Options

Final Fantasy: Nice Thread

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Games and Technology
In this thread we continue our discussions on Final Fantasy XIII, including....

How it relates to past entries in the series.
nx9ijk.jpg

Or how cute Vanille is.
oum8v8.jpg

Or you can keep talking about these guys, who are currently taking a break, but are bound to show up again sooner than later.
dpv6tl.jpg

Or you can go back even further and discuss the sprite-based classics.
14d0nb4.jpg

Just make sure to respect your fellow paw-paw daddies and mark your spoilers.
2n9vrzp.jpg

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jesus christ that Vanille.

So cute.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also, Hope?
    I hear he's a whiny little bitch.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm only a couple hours in, but so far I like everybody.

Sazh is pretty awesome so far, and I like his voice actor. Actually, everyone's voices are pretty good. I'm usually such a stickler, but the only one I feel is off sometimes is Vanille (just her battle quotes).

Also, baby chocobo is awesome.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also, Hope?

Eh, with good reason. I mean, you probably would have a bit of a chip on your shoulder too if
    You watched your mom die right in front of you.

I mean, really, I see him as this game's Vivi, what with this internal struggle of self worth and all. He gets better over time, really. Then again, I'm only about 10 hours in, so I suppose that could change.

Dourin on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I liked this thread better when XIII wasn't out yet

Now it's like impossible to keep up with :(

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Three pages early. Does getting the thread seriously matter that much? Goddamn.

Anyway I'm gonna avoid the thread until I've played more, but so far the 360 version looks pretty amazing so I'm satisfied. If the PS3 looks even better, well good for it, I guess.

Adus on
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I really don't get the Vanille hate. She's adorable.

Enjoying the hell out of this game, but I am now too drunk to continue. Thank god I only have half a day of work tomorrow. 8-) I love it now that I am using paradigms.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dourin wrote: »
    Also, Hope?

Eh, with good reason. I mean, you probably would have a bit of a chip on your shoulder too if
    I just want to point out that isn't my personal opinion of the character, more that that seemed to be the prevailing attitude in the previous thread.
    Really, even if I ever thought of him as a whiny bitch (which I didn't), the moment Lightning gave him that knife would've shattered that opinion anyway.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm not the world's biggest fan of Hope, but I think pretty much everyone so far has had really solid VA.

That isn't to say that some of the lines don't come out hokey, but I blame the script for that. I'm very impressed with Sazh's, which pre-release I was expecting to be the hardest to make work.

Who is Snow's VA though? I swear it sounds like Cam Clarke, but maybe not.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Isn't he the guy who did Kanji's voice in Persona 4?

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    IMDB says that it's Troy Baker.

Who also did Kanji in Persona 4, yes.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

"You saying I like dudes?"

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »

"You saying I like dudes?"
    Dude rides two girls at the same time, so no.

On the other hand, he did form a group of barely clad young men to go out exploring the wilderness with, so...

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I'm like four hours in and so far I've laughed lots, the story's not bad, the characters are hella engaging, everything's gorgeous and the battles are fun. What part of this game was supposed to be tedious and boring again?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    PaperPrittPaperPritt Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm about 5 hours in, and so far Sazh is the high point of the show. Definetly love the character and the VA. Vanille is grating on my nerves a little bit, and Hope is so far a whiny insufferable little emo kid.

Battle system is hella fun, but hrmmm. I wish it would stop handing me things at a snail's pace. I don't need 20 battles to understand new concepts!

PaperPritt on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Every character that I disliked somewhat in the beginning I like more now, even Vanille.

Except for Hope----the more I see that kid the more I find him to be an insufferable twat.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Can I just say that Launch is the most awesome Commando passive ability?

Because it is.

Awesome.

Especially if it leads to you juggling some formerly menacing enemy.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Every character that I disliked somewhat in the beginning I like more now, even Vanille.

Except for Hope----the more I see that kid the more I find him to be an insufferable twat.

He's not Mack from Lost Odyssey, so he's ok in my book.

Dourin on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Can I just say that Launch is the most awesome Commando passive ability?

Because it is.

Awesome.

Especially if it leads to you juggling some formerly menacing enemy.

It's so much fun on bosses. Also, toss in Smite for good measure.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Goddamnit. I was all set to happily throw this on the Goozex list and see if it trickled through eventually, but reading this thread is too much and I'm going to have to break my backlog rules (at this point, most definately relegated to guidelines) and buy this with actual money.

At least I'll force myself to finish Kingdom Hearts first. Stalled at Halloween town before my attention was stolen by Endless Ocean 2.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I liked this thread better when XIII wasn't out yet

Now it's like impossible to keep up with :(

I kinda think there should be both a generic FF thread and a FFXIII thread. I can imagine pre-XIII talk being overshadowed by all the people talking about FFXIII.

