As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Messaging Client Installed onto a USB Drive?

RdrRdr RiderRegistered User regular
I work at a job where they like to use Websense and blocks out 90% of the internets.

A couple years ago I thought I read somewhere that Pidgin could be installed on a thumb drive and used from there but when I try to Google for info I can't find anything.

If someone knows of a instant messenger like Pidgin or a way to connect to aim/gtalk on a thumb drive please let me know.

Rdr on

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If it is blocked on the network, you will still not be able to do messaging. Not being able to install a program isn't the same thing as not being able to use a specific network-based service.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, that's not gonna do much good. Can you use MSN web messenger?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Impersonator on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also, they might fire you. They'll certainly know that you brought in a thumb drive in order to use some network software that they deliberately blocked; it goes through their network.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pidgin Portable
    However, everyone else is probably right about the network being blocked.

lunchbox12682 on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Sorry, but this isn't the place to ask how to circumvent your workplace's security measures. Maybe if you did more work and less slacking off, you wouldn't feel the need to chat on your company's dime. Just a thought.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.