As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad Company 2: Boring Title

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd rather not see the CG witch hunt go overboard. I thought that the original idea was to warn people on a map by map basis who were using the CG as main consistently to cut it out. If they did not at that point, then they would be kicked. And even then only if people were complaining

Demonizing people based on overall stats with the CG probably isn't the way to go.

In all honesty, the CG is just annoying, not really super overpowered. It's more just poor form for someone to run around with nothing but Carl like it's Quake all over again.

Ideally I'd like to see it slowed slightly and have the RPG and Carl G switch roles (RPG for AP, Carl G for AT). The RPG's obscenely-long reload time and slow, arcing shot would make it more balanced for anti-infantry duty, while a Carl G with an AOE similar to the AT4 (ie kill only for direct hits) would almost eliminate CG abuse.
    Carl Gustav is tearing us apart :(

DAMN YOU, CARL GUSTAV!!!
    DCA751A2F3952D7C329A262D34CB8.jpg

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lt. Fragg wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    I think the CG and the 40mm grenade should be changed towards more of a "support" damage weapon. What I mean is the following:

Make it so that a CG rocket and a 40mm grenade only instantly kill you if they directly hit your body OR if they blow up the wall you are behind (wall exploding does extra damage to people behind them anyway).
    If you hit them in any other situation, they will only lose health but not instantly die.

This way they become a support weapon that can heavily damage a group of enemies who can then be finished of by your teammates with bullets/whatever.

Sure,you can have two people side by side one using a CG to damage the other shooting another one or a 40mm grenade to take them out. But that requires teamwork and that's what the game is about. And it would at least tune down the instant death shit by a good margin.

Also,I don't get the M60 love. It's good but I love the M36 WAY more. Build in "Red Dot", amazing accuracy and kills fast enough. Love it.

Please god no :x

The way I see it, the CG shouldn't be used in CQC. That's it, that's all. Everything else is fine (since they're already looking at nerfing the m60 a bit)

I like Klyka's idea myself. More effective against entrenched positions, less effective for bullshit running around one-shotting people. I'm all for fixes which don't allow for instant deaths short of direct hits or vehicle-mounted weaponry or mortar strikes.

And you already can't use the CG much for close combat. It'll hurt the shooter pretty bad at close range, unlike the 40mm which will one-hit kill a target with zero liability for the shooter.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    And using an RPG as an anti personnel weapon is like using a shotgun as a form of roach control. Yeah it will kill a dude, but that is not it's intended target.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    In close range the 40MM has to actually hit the person though. I'm fairly certain they have an arming distance now, even if it is a short one.

Also, 30 seconds to get another 40mm grenade is a bit harsh. The average lifespan of an assault that is actually assaulting is probably 60 seconds.

10-15 seconds to get a 40mm grenade seems like a much more reasonable time span.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, the 40mm has an arming range. The actual shell will kill a person if you hit them with it point blank, but there won't be an explosion to kill the shooter.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Masume wrote: »
    Sladvan wrote: »
    I love it when Goombie threatens to kick me because he ate my CG. Yes, real mature.

I dunno, according to the stats o matic site, (which is a day old mind you), you have 45 kills with the CG, 8 with the RPG, and 5 with the AT4. You've basically double the kills with the CG than you do any other SMG. Sounds like you main it to me. I will look again when the stats update. Maybe you've adjusted your playstyle?

...Pardon my french, but when the fuck did it become a house rule that you can't use the CG to freaking kill people as a main choice? What the hell is the difference compared to oh, grenade spamming (Which was what we were fighting against, nice way to pad the scores there) or using an M60 in general? the CG is an anti INFANTRY rocket, it's what it's supposed to do. Considering I use the damn thing to snipe folks that the SMG's can't hit, I damn well will use that compared to pecking at that from range. I'll even use it to hit someone in the face from ten yards off.

I got it, stop maining those tanks too! I mean, those shells are totally unfair. But hey, the M60's are fine.

IRL, it's not an anti-infantry weapon.