Anyway, played the game a bit more today (aka, more than the 10 minutes I played yesterday) and her accent sounds like an americanised Australian accent (as in, the voice actress is an Australian that's trying to sound like she doesn't have a stick up her ass). Anyone saying she has a NZ accent has no bloody clue what they're talking about though ([vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0GHHn4bWio]these are NZ accents[/vidurl]).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    We tried that before. Threads got merged into one after awhile.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I had a dream last night that I got the game. It was pretty nice!

But I don't have it. I will, but not for a bit. :(

Icemopper on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like this game. The battle system is simple, which I like because normally I am terrible at RPG's.

Igort on
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm wondering when Lightning is going to get OFF the rag.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Repost because apparently I missed the new thread boat.
    smeej wrote: »
    I am enjoying this game. I can't wait to unlock the full potential of the battle system.

Also, that one review that was bitching about how long it takes to open treasure chests was super stupid.

A few pages late but I wanted to comment on this. When I saw that review I thought treasure chests were going to be this 10 second long animation that would get increasingly irritating (like opening big chests in Zelda OOT). This first time I actually opened a chest in FF13 I was like o_O? That's it? I actually like the animation.

Put me down for having an absolute blast with the game so far. I don't really mind having my party limited yet, because I'm having fun with whatever I'm doing. I wish Chrysalium whatever it's called was more choice-oriented though, because I do feel like I'm not having to make actual decisions; I feel like everything is going to get unlocked sooner or later.

Edit: Also worth noting that the game is still absolutely beautiful on the 360, despite doomsday assertions of terrible performance and perpetual artifacting.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Was it not megatokyo or something? I'm quite ALOT of what megatokyo said is actually utter bullshit.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got in about 4 hours of FFXIII last night which took me midway through Chapter 3. I wanted to get down my early thoughts on the game. Mostly because it'll help me organize where I stand on things, but also because, well, why not share? Character stuff will get spoiler tags just to be safe.

Lightning
    I thought she was awesome from the opening cut scene. I really can't say more than that. She started at awesome and pretty much has stayed at awesome.

Snow
    Every time Lightning punches him, I get a warm feeling inside. The whole running around screaming "I'm a hero!" and "I'll protect Cacoon!" things are fine when the character is like 14, not when the character looks like he's in his 20s. Speaking of ages, Serah looked about 14, which makes Snow look like a creepy pedophile to me along with everything else.

Sachz
    He's the only character that I currently have no firm opinion of. On one side, he's had some fun comedic moments and has been willing to take a stand. On the other side, he seems to let himself be controlled by his fears, which makes him look like a dick sometimes. In the end, its evened out for me so far.

Vanille
    I'll admit, I didn't like her at first. When everything is going to hell, that constant cheerful, upbeat attitude really grates on me. However, in one of her voiceovers she talked about how whenever she is terrified she smiles and laughs, and how when things are bad she retreats into her memories. When I started viewing her attitude as a mask she was wearing to hide her real feelings from everyone, I grew to like it.

Hope
    With the things I had read, I wasn't expecting to like Hope, but I do. I can easily understand the emotional breakdown that he's going through (what with his mother dying and getting what he's been taught all his life is a death sentence) but even then he's shown some signs of maturity (such as telling Vanille that confronting snow won't bring his mother back). I'm looking forward to how he grows.

General thoughts on the gameplay:

PARADIGM - Once I learned how to really use this, I found it to be awesome. It took me 3 deaths against a boss to finally figure it out, but when it clicked and I slaughtered the boss, it was so awesome.

Graphics - This game is simply beautiful. I've already had a couple of "Oh wow" moments from it, which is outstanding.

Characters - As I mentioned above, except for Snow, I really like all of the characters. Hopefully he'll grow up.

Level up - I like the basics of the Crystals, using CP to move around it gaining more stats and abilities.

The Party - This goes beyond just the characters. This is the first time I feel since FFVI that I feel the story doesn't have 1 main character, but has a party of main characters. I love it and hope it stays this way.

Dislikes:
    Can't change party - If I have 4 people in my party, I should be allowed to decide which three fight, damn it.

Linear Dungeons are Too Linear - In the first 4 hours, there have been no real side paths to the game. I am hoping later on in it, the dungeons may branch out a bit more. I'd be happy with 1 main path and then a couple of winding side paths that lead to awesome treasure.

The three hours it took to get the level up system open. That really sucked. By the second hour I was saying to myself "When can I level?"

The Level Up system is locked - Almost all of my characters have at least one of their PARADIGMs completely leveled up. So how do I move the damn thing from Level 1 to Level 2 to get more stat boosts and abilities? The leveling system should not be closed off like this, damn it.

Overall:

I am really enjoying the game, and was very disappointed had to go to work this morning rather than simply being able to stay home and play more.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My hands...

