As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Justified] City Primeval premieres 18 July, holy shit! (ALL THE SPOILERS)

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    PREACH OFF!

So, things definitely seem to be revving up.

Nice to get a good dose of Art and other PTSD marshal.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The Confrontation at the Truth house was great.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I feel so very very bad for Emma Mae.
    Not even that I think anybody is going to do horrible things to her but because there pretty much isn't any good way for this to end for her.

• Options
    Anyone else think (episode spoilers with regards to the church).

That the sister is going to play Boyd and his group? It seems little too convenient she happens to be sitting in the back, and happens to show displeasure where Boyd can see it. Feels like a con.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Anyone else think (episode spoilers with regards to the church).

That the sister is going to play Boyd and his group? It seems little too convenient she happens to be sitting in the back, and happens to show displeasure where Boyd can see it. Feels like a con.
    I dunno, even preachers gotta eat, need to pay to run those lights, feed them snakes.

Nice to see that Wynn has reclaimed his "Crazy Fucker" crown now that Quarles is out of the picture.

• Options
    Was Wynn really acting crazy? His move was well within his character and the smartest play when dealing with Boyd.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Oh, that wasn't like coo coo crazy but like bad ass crazy.

Unlike last season he came off as dangerous and unpredictable instead of just a zany lackey.

• Options
    To be fair to Wynn, Quarles was clearly insane, and so better to be behind the storm than in front of it. Wynn has always been a bad person though, like when Gary tried to use the football player as back up and Wynn tuned him up badly with no problem.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I wonder if Wynn will eventually get his time in the show to be a big bad, rather then a lackey?

• Options
    Nah he's just an example of the real organized crime in the show, he's frankfurt, and Justified deals in Harlan.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I also think that Tim is my favorite underdeveloped Marshal character. Especially the way he didn't want to take sides in the Art/Raylen squabble.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    So many good lines this ep.

"We're gonna eat lunch first, on account of if you shoot somebody and then we won't get to eat lunch..."

Love it.

And the more Art is in an episode, in general, the better that episode is. I can prove it. With science.

• Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I also think that Tim is my favorite underdeveloped Marshal character. Especially the way he didn't want to take sides in the Art/Raylen squabble.

My favorite Tim moment was in Season 2 (I think) where he's basically on Raylan-babysitting duty and they have some wacky adventures. Tim has a line where he says something like, "This shit gets me hard."

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    This episode was fantastic

Raylan's expression when the guy flung the chair down at the bar was hysterical

I love how perfectly he does the badass-who-is-really-tired-and-doesn't-want-to-deal-with-this-shit-anymore schtick

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    More Art and more Wynn Duffy is the quickest way to a great episode

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I think my favourite scene was with the family of Waldo.

I really just love how all the kids are trying to act all hard, and then the mum comes out and shuts it down. I think Justified has always had this brilliant way of defusing situations that, on other more 'flashy' shows would end up in enjoyable but less than realistic shoot-outs.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »

I really just love how all the kids are trying to act all hard, and then the mum comes out and shuts it down. I think Justified has always had this brilliant way of defusing situations that, on other more 'flashy' shows would end up in enjoyable but less than realistic shoot-outs.

I enjoy how Justified isn't afraid to portray white trash in a realistic light. The kindly old matriarch offering cheap booze to the cops while her kids pass around a joint and her retarded grandson brandishes a pistol at them seems perfectly appropriate for that environment.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

I enjoy how Justified isn't afraid to portray white trash in a realistic light. The kindly old matriarch offering cheap booze to the cops while her kids pass around a joint and her retarded grandson brandishes a pistol at them seems perfectly appropriate for that environment.

Plus, the way Raylan handled that.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

Plus, the way Raylan handled that.

Yeah, that's was pretty great.

But the show always does a great job of subtly condemning the shitheels who live in these places. These were a bunch a dirt-poor layabouts who were ready to shoot federal police over the revocation of the social security check they were drawing illegally, and even the grandson was in on it.

The only thing that would have made it better would have been some kind of slur against Obama.

• Options

I love how perfectly he does the badass-who-is-really-tired-and-doesn't-want-to-deal-with-this-shit-anymore schtick

I really enjoy that too. And, like, you can't be sure he'd win. He loses some fights, too. But you can tell that he's both badass enough and tired enough that he doesn't give a fuck.

And yeah, I really like the way this show often defuses a situation without gunfire, as much as we joke about Raylan shooting people.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that guy would beat the goo out of Raylan. He got served in the mouth by Coover in season 2 and Coover was just a side of beef. Raylan didn't look like a badass to me, he looked like a guy that's tired of getting punched in the face by hillbillies. It's draining.