If you're talking about in-game, there are already anti-infantry explosives called hand grenades and 40mm, both of which are less OP and take more skill to use (these are relative judgments here). OR hell, the RPG, which is still annoying at times, but is again less OP and more skillful against infantry.

The CG is stupid bullshit, and that's why people hate it when you main it. I'm normally the first to call Goomba a silly goose, but I don't have a problem with it at all in this case. Stop spamming any / all explosives, and don't use the M60 if you already have a bronze star with it. Problem solved.

I personally am tired of being killed almost exclusively by explosives while on foot in a game ostensibly about mixed arms combat with a focus on firearms. Every once in a while adds to the experience, but going five to six deaths in a row without a bullet being fired is terrible.

It's not any less 'bullshit' than being grenade spammed on the hill in Port Valdez, which is what Goomba and the rest of his team were doing, while the rest of the team ran up like lemmings. I decided to go around and after I killed 4-5 guys in the face who were doing it, that's when the bitching commenced. Excuse my lack of respect, but it's not deserved in the first place. Mind you, these were the same guys who were spawn camping us on that stupid Island Rush map, knifing people as they spawned and hiding behind fences. Yes, talk about a fair attitude.

The CG isn't any more OP than the M60 by a long shot, it's one shot and has a reload, as well as a firing arc to get used to. Oh, and in close quarters, in kills you. Also, the damn description of the CG even claims it is used in anti INFANTRY roles rather than anti armor, hence why it does less damage to armor, offsetting it.

Mind you, this has only been my build of late, but it's still bullshit for people to whine about it.

If your playstyle makes the game unfun enough that not just Goomba is complaining, knock it the fuck off.

This is a PA server. We're supposed to be having fun games together. So keep it fun and stop bitching.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So basically you want BFBC1 again.

You couldn't kill a fern with a 40mm in that game.

Lt. Fragg on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh deary me... I have been out of the FPS loop but I did use to enjoy playing Battlefield, particularily Desert Combat. I have had a lot of fun playing Modern Warfare with my buddies on internet cafes but somehow I don't feel as if that is quite the game for me.

Should... should I buy Bad Company 2? Are helicopters fun and useful, and will I be able to drive over people with a jeep?

Vic on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Vic wrote: »
    Oh deary me... I have been out of the FPS loop but I did use to enjoy playing Battlefield, particularily Desert Combat. I have had a lot of fun playing Modern Warfare with my buddies on internet cafes but somehow I don't feel as if that is quite the game for me.

Should... should I buy Bad Company 2? Are helicopters fun and useful, and will I be able to drive over people with a jeep?

Well, you better get it soon before people start arguing about the lethality of the jeep bumpers and get that changed too.

Edit- This game is incredible fun, especially with friends. Basically it's you starring in a kickass war movie.

Lt. Fragg on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Take out instant kill explosions from 40mm grenades. That's all. Have them do 99% damage for all I cre just not instantly kill.

If that is seriously so bad for you, I'll just assume your playstyle is "lol I am bad I need 40mm"

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You're all terrible people and have terrible ideas to fix what you do to each other. The 40mm already has a long reload, only has 2 grenades and 4 with the grenade perk, ammo boxes resupply them slowly and have a limited amount and it has a pitiful explosive radius. I'm actually glad I'm on xbox live for this

this is directed mostly at the CG witchhunt and the 40mm 'fix'. Why not just replace the grenade launcher and have assaults get into slap fights

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I've been dicking around in this game playing Recon, not a crappy useless one, but one of those people who use their "spot" button. I'm still discovering all the little hidey holes. Question mind, can you snipe a pilot out of a helicopter, I managed to snipe someone out of a jeep...

