As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GAME ON]D6 Starwars over Vent.

SonarSonar Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Critical Failures
I've run games over vent in the past, and seeing as there is interest in Starwars D6 I'll offer it up.

Anyone interested should check in here.

You will need access to the Starwars Second Edition rule set.

This is what I'm thinking.

Sessions will be scheduled as needed, given the easy on the fly nature of West End rules I anticipate doing a lot of 1 on 1 sessions. So if you feel like playing, your character is in a story position to do so, and I'm around on Vent (more often than not) you can simply ask if I'm up to play.

We'll need a dice rolling item or else I'll role them for you. There are many options available over the internet, we'll just need to decide on one.

I play fast and lose with Starwars, going for the 1920's cliff hanger feel you find in the movies. Entire adventures with 4 people should take only 1 session. (4 to 6 hours) I'm a big fan of role and shout and keep the story moving.

I'm willing to take 10 players. HOWEVER. I'm only willing to take a group of around 5 people. More becomes untenable. So I'm willing to take around 5 players as a group, and the rest as active PC's on their own. Maybe hooking up with each other for a few sessions but nothing permenant. I'm also willing to take on an anti player.

The anti player plays the bad guy. His story revolves around hatching evil schemes for the party to thwart. I would only consider taking on someone with excellent story skills and a very good sense of screwing over the player characters rather than the players. This player must be willing to be defeated at every turn, to have hours and hours of planning and preparation fall in around his ears on a regular basis and of course have his superiors rip him a new one every time this happens. They also get lots of resources, their own spiffy evil lair and can make a damn interesting story on their own.

Players interested should PM me with a background proposal, ultimate evil scheme, and character description. Lame cliches need not apply and I'll need to be blown away by what I read before I accept someone.

If the game gets really popular I'll look at co GMs.

Setting:

Starwars After New Hope and before Strikes Back.

Ground Rules.

Basic Ruleset characters.

NO EXPANDED UNIVERSE.
NO you can't go find the Katana fleet.
NO you can't find the secret research factory and try out the Death Star prototype.
NO you can't be a neogri jedi.
Lets keep it simple shall we?

*pant pant pant*

I will be using Starwars Game books put out for the original trilogy. I've got most of them.

I specialize in coming up with stories on the fly so instead of giving you a concept I'll just say that if you are interested make a character and post it with background. The only suggestion I'll make is that the more the characters can potentially impact large events the more likely they won't be in a position to do so. What I mean is, if you make a big party of all jedi characters you'll never come near any of the movie items. You'll be on the other side of the galaxy. You won't have a chance to assassinate Vader, you won't have a chance to blow up the Death Star, you won't have a chance to kill Jaba. You won't be allowed to muck up the official story line. A party of smugglers might make a side trip to Tatooine and run a mission for Jaba. A party of rebels might hook up with Ackbar for a significant battle. A party of "I'm leet watch how cool I am as I prove my manliness against Vaders lightsaber!" isn't going near minor characters. They won't even get a chance to slaughter an Ewok.

Oh and this is firmly a Han shoots first universe. Just cause.

Questions, thoughts, or ideas welcome.

I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
steam_sig.png
caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
Sonar on

• UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    As a veteran of SWD6 and a fan of the 'small characters, big universe' approach (as well as the Imperial/Rebellion era; I ran a play-by-post adventure that made Bumblefuck Sector, Outer Rim still seem like an unimaginably vast economic powerhouse, far from the minimalism of the post-movie novels), I'd be interested in playing this game.

However, I don't have a computer with Vent that I can casually play on. If 3-4 other people get together and schedule a time in the evenings I probably could manage to be available.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is this the West End Games StarWars D6? I have a question about skills. It says that any skill that doesn't have a die assigned to it you are supposed to use your attributes die to roll for it. But what if you have die assigned to it, and your attribute is higher than it? Wouldn't it just be better to not assign any die to it and use your attribute die to roll it?

rayofash on
  • SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You add the attribute to your skill.

