, which COULD be a bomb, or it could be the regular workings of the device

simply put: fedex this sort of thing

Yes, that makes sense.

TSA GOON 1: Hey, this xbox might be a bomb!

TSA GOON 2: Stand back.

TSA GOON 2 hits xbox with hammer.

TSA GOON 1: Thank god you disarmed it with that mallet!!

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Call for damages from the airline.

Most airlines have a baggage liability per ticket holder based on international/domestic traveling. For instance, American Air insures damages to baggage up to $3300 per ticket for domestic travels.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    but this wasn't apparently damaged by the airline

and there's still the simple fact that passengers are instructed in very plain language NOT TO CHECK LAPTOPS

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think that's for damage like, it got sucked into the engine. Not "we threw it around like any other bag and something inside busted." You might be able to get something, but it will be tough and probably not worth it. never check a laptop.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    bowen wrote: »

Most airlines have a baggage liability per ticket holder based on international/domestic traveling. For instance, American Air insures damages to baggage up to $3300 per ticket for domestic travels.

Yes, all domestic US airlines are required to do so, but if you actually read the Contract of Carriage posted on any of their websites it says
    Baggage liability
    For travel wholly between points in the U.S., United will not be liable for loss of money, jewelry, cameras, negotiable papers/securities, electronic/video/photographic equipment, heirlooms, antiques, artifacts, works of art, silverware, irreplaceable books/publications/manuscripts/business documents, precious metals and other similar valuable and commercial effects. United prohibits the foregoing items being placed in checked baggage for travel wholly between points in the U.S. as well as for international transportation.

Usagi on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I recall stashing numerous bottles of alcohol in my bag(s). I tried to provide as much cushioning as possible and somehow they made it home alive.

On second thought, this was done pre 9-11...

Slider on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have the combined wisdom of two semi-frequent travelers.

My father spent the better part of the 90's flying two, sometimes four times a week for business. This is pre-9/11 and the ramp-up of security in the US. Recently, about two years ago, he opened his luggage after a flight and found the case of his brand new Vaio mangled. His response was that "there's nothing I can do". This is from a man who saw countless broken and damaged goods in his checked luggage for the better part of 10 years.

I have spent the last two years traveling round trip to Chicago every other month, or so, and I can say that lugging an old Inspiron 6000 around in my carry-ons along with everything else I actually want on my person is a stretch. I always check my laptop and I never had an issue on the 20+ flights I was on.

In the end, there's probably little to be done. US law isn't friendly to small-claims, and the airline has every reason to deny a claim because even if it was their fault, the cost to recoup $500-$1000 is simply not worthwhile to a consumer.

That said, in the larger picture, "We said not to check laptops!" isn't a valid defense for why an airline or TSA agent broke an item. Open a ticket for damages, take timestamped photos, etc. as has been advised in the thread. Your only recourse is to be such a polite nuisance that the airline just pushes a claim through to be rid of you.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Usagi wrote: »

Yes, all domestic US airlines are required to do so, but if you actually read the Contract of Carriage posted on any of their websites it says
    Baggage liability
    For travel wholly between points in the U.S., United will not be liable for loss of money, jewelry, cameras, negotiable papers/securities, electronic/video/photographic equipment, heirlooms, antiques, artifacts, works of art, silverware, irreplaceable books/publications/manuscripts/business documents, precious metals and other similar valuable and commercial effects. United prohibits the foregoing items being placed in checked baggage for travel wholly between points in the U.S. as well as for international transportation.

This has been done ad nasueum. Just because they say they're not liable for the damage doesn't mean they're not liable for the damage.

If the item was damaged, it doesn't mean it was damaged by the inspection crew, it could've been damaged in flight. And that's what the baggage liability is there for. If it were $1000 in designer shoes versus a laptop is beside the point.

Basically you just said quoted something that says "Hey we're liable for damage for mishandling or otherwise, but we're not liable for damaged to goods such as: EVERYTHING that's worth more than $20 in clothes from wal-mart even though we cover goods up to $3300."

IANAL but the wording on that is probably not legal or enforceable.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010

Baggage liability

This has been done ad nasueum. Just because they say they're not liable for the damage doesn't mean they're not liable for the damage.

If the item was damaged, it doesn't mean it was damaged by the inspection crew, it could've been damaged in flight. And that's what the baggage liability is there for. If it were $1000 in designer shoes versus a laptop is beside the point.