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Confessions of a Carl Gustav Lover:

I love my CG. There, I said it. And yes, I've been using it rather frequently. I don't try to use it as a close range weapon; usually I like to stay behind the assaults and medics and lob my missiles at whatever building the MCON is, or wall which someone is hiding behind. And the CG, as it is implemented, is an anti-personnel weapon, so it is most handy against...personnel. Yes, I regularly have it equipped, because my regular shooter stinks, and I like to be able to whip out shots of opportunity quickly. And if you surprise me, I'll shoot ya with it. Because its faster and more accurate than switching to my useless silencer weapon.

A lot of people remark how the CG spoils the realism of Battlefield. Well, in an actual battle situation, with two equally well-armed parties, gun fire is the least of your worries. You better believe there are mortars and rockets flying around. Especially in a house-to-house fighting situation, rockets and grenades are your friends. If you know an enemy is a house (and there are no bystanders inside), you better believe I'm blowing the crap out of it before sending my men in there to root them out using conventional firearms.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You're all terrible people and have terrible ideas to fix what you do to each other. The 40mm already has a long reload, only has 2 grenades and 4 with the grenade perk, ammo boxes resupply them slowly and have a limited amount and it has a pitiful explosive radius. I'm actually glad I'm on xbox live for this

Well you are right you have a very reasonable approa-

YOUR NAME IS LookFreeGrenade!!!!!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, if I want to play a great game of BC2, play competitively and not care whether I win or lose, I need to play with PA folks on the 360.

If I want to play a horribly miserable game filled with gibbering retards on my team and blonde Aryan ubermenschen on the other, I need to do Quick Match. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground here. Like, at all. Yesterday, I Quick Matched onto a team that wasn't using squads. At all.

/sob

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Why is everyone so mean to us Ubermenschen :(

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    My game just updated and pings are working now!

HOLY MOLY
    Lies. I still have to run Steam as an administrator to get pings after the update.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    A lot of people remark how the CG spoils the realism of Battlefield. Well, in an actual battle situation, with two equally well-armed parties, gun fire is the least of your worries. You better believe there are mortars and rockets flying around. Especially in a house-to-house fighting situation, rockets and grenades are your friends. If you know an enemy is a house (and there are no bystanders inside), you better believe I'm blowing the crap out of it before sending my men in there to root them out using conventional firearms.

We're insanely lucky that we don't have mortars. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory mortar spawn camping was the most aggravating thing ever.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Jephery wrote: »

We're insanely lucky that we don't have mortars. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory mortar spawn camping was the most aggravating thing ever.

Uh... uh... I have bad news.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    We should play squad deathmatch, it's a lot of fun.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Pancake wrote: »

Uh... uh... I have bad news.

Oh, the mortar strikes are fine. Because you can't spam them forever. Constantly.

But actual man handled mortars that you can spam forever? And firing fast enough to land every 2 seconds right on the spawn point.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    But actual man handled mortars that you can spam forever?

Two Assault guys behind cover with a pile of ammo crates lobbing 40mm grenades at the objective.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't get people who say the Engineer's SMGs/Carbines are terrible. I just checked my kills per hour equipped and I have more kills per hour with the AKS74U than I do with the XM8P and AN94, both of which are vastly superior to the AKS74U.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, if I want to play a great game of BC2, play competitively and not care whether I win or lose, I need to play with PA folks on the 360.

If I want to play a horribly miserable game filled with gibbering retards on my team and blonde Aryan ubermenschen on the other, I need to do Quick Match. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground here. Like, at all. Yesterday, I Quick Matched onto a team that wasn't using squads. At all.

/sob

I hear ya. Basically if I am online and no friends are on, I spend time leveling up my recon kit.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Vic wrote: »

Well, you better get it soon before people start arguing about the lethality of the jeep bumpers and get that changed too.

Edit- This game is incredible fun, especially with friends. Basically it's you starring in a kickass war movie.

Oh shit I just impulse bought it.

I will blame you if I don't like it, but of course this also means that if I do like it I owe you your greatest desire.

Vic on
  • Options
    IsidoreIsidore Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like how people are calling the outcry against the CG a "witchhunt".

If the witches burnt at the stake were even half as deadly as Senor Carl Gustav, middle-age Europe would have bigger problems on it's hands than famine.