4 Dex and 2 Blaster would be 6D for blaster skill rolled. Thats the basis of the game, take whatever modifier you have, like a skill or an item attribute, and add it to the relevant attribute.

Armor that gives 2d protection means that you add that to your strength to resist taking damage from a blaster hit. If your strength is 2d, then thats 4 dice rolled.

Say I have an elite Stormtrooper firing at a guy with the stuff above. The Stormtrooper has 2d+1 in Blaster, plus a special optical helmet that auto targets for +2 (pips, not dice) so his skill is 3d Blaster. If his Dex is 2d+2 then his blaster skill is 5D+2.

Lets say he rolls 3, 4, 2, 1, and 6 on the wild die. Plus 2. So he rolls a 18.

The character above doesn't have anything in Dodge (a dex skill) so he rolls straight Dex of 3D to try to avoid the hit.

4, 5, and 4

Thats a great roll, but doesn't beat the 18. So he gets hit.

Then you roll the Stormtroopers weapon damage against the dudes Strength to see if he took damage.

The dude has 4 dice, (2 strength and 2 armor) and rolls : 3, 4, 2, and 5

The Stormtroopers blaster does 3d damage: 4, 4, and 2.

The dude takes no damage, go armor!

Lets say the Stormtroopers bolt does get through, and he rolls 6,6, and 6.

The difference is 4.

That rates him at Wounded on the damage chart. He'll have some trouble next round.

Note that these numbers are arbitrary. Human average is 2d, and equipment modifiers to attributes usually don't exceed 1D unless its really special, like Mandolorian armor. A blaster skill of 7 (just the skill) is just about universally the best around, able to compete with Han Solo.

And a note on pips.

The dice go in three levels. A Die level and Two Pip levels. The progression is 1D, 1D + 1, 1D + 2, 2D, 2D+1, 2D+2, 3D, etc.

Sonar on
    steam_sig.png
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    To sum up, Skills can't be lower because they are a subset to their Attributes. It's like asking what if the Sears Tower's radio tower ended up making the building shorter.

To ramble on further, it can technically be considered that a character has all skills, but they merely have the same die as their Attribute and only the ones they've used and studied are higher (as opposed to systems where you incur additional penalties for attempting skills you haven't specifically learned).

The proper form to write up a character sheet is to always add up a skill's dice and pips to its attribute, since it needs to be done anyway to figure out how many dice and points to use and how many character points it'll cost to study and improve a skill (in fact I can't recall any instance you really need to have immediate access to how many D a skill is over its Attribute; it honestly just seems to be in incorrect form to write a sheet up as such).

If a character with 3D Dexterity uses a blaster without a Blaster skill, he'll roll just 3D, as he has no additional experience with the weapon. If he decides to 'learn' Blaster afterwards, He'll improve in the skill by gaining one pip (point) over Dexterity; his character sheet will then list Blaster at 3D+1, meaning he adds 1 point to his three dice roll results.

EDIT: Sonar, you may want to consider running an adventure on the forum, which is by default more accessible to PAers and provides more in=depth responses and narration. Although I am now back on a computer that can have Ventrillo.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Theres a forum game already.
    Play by post is sloooooooow compared to the feel you want in Starwars.

Sonar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2007
    I can't see why an Imperial-era game would conflict. Half the reason I didn't join that game.

And I've had some well-paced experiences with PBP, particularly when specific session times are scheduled. I find the opportunity to generate quality on-the-fly characters, items, and mishaps enjoyable as well (especially reduces that damnable minimalist syndrome of 'every ship is a YT-1300, every planet is Tatooine, every bounty hunter is a Rodian...').

But to each his own. Perhaps I should run such an adventure just to get back on my feet, now that I've got my computer and its notes again.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • KaunKaun Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i would be happy to play but im not familar with the d6 system...
    im also in australia so i may strugle to be on at the same time as many of your other players.

Kaun on