Options

WTF is this bug?

projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
This thing was flying around a light much like a moth would, bumping into it all willy-nilly. I'm not much for entomology, so basically I just need to know

-what is this bug?
-should i leave it alone or should i kill it with fire?

wtfbug.jpg

projectmayhem on

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It looks like some kind of grasshopper or cricket.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Possibly a Western Conifer Seed Bug.

I don't know how it was "flying around a light" seeing as it doesn't appear to have wings, but does have jumping legs in the back like a cricket.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    it was most definitely flying. that what weirds me out about it. It's on the ceiling in that photo.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Can you tell us where you saw this (like what country/state/city?) and about how big it is?

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ah yes. I am in Austin, TX. It was probably between 1 and 2 inches long. It was on the ceiling and we have a very high ceiling so i'm not 100% on the size.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's a blurry photo and all, but it looks like a wasp to me.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MichaelLC on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh holy crap! You may as well move now. There'll probably be millions of them hiding in your house by the time you get home from work today. Don't let them touch you, they carry a deadly flesh-eating acid instead of regular venom. They like to hide during the day, but at night they'll come out of the walls and feast on your flesh while you sleep. The only thing you can do to protect yourself is cover your entire body with a 50/50 mix of peanut butter and 10w-30 motor oil.

It does have the profile of a wasp-type insect. The color doesn't look like any I've seen though.

My philosophy is nothing crawly belongs in my house, therefore crawly things get smooshed. If you start to see more of them, I'd call pest control.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    it was most definitely flying. that what weirds me out about it. It's on the ceiling in that photo.

It can fly because many bugs have wings under their back shields, It's not weird at all and pretty common. I would suggest that you do the old jar n paper trick and just release it out of your house.

Movitz on
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Calm down, Beltaine. Most insects are harmless, even wasps, who really won't go out of their way to sting you. Unless these things have completely taken over, an exterminator shouldn't be necessary. Large and strange bugs sometimes find their way into a house, and it's normal.

BugBoy on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's a death bug. Three days from now, there will be a knock on your door. Outside will be a seven-year old girl-child of African persuasion. She will not look at you, she will not speak, but five minutes later, there will be a .357 sized hole in your shirt.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    DrFrylock wrote: »
    Possibly a Western Conifer Seed Bug.

I don't know how it was "flying around a light" seeing as it doesn't appear to have wings, but does have jumping legs in the back like a cricket.

yeah. after looking around a bit more, its definitly some kind of Coreidae (leaf footed bug) but it might not be a western conifer.

here's what a Coreidae can look like:
    276982684_657a8eb6b3.jpg

tips: don't squish it. it emits a distinct odor. be careful when removing it.

If you want to get more specific, its one of these: http://www.austinbug.com/coreidae.html

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    personally, I'm going with Acanthocephala declivis

Dunadan019 on