• Options
    Raylan's a shooter, this other guy's a puncher. Raylan's response seemed to line up with "In the way you want this to go you'd probably win, in the way I'd do best at you'd be dead."

He also just wanted to go back upstairs and resume banging this guys wife, he didn't want to go upstairs and have her care for his wounds. And Coover had that retard strength thing going in his advantage, just like Hank Venture.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Finally watched both episodes so far.

Really great way to start, get you back into Arlen and the Justiverse. Art's speech in his office was a nice Justified summary as well, as told by his character.

Preacher thing could be interesting, kind of hope it isn't a Big Bad and goes back to smaller episodes like the first seasons.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

I really enjoy that too. And, like, you can't be sure he'd win. He loses some fights, too. But you can tell that he's both badass enough and tired enough that he doesn't give a fuck.

As far as action stars go, Raylan Givens is Indiana Jones with a mountain folk drawl and a daddy who thinks Charlemagne is is a skin disease specific to mules.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Just starting this week's episode

I love Art so, so much

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I said it before, episode quality correlates strongly with Art screentime.

EDIT: I love that his primary concern with Raylan shooting somebody is that it will fuck with his ability to get his brisket for lunch.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Wynn Duffy, ladies and gentlemen

• Options
    I'm pretty sure that guy would beat the goo out of Raylan. He got served in the mouth by Coover in season 2 and Coover was just a side of beef. Raylan didn't look like a badass to me, he looked like a guy that's tired of getting punched in the face by hillbillies. It's draining.

well, give Coover his due - he's a big guy, sure, but he's also probably been fighting people his whole life

I do think mr. backyard MMA would probably win in a hand-to-hand fight, though, yeah, which is why they showed us his punching skills

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I said it before, episode quality correlates strongly with Art screentime.

EDIT: I love that his primary concern with Raylan shooting somebody is that it will fuck with his ability to get his brisket for lunch.

Look that would be anyones concern based on Raylan's tendency to screw up an afternoon (It was funny because Art had previously mentioned Tim as the one looking to shoot someone).

And I almost think they are setting up Mr. Backyard brawler to get knocked out by Raylen, a lot like Mr. Icepick from season 3, establish his cred, show him as a threat, and then show Raylan do something intelligent and win the day.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

well, give Coover his due - he's a big guy, sure, but he's also probably been fighting people his whole life

I do think mr. backyard MMA would probably win in a hand-to-hand fight, though, yeah, which is why they showed us his punching skills

Unless Raylan is having a bad day he'd never get a chance to engage in a fight in the first place.

• Options
    Raylan has a lot of bad days, though, let's be honest

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I kind of expect Backyard MMA guy to have killed the There's-No-Tapping-Out guy and hijinks shall ensue. Raylan will have to take him in and...stuff.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I expect BMMA guy to actually end up as a "friendly" bad guy, once the awkwardness withe the bartender gets ironed out.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Yeah I'm under the impression he and the bartender are separated, possibly even divorced and he still calls her his wife because he can't let it go yet. Though there was that vague favor he was working up to get, so we'll have to see what that is.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Honestly, nothing we've seen from BMMA guy would be negative if he wasn't a dick to Raylan. Now that we now the background he kinda gets some "guy allowance" to be a dick to Raylan, just like Raylan was a dick to Gary* and we didn't care.

*Okay, probably not on that level, that was a bit extreme towards the end.

• Options
    Raylan being a dick to Gary was totally ahem justified, the guy put Winona and by extension Raylan in danger several times and kept doing it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yea, later on it was definitely an exceptional level of justified dickery. Previous to Gary being a giant idiot Raylan was still a bit of a dick to him.

• Options
    Well that was just ex husband to current husband dickery. Not the nicest thing to do I'll admit. Especially his first meeting with Gary where he broke into their house and was waiting down stairs.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yea, and I was saying BMMC guy is just doing (ex-)husband to boyfriend dickery albeit from a slightly lower social class's playbook.

It just occurred to me last night while rewatching it that BMMC is only being sized up for a black hat because we didn't know his relationship with Lyndsy. His actions really aren't out of line with what we'd be cheering Raylan on with.

• Options
    I don't think he's neccessarily a bad guy, I position him more a limehouse at this point. We'll have to see how he plays out to figure where they are taking him.

But yeah compared to what Raylan did to Gary he's being understated.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.