As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lagomorph On] Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse (Season 3, PC/Mac/PSN - April!)

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The framerate in the Mac version is abysmal thus far. And this is on a computer that plays the first episode of TOMI flawlessly all the way through on "9". Even set on "1" it's miserable.

I smell a bug.

Edit: I regret not snapping the last shot of the intro. Would have been a great desktop BG.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Uh. I'm so bad at these things. I had to cheat one time thus far, and I feel terribly, filthy dirty for it.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Had to do it one more time. For those that are playing, these are what I needed to lookup info for:
    I had to figure out how to get Harry to accept the vacation card. I had already asked him about it, and then found out about the lottery winnings via the future vision, but I didn't attempt to give him the vacation card a second time until I looked it up and found out that's what I had to do.
    I had to cheat to see how to get Flint Paper to finish his meal/what the hard hat was for.

Here's hoping that by the second episode I'll have figured out how the logic in these games work and I'll be able to cruise through.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There has always been bizarre logic in point and clicks, ranging from those that make you feel smart afterwards to those that make you tear off your cat mustache in a rage induced fit. Maybe it's a sort of nostalgia power, where you do better if you've played Point and clicks as a kid,

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, all that demo just did is show me that I don't want to play it on PS3. It was stuttery and it was unwieldy.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mentioned this in the TF2 thread, but I'll mention it here: people who bought the game from Telltale will still be able to get the TF2 items.
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=288717#post288717

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    When you have your eurka moments with this game, it's so goddamn satisfying.
    Like how I figured out how to get Stinky out of his restaurant and onto Skunk'ape's ship.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    But really, how is the item placement? Can you point and click most of the time, or do you have to baby them to get them to mother goosing go where you want

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Like how I figured out how to get Stinky out of his restaurant and onto Skunk'ape's ship.

I had a eureka moment in the exact same spot! I felt so smart.

Spoit. I don't know what you mean. You can either use any combination of the wasd/arrows, or hold down the left cursor and drag it around to walk Sam. Clicking the right mouse button at that time makes him run.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    But really, how is the item placement? Can you point and click most of the time, or do you have to baby them to get them to mother goosing go where you want

I couldn't tell you, 'cause I never noticed. If you hated the controls in ToMI, they're essentially the same thing here. Like last time, I got used to them within two minutes and stopped thinking about them.

NOTICE: If you bought the game at the Telltale store, go here and get the TF2 unlocks.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Holy snap.

Massive, massive spoilers below. Don't click if you don't want to be spoiled.

Seriously.
    screenshot20100416at937.png

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I had a eureka moment in the exact same spot! I felt so smart.

Spoit. I don't know what you mean. You can either use any combination of the wasd/arrows, or hold down the left cursor and drag it around to walk Sam. Clicking the right mouse button at that time makes him run.

I just noticed that it was odd that Max kept jumping up on the counter.

From that point on the game was smooth sailing. I think My brain is starting to work properly with the game's logic.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Isn't that like the fourth time they've
    died?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Isn't that like the fourth time they've
    died?

I dunno.

To be fair this is my first Telltale S&M title.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I do like the click-and-drag HUD in this much much better than the distracting Hula Hoop of TOMI.

Though the thumbpad iconography IS a bit of a middle finger to PC players.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hey dudes.

Episode 2 is available for download.

GO GO GO

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, you know how they said that the new movement system would allow for more dramatic camera angles? This train isn't exactly what I'd call better. Unless a featureless wall taking up 90% of the unusable viewspace is the dramatic angles they were talking about.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Those jackasses didn't send me an email. How dare they!

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, you know how they said that the new movement system would allow for more dramatic camera angles? This train isn't exactly what I'd call better. Unless a featureless wall taking up 90% of the unusable viewspace is the dramatic angles they were talking about.

Maybe it's...part of the humor?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited May 2010

Maybe it's...part of the humor?

How so? Just look at how bad the camera gets once you walk around in the cabins at all

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bad Asp wrote: »
    I didn't like the voices in the trailer. I don't. I wish Telltale would change their strategy and hire Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson again.

