As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Co-op games recommendations, please (4 person / Xbox 360)

RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Games and Technology
Some co-workers and I are looking for a selection of co-op games for Xbox 360 that we can all play together after hours. We did the campaign for Halo 3 and had a blast.

Are there any other games for 360 out there that allow 4 person co-op in campaign mode? We're into the teamwork and story aspect, not really so much vs play.

Thanks!

EDIT: Adding:

- This would be for play over Xbox live, not locally
- Full retail games preferred over Arcade games

Rothgarr on

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Castle Crashers. 2D Streets of Rage style beat-em-up. Available on XBLA for $15.

The story is very light ("Bad guy stole the princesses, GO BEAT HIM UP"), but it's a quite enjoyable game.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    Some co-workers and I are looking for a selection of co-op games for Xbox 360 that we can all play together after hours. We did the campaign for Halo 3 and had a blast.

Are there any other games for 360 out there that allow 4 person co-op in campaign mode? We're into the teamwork and story aspect, not really so much vs play.

Thanks!

Do you mean 4 people on the same 360 or each person has their own 360?

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Left 4 Dead 1 and Left 4 Dead 2 are right up your alley probably. Coop zombie killin.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Castle Crashers is great and cheap. It's just deep enough to hold your interest, but it's not terribly long.

Other than that...I could use some recommendations too. Halo's never really drawn me in, but Gears 1 and 2 were both pretty good.

Edit: Does L4D feature local co-op? I had the idea that you have to play it online for multiplayer.

Ballman on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If they are doing 4-player local co-op, L4D/L4D2 only allows 2-players locally.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Plus Halo ODST. Both Gears were good but only 2 person campaign. Rainbow Six Vegas:2 had 4 player co-op terrorist hunt (but only 2 player story for some dumb reason).

jefe414 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sorry, I mean 4 player over Xbox Live, NOT locally.

I'll update the OP

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If they are doing 4-player local co-op, L4D/L4D2 only allows 2-players locally.

System link it if they have a couple of boxes and tvs.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Co-Optimus is a good site for this, although their numbers can be misleading or wrong (I don't think Gears of War 2 has 5 player online co-op, just 2):

http://www.co-optimus.com/system/1/xbox_360.html

I'll throw Borderlands out there as a great looty shooter, but that depends on what you mean about the story aspect -- you just care that it's there, or you need it to be good? Borderlands's story isn't exactly The Brothers Karamazov or anything.

Call of Duty: World at War does have 4 player online co-op, I'm pretty sure.

EDIT: Did a pair of searches on Co-optimus for 360 games with 4 player online co-op using the single player content:

Retail games (32 gamse)
    XBLA games (21 games)

Orogogus on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    From that list, what are people's thoughts on Sacred 2 or Zombie Apocalypse?

Ballman on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ballman wrote: »
    From that list, what are people's thoughts on Sacred 2 or Zombie Apocalypse?

Sacred 2 is a decent, absolutely massive Diablo clone. Worth playing if you like that style of game, just be prepared for some menu wonkiness as it was ported from the PC. The nice thing is that online, you can be on opposite ends of the world doing your own thing or you can quest together.

Zombie Apocalypse is a twin stick shooter with zombies. It's fun for a little while, and nice enough to look at, but has basically no depth.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Co-Optimus is a good site for this, although their numbers can be misleading or wrong (I don't think Gears of War 2 has 5 player online co-op, just 2):

http://www.co-optimus.com/system/1/xbox_360.html

I'll throw Borderlands out there as a great looty shooter, but that depends on what you mean about the story aspect -- you just care that it's there, or you need it to be good? Borderlands's story isn't exactly The Brothers Karamazov or anything.

Call of Duty: World at War does have 4 player online co-op, I'm pretty sure.

EDIT: Did a pair of searches on Co-optimus for 360 games with 4 player online co-op using the single player content:

Retail games (32 gamse)
    XBLA games (21 games)

heh. co-optimus is actually where I started my search. But we got screwed by seeing that "Gears of War 2 is 5 player co-op" when it's really not. That's why I figured I'd ask here.

as for story, I think it helps because it gives direction, goals, and accomplishment. Plus there's a definitive end where we can move on to another game. So I guess basically as long as it's "sort of on rails" and not a sandbox game it would be a good game choice for us.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well it's 5 player co-op in the Horde mode (I think that's what it's called on GoW2).

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    Well it's 5 player co-op in the Horde mode (I think that's what it's called on GoW2).

Oh yeah, I'm an idiot. I loved playing that.

jefe414 on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think my first few recommendations would be Borderlands and Halo ODST. Maybe the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance games and Sacred 2 if your group enjoys that style of Diabloish overhead games -- clobber little thugs to level up your dudes, collect loot, fight bosses. Not that Borderlands's formula is necessarily so different, though.

Has anyone played Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce? How is that?

Orogogus on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Orogogus wrote: »
    I think my first few recommendations would be Borderlands and Halo ODST. Maybe the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance games and Sacred 2 if your group enjoys that style of Diabloish overhead games -- clobber little thugs to level up your dudes, collect loot, fight bosses. Not that Borderlands's formula is necessarily so different, though.

Has anyone played Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce? How is that?

From what I've read, it's Dynasty Warriors meets Monster Hunter. You go fight enemies like in DW, but they drop components that you can use to forge weapons like in MH.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565