My haaaaands...
    :whistle:

Dunxco on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    People with character complaints just need to give the game some more time. All of the typical cliches you think these people are, they aren't. You just don't know anything about them yet. Let the flashbacks fill you in and give them time to develop.

Also here is a quick rundown on the world of the game without any storyline spoilers for those that don't Cie whats going on. (har har)
    Cocoon is a city that floats above the surface of the Planet pulse, its in the atmosphere not in orbit. The Fal'Cie are large mechanical beings. They use humans as tools by turning them into L'Cie, once marked as an L'Cie you either complete the objective (Focus) given to you by the Fal'Cie and turn into a crystal OR you either ignore your Focus or don't complete it in time and you turn into a mindless Cie'th mutant / monster as punishment.

The Fal'Cie of Cocoon keep humans protected and safe from the dangerous world of Pulse. No one in Cocoon has to worry about being 'cursed' as a L'Cie. Humans in Cocoon are raised to believe that Pulse is a horrible place worse than hell and that any Fal'Cie or L'Cie from Pulse are evil and only wish to destroy Cocoon.

The game picks up when a Fal'Cie from Pulse was discovered in a ruin next to the town of Bodhum, so fearing that some of the people in the town might have been turned into Pulse L'Cie, the leaders of Cocoon decided to purge the entire town and send everyone to Pulse (supposedly, in reality they were just going to be executed).

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also here is a quick rundown on the world of the game without any storyline spoilers for those that don't Cie whats going on. (har har)
    Cocoon is a city that floats above the surface of the Planet pulse, its in the atmosphere not in orbit. The Fal'Cie are large mechanical beings. They use humans as tools by turning them into L'Cie, once marked as an L'Cie you either complete the objective (Focus) given to you by the Fal'Cie and turn into a crystal OR you either ignore your Focus or don't complete it in time and you turn into a mindless Cie'th mutant / monster as punishment.

The Fal'Cie of Cocoon keep humans protected and safe from the dangerous world of Pulse. No one in Cocoon has to worry about being 'cursed' as a L'Cie. Humans in Cocoon are raised to believe that Pulse is a horrible place worse than hell and that any Fal'Cie or L'Cie from Pulse are evil and only wish to destroy Cocoon.

The game picks up when a Fal'Cie from Pulse was discovered in a ruin next to the town of Bodhum, so fearing that some of the people in the town might have been turned into Pulse L'Cie, the leaders of Cocoon decided to purge the entire town and send everyone to Pulse (supposedly, in reality they were just going to be executed).

Ya know, it's cool that you're providing this info for new players but uh... shouldn't a game be able to stand on its own as a coherent story without having to read a post on a game forum?

Has anybody else noticed that when you go up to an enemy and swing your mighty gunblade at them, the game kinda pauses, you black out for a second, and your swing never connects? You never actually hit the enemy. It's weird. It's like you're just about ready to hit them, but you just kinda stand still and stare at them. There's no payoff, you just stop at the last instant. There's no attacking. You charge into the enemy and then... you both just wait. Standing in mute shock or something. What's going on? Why didn't you hit it? And why didn't it hit you? There seems to be an uneasy truce between the two parties. The moment lingers in the air. Then there's an orange flash, and the enemy's now standing far away from you. You were right next to it before, eye to eye, but it's now located about five or six feet away. Did it back away? What created this gap in space and time? What happened? Why didn't you swing? Why did the enemy teleport away from you? It's very confusing.

Also, the scenery changes. If you encountered the enemy in a tunnel, you'll end up fighting it in a giant open room after blacking out. It's really weird, you and the creature are teleported to this other room or something. The tunnel where you were in, it's nowhere to be found. Where did you go? Why is it a large empty room now? How did you get there? It's never explained.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    People with character complaints just need to give the game some more time. All of the typical cliches you think these people are, they aren't. You just don't know anything about them yet. Let the flashbacks fill you in and give them time to develop.

That goes in line with what I heard about the game, it is supposed to subvert some of the tropes.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Ya know, it's cool that you're providing this info for new players but uh... shouldn't a game be able to stand on its own as a coherent story without having to read a post on a game forum?

Most of the spoiler can be gleaned just from listening to the dialogue. Some people were still struggling with it, however.
    Has anybody else noticed that when you go up to an enemy and swing your mighty gunblade at them, the game kinda pauses, you black out for a second, and your swing never connects? You never actually hit the enemy. It's weird. It's like you're just about ready to hit them, but you just kinda stand still and stare at them. There's no payoff, you just stop at the last instant. There's no attacking. You charge into the enemy and then... you both just wait. Standing in mute shock or something. What's going on? Why didn't you hit it? And why didn't it hit you? There seems to be an uneasy truce between the two parties. The moment lingers in the air. Then there's an orange flash, and the enemy's now standing far away from you. You were right next to it before, eye to eye, but it's now located about five or six feet away. Did it back away? What created this gap in space and time? What happened? Why didn't you swing? Why did the enemy teleport away from you? It's very confusing.