Basically you just said quoted something that says "Hey we're liable for damage for mishandling or otherwise, but we're not liable for damaged to goods such as: EVERYTHING that's worth more than $20 in clothes from wal-mart even though we cover goods up to $3300."

IANAL but the wording on that is probably not legal or enforceable.

I believe the disconnect there is that they aren't saying they're not liable for such things, they're saying they're prohibited from being checked all together. They could make the argument that they're not liable for the damages of such items because they're prohibited from being checked, and you were violating policy by placing them in checked baggage in the first place.

Even if you do manage to get the damage claim through and get some kind of compensation for this, the lesson is still the same: don't check your fragile expensive items. Just the possibility of having them broken like this isn't worth the hassle. A laptop weighs an extra 5 pounds, carry it with you.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Slider wrote: »
    I recall stashing numerous bottles of alcohol in my bag(s). I tried to provide as much cushioning as possible and somehow they made it home alive.

On second thought, this was done pre 9-11...

I've done this multiple times post 9/11. Throw them in (clean) socks and surround them with clothes.

Unfortunately that doesn't work so well for laptops. Despite the fact that bottle of alcohol probably look like some sort of bomb with tubular explosives, I've never had one of those pieces of luggage thoroughly searched (to the point that the bottles weren't cushioned anymore, anyway). They're more likely to check laptops; they look much more like bombs during screening. Jars/bottles of dirt also look pique suspicions (and in general should be claimed on your customs form...but TSA doesn't get to see your customs form).

I could see why you'd want to check it (carrying around one heavy laptop can be a pain; two would be worse (although why is she bringing two?)). What kind of luggage was this in? And how full was the bag? Those sorts of dings and breakage may happen with soft luggage, but I wouldn't expect that kind of severity in a padded piece of hard-cased luggage. If it's soft it may well have gotten beat up in-flight or from handlers.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Except that they clearly say "Don't put laptops in your checked luggage"

This.
    Caveat emptor seems to apply here, in a way.
    You've be warned... ignore said warning at your own risk.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the sound advice everyone.

I'm taking pics now, gonna give them a call and see what's what. I will update this thread with their response.

The laptop was in it's carry on case inside the luggage bag...knowing my wife, she had a metric shit ton of clothes and they were all wrapped around it.

This was not damage that took place during rough handling. It's soft luggage but with the reinforced rim siding. The laptop casing was hit/dropped so hard it left it jagged. The lining should have ripped but there are no signs of tearing anywhere on the bag. That's my expert theory anyway :D

Regardless, we'll see what happens...

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Doesn't change the fact that they warn not to check laptops. But you'll find out soon enough.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Baggage liability

What I want to know is where they expect me to put my antique, silver, work of art box-cutters.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

It doesn't. You can run electronics, including hard drives and most film (who owns a film camera?)

In the early days of airport x-ray machines magnetic media (mostly floppies, less likely for HD, might have been at risk. Not from the x-rays, but from the magnetic fields created by the beam power supply and focusing magnets. The sensitivity of modern machines is so much better (and some thought put into the idea of not scrambling the stuff you're examining) that there's hardly any risk worth mentioning.

While it's technically possible to damage things with X-rays, not at the levels you see in contemporary airport scanners. If they were turned up that high, there'd be other serious issues that would make your nonfunctional Xbox or laptop kinda moot.

I seriously doubt the laptop was damaged during the luggage inspection. It was most likely damaged during baggage handling. Absent a very strong rigid case, padding is worthless. Laptops can't withstand pressure and crushing damage. Just put your finger on the back of any laptop and press lightly. Watch the screen warp. Now imagine your laptop is at the bottom of a pile with several hundred pounds of luggage on top. Even if it's wrapped in the finest goose-down pillows, it's still got that many pound of pressure on the lid. Now watch the pile shift and it'll transfer shear force through all that to the laptop case, the lid slides independent of the base, damages the latch and cracks the corner.

I think absent some sort of insurance (homeowner's insurance may cover it, but the deductable and consequences of making a claim make that a questionable option) or purchase protection on the laptop, the OP is SOL.

darkgrue on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    darkgrue wrote: »

It doesn't. You can run electronics, including hard drives and most film (who owns a film camera?)

I do and I travel with it quite frequently, as long as you're not using 800+ speed film the scanning doesn't affect it.

Usagi on
  • Options
    Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My suggestion to most people that will be carrying delicate, fragile, or otherwise breakable items in their checked bags is to invest in a good hard sided suitcase. I know that this won't help your cause now, but for future travels, it might help prevent a situation like this again.

Susan Delgado on
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.