As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What do do after College?

halkunhalkun Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I seem to be stuck.

As of Jan 3rd, I had completed my coursework for a Bachelors Degree in business. On May 7th, I have my graduation. One would assume gonging bells and confetti. I have have my degree, a thing I have sought after for four years. (Actually, I started going to college in 1997, after I left the navy in 1996. I jumped in and out until I finally finished this year.)

What I find so bizarre is I am completely stuck on my next course of action. Here I have this diploma and I have no fucking idea what to do with it.

I currently work for $8.00 at a warehouse. The company is a hydraulics parts distributor. My job is to put together orders and give them to customers when they come in over the counter. That's it. One of the perks is that it allowed me to go to school and the job stability is rock-solid.

Well, now that school is done, I've decided to strike out, and take over the world. What surprised me was that, in taking that first step, I have opened the door and face planted directly into a brick wall.

I have no idea what to do...

My work history is really odd. I've had to restart my career three times now. The following is, I swear to God, how my life has gone...

Avionics Tech (Navy) -> Software Etc counter sales-> Arcade counter sales -> ISP Tech Support -> Database programmer -> Hospital Janitor -> Warehouse guy -> College Student -> ???

So now, I don't know what to do next. I mean, I'm absolutely clueless. All I know is $8.00 is no longer cutting it as I look down the barrel of student loans that will be coming due in the next six months.

I know this is a dumb question, but what does someone with a bachelors in business do? I got it because I wanted to move back to Japan again, and companies in Japan will only sponsor people with four year degrees. It would seem as I started to look, Japanese jobs are very hard to get. I was told to try to get a job with a company in America and have the U.S. company send you over. Not only will you get paid much more, but the U.S. company can be a placenta of sorts.

I want to back to Japan again. I have no family, so I can just get up and go. Maybe you guys can pick my brain and see what it is I'm supposed to be doing. I feel like it's in front of me, but I just don't see it....

Here's what's really bugging me. When I talk to Japanese, they are pretty shocked I can't find work. I have an extensive wireless electronics background, and speak Japanese better than most Americans, and have a computer background. I just can't figure out a job that puts these together.

Ummm...Help?

halkun on

• Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Business education with a huge background in tech? Look for a position as a translator for a tech company.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My best advice comes from personal experience: saturate the market with applications.

Seriously, when I moved from a small town to a modestly large city, I had no idea what I would end up doing. I had finished university, sure, but my double major in Anthro and Psych was none too lucrative. What did I do? Well, I applied to every job I had a skillset for. I ended up getting a job in a totally unrelated field (web development and technical writing), for a great HIV/AIDS research company that cared more about my personal experience and skills than my degree and job history. It's incredibly remunerative, and very rewarding work. And I only got the job because I sent out perhaps 75 applications in a one-month span.

Short story? Just get applications out there. Tons of them. You are bound to find something interesting and well-paying.

naporeon on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If all you want to do is go to Japan, you should look into JET.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I spent 6 months doing volunteer work with an (Uk based) organisation called VSO. I am sure there is a USA based equivalent. I spent 3 months of this abroad (Sri Lanka) and I would reccomend it to anyone not knowing to do with themselves at any given instant.

LewieP on
  • Options
    XenosX_XenosX_ Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Business education with a huge background in tech? Look for a position as a translator for a tech company.
    ScannerError.gif
    Yes, please, do this.

XenosX_ on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Thanatos wrote:
    If all you want to do is go to Japan, you should look into JET.

I'm too old for JET. The cutoff at my school was 30 years old. (I'm 32)

halkun on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Your school offers no advising or counseling services or job fairs? Most people go to school and change jobs by utilizing the resources that the school offers. You've got 4-5 months to keep your ear to the ground -- go talk to counselors and the like to get a bead on when things happen.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I went to the Job place, but he just told me a good position would become a manager in retail.

I was really to atonished to say anything back.

That and I really don't know what to do... I have no idea what kind of jobs are out there that I would even care for.

One of my big issues is that now that I don't have school anymore, I also don't have a G.I. bill paycheck either. I'm bleeding about $500 a month and I only make $12,000 a year. I bearly made the car payment last month and I'm going to have people knocking on my door soon for some cash.

halkun on
  • Options
    LBLB Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I believe the cutoff age for JET is 40 years old (there is was a JET in my prefecture who was well over 30 last year). The problem with JET is that you have to start applying very early, and the whole process takes months. I think the applications were due in December, so you wouldn't be able to do it next year, anyway.

You could look into other English teaching positions in Japan, though - Nova, Aeon, Geos, James, and American Language School are companies that spring to mind without even doing any research. Most cities also have smaller, independent English schools as well. In addition, many public schools are hiring private ALTs (Assistant Language Teachers) because the JET Program costs too much for them. I know quite a few people who started as an English teacher and made contacts leading to other jobs, either teaching in a university (although you may need more than a BA for that) or to something completely unrelated.

I also know people who have done what you friend suggested, and found a job in the US that got them transferred to Japan. If you have Japanese proficiency (have you taken the JLPT?) it shouldn't be too hard to find something.

LB on