As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hiccups?

headn00bheadn00b Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, this is really quite peculiar...

I seem to get the hiccups at the same time.

For instance. Every evening when I get off the train and walk through the station towards the exit (with the intension of walking home) I get the hiccups. They're mild and don't last longer than the time it takes to leave the train station, but I am not exagerating when I say this happens every day.

Also, whenever I park the car in a shopping centre and walk through the car park I get mild hiccups which, again, will be gone by the time I get inside the shops.

I'm in no way nervous during these situations, and I don't think my breathing pattern changes particularly. What's going on? :?

Your sig was too tall.

-Thinatos
headn00b on

• Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It could be just a weird head case deal.

Try this, but don't read the spoiler until after you have done it.

The next time you get hiccups, slowly roll your left sleeve up, and they should go away.

[spoiler:831bfd63d1] This is just a mindgame, but it worked for me, of course, it only works once.[/spoiler:831bfd63d1]

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    lunarwulflunarwulf Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Your diaphragm might be spasming from the change in your sitting position and or/movement from the train or your car after you get out.

How long has this been happening? Have you noticed anything unusual or linked events when this starts happening?

lunarwulf on
    It's been made abundantly clear that Ten O'Clock is time for Rainbow Six. It is not time for other games! You might think that it is, but it isn't. Don't show up at 10:05! That's not when it is. It is earlier.
  • Options
    ffordefforde Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Interestingly, no one really knows the medical reason why people get the hiccups. Kind of an unexplained phenomenon. I would suspect it is more quincidence than anything that you always get the hiccups at the same place though. I hear drinkign a glass of water from the far side of the cup cures the hiccups though...

fforde on
  • Options
    HiredGunHiredGun Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    fforde wrote:
    I hear drinkign a glass of water from the far side of the cup cures the hiccups though...

:roll:

HiredGun on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I only hiccup once, and then they go away. Why? Because I unconsciously do something now, since I did it consciously so many times: concentrate really hard on the hiccups.

I'm serious, it works. After a while you don't even have to concentrate; you'll hiccup once and then they'll stop. My cousin thinks it's because you're bringing an unconscious action into your consciousness, and the you're not able to do it, but I don't know if I buy that. All that matters is that it works.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Exhale all the way out, and swallow 5 times. Works for me.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    HiredGun wrote:
    fforde wrote:
    I hear drinkign a glass of water from the far side of the cup cures the hiccups though...

Seriously guys, developing a drinking problem is bad advice.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    ffordefforde Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    HiredGun wrote:
    fforde wrote:

Har, har, I am so funny.

Just a joke. *sigh*

fforde on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    fforde wrote:
    HiredGun wrote:
    fforde wrote:

Har, har, I am so funny.

Just a joke. *sigh*
    I was also just joking. I love those movies forever.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Half A DogHalf A Dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    fforde wrote:
    HiredGun wrote:
    fforde wrote:

Har, har, I am so funny.

Just a joke. *sigh*
    I was also just joking. I love those movies forever.

In all seriousness, drinking from the far side of the glass has never failed me.

Half A Dog on
  • Options
    EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sugar and water works for me. I'll usually dump some sugar into my glass of water, put some sugar on my tongue, then down the whole glass.

I tend to get the hiccups when I'm really drunk. It *sucks*. I've had them last more than an hour at a time. Awful.

Edgie on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah sugar is what works for me. I just eat a spoonfull. I've heard something about it relaxing your throat but im not sure exactly how it works.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Take a really deep breath, through the mouth, and hold it for 10 seconds. Works for me, but not for anyone else I know. Might work for you though.

Duki on
  • Options
    #14#14 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Whenever I get hickups, I try to remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, and then what I had for dinner the night before. It always work. It probably has something to do with concetrating, but it's no fun when you think of it like that.

#14 on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've never had hiccups. :(

Sometimes I hic-, but I never -up.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Draw in a long breath, then hold it for 10 seconds. That's my most successful remedy.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    WylderWylder Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My high school science teacher explained hiccups as a diaphram spasm ussually related to an irritation in the throat, or lumps of food lodged in the oeasophagus.

Solutions such as exhaling deeply, repeated swallowing, drinking water, and holding your breath all have some measure of success because they apply forces to various parts in the affected system, and may dislodge whatever irritant is causing the spasms.

However, hiccups are not always caused purely by a physical irritant. Wiki says that infants can hiccup in the womb, and the theory is that this may be a muscular exercise for the diaphragm of infants as part of the developmental process.

Most likely though, its to do with your eating/digestion habits.

Wylder on
    No sig for you!