Isidore on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I use my shotgun over any of the engineer's silencer weapons.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »

Two Assault guys behind cover with a pile of ammo crates lobbing 40mm grenades at the objective.

Thats close, but not as bad. Dieing every 15 seconds because a mortar landed on your feet the moment you left the door made it so satisfying to sneak past the enemy team as a Covert OPs and backstab those bastards.

Jephery on
    }
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just want to say everyone is dumb and wrong and getting rid of killcam would literally be the best thing

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't get people who say the Engineer's SMGs/Carbines are terrible. I just checked my kills per hour equipped and I have more kills per hour with the AKS74U than I do with the XM8P and AN94, both of which are vastly superior to the AKS74U.

The Engineer SMGs are really good. The SCAR-L or UMP with 4x are almost exactly like a VSS, with about the same accuracy and damage, for example. I love my UMP.

Jephery on
    }
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    I just want to say everyone is dumb and wrong and getting rid of killcam would literally be the best thing
    Blind spawning into a world of pain is not the best thing.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    NAY to killcam removal.

I too am one of the SMG supporters, specially the SCAR, AK and the UMP. I don't see why the hate for the UMP, I find it really good.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If I don't like the 'feel' of the medic's machine guns at the beginning, am I going to like any gun the medic gets?

Another no for getting rid of kill cam.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    In fact it's almost as bad as getting mowed down by a squad of medics and then having some dumbass revive you over and over again without thinking of killing the guys that killed you first.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Klyka wrote: »

Take out instant kill explosions from 40mm grenades. That's all. Have them do 99% damage for all I cre just not instantly kill.

If that is seriously so bad for you, I'll just assume your playstyle is "lol I am bad I need 40mm"

You can make whatever assumptions you want about my play-style, hell even look me up I play a pretty good variety of weapons and classes alike.

I just think that this game, with the exception of a few minor tweaks is fantastic, and am baffled when a vocal group gets up in arms wanting the nerf bat on everything.

I don't find it that bad, and I get hit by 40mm just as much as anyone else.

Or maybe I don't, as I'm on 360 where it seems for once the community hasn't abused certain aspects of the game so far.

Lt. Fragg on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »

Not that there are any PA people who do that.

Honestly, the amount of drama/guilt/bullshit involved with weapon choices is why I don't play on The Angry Dome anymore. The people that bitch the loudest about the M60 are the same people who will spawn camp with the 40mm, or main the CG the entire game. They are the same people that want others kicked for using "cheesey" tactics, but will write two page manifestos about why the particular brand of cheese they employ is not nearly as bad.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Getting rid of the kill cam is a great idea.

The best idea.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    If your teammates are stupid, then it's not unfair. You said it yourself, you managed to go around by yourself and kill 4-5 of the "abusers". And camping on Isla Inocentes isn't easy at all, that map is a bitch to attack, I find hard to believe your team managed to get spawn camped.

CG in the other hand has an incredible range, it's a really fast rocket and many offenders that are regulars on the Angry Dome run around with it prepped constantly, because it's their main weapon, and some awesome people use it in CQC as well, even JUMPING WHILE SHOOTING IT AT YOUR FEET.

Grenade spamming isn't so much 'unfair' as it's in bad taste, far more than CGing people in the face. Then to have someone bitch about it is really hypocritical.

As for the Isla thing, I completely agree it's a bitch for attackers, it's why I dislike the map, however it's what was happening. Two snipers kept hiding on the back of the island, and everytime I spawned I would get a shiv in the back. Not sure what the rest of the team were doing, but I saw a few 'known' names come up along with that shiv. So hey, they can eat my CG until the cows come home.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    here's the 40mm fix:

no underslung grenade launchers, if you want a nade launcher you get a milkor MGL with 12 rounds, but it takes your primary slot and both of your perk slots.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pancake wrote: »
    Getting rid of the kill cam is a great idea.

The best idea.

YES this. As much THIS as you have please!

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."