As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me an HD Camcorder

saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello all,

Wedding/Honeymoon is coming up in 4 months, and me and the fiance will be heading to Australia/New Zealand for the honeymoon. We recently purchased a Canon T1i SLR camera, which does HD video, but I find it a bit cumbersome to keep focus, especially when moving around. On videos where the camera is focused on a target which does not move around much depth-wise, it's fine, but the focusing is slow and I'm not pleased really with the results.

So I'd like to get an HD camcorder for some behind-the-scenes video recording before/at the wedding, as well as have it with us when we go on our honeymoon.

Some of the things I'm looking for:
1) 1080p recording
2) Good optical zoom (is 20X asking too much?)
3) Lightweight
4) Flash/Removable Flash storage

Since I've already pledged my allegiance to Canon, I was looking at the Canon Vixia HF S10 or S20:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-VIXIA-Flash-Memory-Camcorder/dp/B00322OP3Q/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

But the optical zoom is only 10X... I think I can do better, but Canon doesn't seem to make a camcorder with better zoom, so I'm open to suggestions.

As well, if you feel there's anything else I need/don't need, I'm open to those comments too.

banner_160x60_01.gif
saint2e on

• Options
    ObsidianiObsidiani __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    You need a follow focus rig to properly use a DSLR for video. They tend to be expensive but the quality of video from a DSLR beats regular handheld cameras. Redrock Micro is supposedly coming out with a wireless follow focus kit soon that costs less than $500, but they also have regular follow focus rigs using gears. Check it out before buying a camcorder.

The HD Camcorder is not going to give you the same depth of field effect you get from a DSLR (everything filmed on the camcorder would be in focus 100% of the time), which will instantly give your recordings a poor quality "video" look, rather than a cinematic film style.

Obsidiani on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What's your price range? I think Canon has several camcorders in the Vixia line that have a 15x zoom.

That one you linked too seems to be on the high end. I think the HF "S" models are very much on the "pro" side of the pro-sumer continuum. I really doubt that for what you want it to do, spending more on the HF S series is worth it. Stick with the regular HF series.

You can probably get by with something like this one, which is very similar in features and has a 15x zoom: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-VIXIA-Memory-Internal-Optical/dp/B001OI2YTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267802401&sr=8-1

I have a Canon HG20, which is very similar but has a 60GB hard drive and an flash memory slot. We pretty much just use it for the baby, but it is a great camcorder and I can tell it's going to serve us well for a long time. I think the Canon Vixia line is pretty great--very user-friendly but with lots of settings to fiddle with if you want to.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    20X? Really? Gonna be peeping on someone? Cause you're going to have terrible shake at 20X. ;-)

20X HD camcorder is going to be semi-pro. If you really need to be that long you can get a cam with a threaded barrel and pick up a 1.5-2.0x tele-converter; affixing a converter to the lens will always reduce the amount of light enterring, add some distortion, and some may impinge upon full use of the zoom. They can also interfere with the AF, so it's not a great solution, but it might work.

That said, Canon is awesome for affordable HD camcorders. Though be careful with non-Canon accessories*, I got a non-Canon charger and it fried my Canon battery. Also my non-Canon batteries do not tell the cam how much charge they have left. This has 15X, I have an earlier version with only 10X. If you need 20X, wait 12-18 months and stuff'll probably come out at the same pricepoint with 20X; obviously that doesn't help in your timeframe, but it's just the way it is right now. I think there are some non-Canon HD cams that do 20X, but I don't think they're 1080p.

If you follow that link, you should also be able to find a hotshoe light (the onboard flash on these things suck), hotshoe mic, and teleconverters.

*Edit: I'm speaking specifically of using non-Canon HD camcorder accessories. I haven't had any problems using knockoff accessories on my 10D.

Djeet on
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    With your T1i in full manual mode, crank up the ISO to 1600 or 3200 or however high it goes, make sure the shutter is at 1/50 or 1/30, and iris down the f-stop. So if your lens does f/2.8 when it's wide open, try to make it f/5.6 or higher (f/9 or f/11 would be great). This will give you deeper focus and more leeway on keeping things in focus. If you're shooting outdoors, this is totally doable and will still get you great video. Indoors you'll run into exposure problems pretty quickly where you'll have to iris up again and have the same shallow depth of field that makes it so hard to focus things. But at the same time, you'll get decent video in darker places that a normal video cam wouldn't be able to get anything.

I'm a pro video guy and I pretty much only shoot on my Canon 7D nowadays, which is the big brother of your cam, so feel free to ask me any questions about it.

jimb213 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    jimb213, thanks for the tips. I'm gonna try this out tonight when I get home.

Djeet, I'm basing my 20X requirement on the fact that I had a 10X Optical Zoom lens I had on my Canon Powershot S1 IS camera when travelling around Europe. Came in really handy, and as a result, bigger = better in my books. The 15X will help I'm sure.

Thanks so far for the tips, guys.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    saint2e wrote: »
    jimb213, thanks for the tips. I'm gonna try this out tonight when I get home.

Djeet, I'm basing my 20X requirement on the fact that I had a 10X Optical Zoom lens I had on my Canon Powershot S1 IS camera when travelling around Europe. Came in really handy, and as a result, bigger = better in my books. The 15X will help I'm sure.

Thanks so far for the tips, guys.

no problem. I love helping people out with nice cameras. One warning though is that if it's already dark when you get home, you probably won't get very good results with the tight iris. It's most useful in bright sunlight where you need to stop down the exposure anyways.

Good luck!

jimb213 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I'm hoping the ISO increase you talk about compensates. I'll play around with it though. I've learned up on all the settings and played with the camera for hours upon end, so I think what you've told me will be good as a starting point. :)

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    so how did the testing go?

jimb213 on