Also, the scenery changes. If you encountered the enemy in a tunnel, you'll end up fighting it in a giant open room after blacking out. It's really weird, you and the creature are teleported to this other room or something. The tunnel where you were in, it's nowhere to be found. Where did you go? Why is it a large empty room now? How did you get there? It's never explained.

Hasn't this always happened in FF games?

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    smeej wrote: »
    I really don't get the Vanille hate. She's adorable.

Enjoying the hell out of this game, but I am now too drunk to continue. Thank god I only have half a day of work tomorrow. 8-) I love it now that I am using paradigms.

I don't hate her, but something really seems off with her voice at times. I mean weird accent aside, it almost feels like it was mixed outside of the audio of the rest of the game. The sound in general has been funky for me though. The vehicle sounds seem to heavily drown out the voices half the time, and the music drowns out EVERYTHING for me. This is one of the really rare cases that I turned on subtitles because the voices during big story sequences are kind of muddled behind everything else going on.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Has it? Who can say? I dunno, I never owned a playstation or playstation 2.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Anyone who's played a Final Fantasy game before can say. This is not an action game. It's moving you into the battle engine. FF games have done this since the original Final Fantasy in 1987 (with the exception of FFXII which ran more like an MMORPG). All you're doing in the field map is triggering combat, you're not actually engaging the enemy.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited March 2010

As far as I can tell (having only really played 6, 7, and 8), FF games have always been "wander wander wander SUCKED INTO RANDOM BATTLE SCENE." The only difference seems to be that now you encounter the monsters as you go, which is slightly less jarring. It also gives you an element of control over preemptive strikes instead of having it be completely random, which is nice.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Delta, everything I said in that spoiler is told to you within the first two hours of the game. Some people have just missed it because the game throws a lot of terminology at you quickly. There's also logs in the menu you can access that clarify these terms as well.

I am glad that this game doesn't hold your hand everywhere you go with character that needlessly points and explains "This is what this is, and that is what that is." to the other characters in the game, who already know what everything in their home is. It makes the character interactions much more believable.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Delta, everything I said in that spoiler is told to you within the first two hours of the game. Some people have just missed it because the game throws a lot of terminology at you quickly. There's also logs in the menu you can access that clarify these terms as well.

I am glad that this game doesn't hold your hand everywhere you go with character that needlessly points and explains "This is what this is, and that is what that is." to the other characters in the game, who already know what everything in their home is. It makes the character interactions much more believable.

I've seen the first two hours of the game, and a lot of what you had in your spoiler tags is really not communicated. Or, it's communicated so poorly that your explanation is only vaguely alluded to.

EDIT: RIP Corey Haim. A Lost Boy forever.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Okay, heres my first impressions.
    I'm in lake bahma or whatever you call it at the boss. (That big white crab ship/monster thingy).

Snow - annoying as fuck. I mean comon man...lets do a little check here:
    1) people you swore to protect - dead
    2) wife you swore would never become a f'alce - turned to crystal
    3) mom you promised to take care of - dead
    4) Kid she wanted you to watch out for - 'well i dont know who it was, so ill just protect the entire worlds children'.
    Stop calling yourself a hero you moron.

Vanille - She makes me uncomfortable. I mean okay I'll admit to liking the occasional hentai art and sure shes hot...but between her voice and her body language I'm convinced shes mentally retarded or has the emotional age of an 8 year old, which is kinda creepier then standard hentai.

Lightning - if she was a guy, I'd probably call her pathetically emo. as a girl the word just doesnt seem to fit. Shes like a female keanu reeves.

Hope - This kid cant yell at the stranger responsible for the death of his mom, yet he can fight monsters? Grow some balls for gods sake, this plot thread is getting old already.

Guy with afro full of birdshit - The CIC called. you have bird flu and the chicken has to be put down.

Plot so far - By putting us so deeply into an existing storyline with backstory only revealed as we go, it has not grabbed me yet. I'm starting to understand the basic plotline but im still waiting for the hook.

Fighting system - Granted, ive only experienced the start of the paragragrim system but even with that so far, it feels like with the exception of the occasional potion, im pressing one button the whole time. I know it will get slightly more complex but i get the feeling this 'dumbing down' of the options is something i like. Yes i could do manual the whole time, but the fights move so fast that you really cant stop to smell the roses.

Graphics - of course yes they are beautiful. I am however starting to get the feeling im playing 'dragons lair' with the linearity of it. (not to mention the campy feel of the characters).

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
This discussion has been closed.