Were you the one who was going to do something at PAX East regarding the old voice actors? Did that ever happen?

dclee on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Just wrapped it up. That was friggin' fantastic from beginning to end. I didn't have a single problem with this Episode, unlike the first one where I had a few sticking points.

Season Two was just released for the Mac so I might end up buying that by week's end.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ARGH! Still haven't got around to DL'ing ep 1, let alone playing it. So little time, so many games...

What's the buzz for puzzle quality on this series? Where would you stick it on the Telltale leaderboard? Which in my opinion currently goes:

Tales of MI
    S&M 2
    S&M 1
    Strongbad
    Wallace & Gromit

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Mr. EyeballMr. Eyeball Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If anyone's interested: 302 has just been released on steam.

Mr. Eyeball on
    vryplntwwereahisdeath.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    For those of you needing to catch up on Season 1 & 2:

If you pre-order Puzzle Agent for $9.95 you can get 50% of anything in the Telltale Store, which makes Sam & Max Seasons 1 & 2 $14.98 a piece.

I'll likely be grabbing Season Two tonight.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A Telltale made Layton ripoff? I'm surprisingly okay with that. I do wish they'd offer something other than discounts on other purchases for pre-orders though. I already own everything you have made Telltale!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    A Telltale made Layton ripoff? I'm surprisingly okay with that. I do wish they'd offer something other than discounts on other purchases for pre-orders though. I already own everything you have made Telltale!

Grab a T-Shirt of a soundtrack of hell the goddamn Strongbad E-Mail DVDs.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Mr. EyeballMr. Eyeball Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So.... (early game spoilers)
    Do you play as Sameth and Maximus for the entire game, or do you occasionally switch to Sam & Max?

Mr. Eyeball on
    vryplntwwereahisdeath.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So.... (early game spoilers)
    Do you play as Sameth and Maximus for the entire game, or do you occasionally switch to Sam & Max?
    You play the entire game as Sameth and Maximus, yes, but you'll get the occasional pull-out to Sam & Max watching the film so they can make some kind of commentary or give you a hint.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Bad AspBad Asp Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    dclee wrote: »
    I didn't like the voices in the trailer. I don't. I wish Telltale would change their strategy and hire Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson again.

Were you the one who was going to do something at PAX East regarding the old voice actors? Did that ever happen?

No, because I didn't meet anyone from Telltale at the convention. I'm sorry. D:

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    dclee wrote: »

No, because I didn't meet anyone from Telltale at the convention. I'm sorry. D:

I think the current voice actors do a great job.

I've more or less forgotten about the original voices entirely since I've been hearing these guys for so long.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Finished her up this afternoon.

I definitely liked it. The "Cinematic" based system definitely added a new layer of complexity that left me scratching my head once or twice.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    Finished her up this afternoon.

I definitely liked it. The "Cinematic" based system definitely added a new layer of complexity that left me scratching my head once or twice.

In the end it's a variation of future vision from Episode 1, but you're basically playing the game out of order. More or less you play the middle of the story first, then the first third and then the last third.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It is a little more complex than just the future vision, because instead of just giving you the hint you have to run around in that time period to figure out the hint for yourself.

Oh man, I also loved that we got to see the origin story of...
    Jorgen. No wonder he hates us so much.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It is a little more complex than just the future vision, because instead of just giving you the hint you have to run around in that time period to figure out the hint for yourself.

Oh man, I also loved that we got to see the origin story of...
    Jorgen. No wonder he hates us so much.

I'm assuming that means he appears in Season One or Two?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, he's in Season 2. Baby Amelia Earhart has appeared before as well.

I didn't like this episode as much as the first one. The 1930s schtick was awesome, but overall it felt much more disjointed and kind of buggy at times.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Season 2: Night of the Raving Dead

Which was one of my favorites, by the way.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Season 2: Night of the Raving Dead

Which was one of my favorites, by the way.

Welp, will buy it tonight then.

And I have Season One for the Wii...but I haven't played very much of it. Guess it's marathon time this weekend.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Season 3 has been really good so far - not quite up to Chariot of the Dogs level, but almost there.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Night of the Raving Dead has the series best/only senseless brick joke. Also, I think it's sort of the weakest of the second season, but still quite good.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png