As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Upgrading a Dell C521

Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
My 360 died and I'm not going to bother buying yet another one only to have it die on me again. PS3's are too expensive and the Wii is just not my thing. So PC it is then!

Trouble is I have a Dell C521. It's this thing here
Dell_C521.gif

It's a pretty small computer and given that it's Dell, I can't simply take out the innards and put them in a regular size case. So I gotta make do with this. Upgrading is the only option I have.

My specs are;
Socket AM2 (940) I think that's the motherboard right?
AMD Athlon X64 4200+ 2.2 GHz
3GB RAM DDR2
Radeon X1300PRO 256mb Low profile
280W PSU
150gb hdd
Windows 7

Not sure if that's all the info needed but whatever. You can probably tell I'm new to this. Figured GPU needs going. Someone suggested a 9600gt and the internet suggests that it will run on a 280w stock dell PSU. Ultimately I want to spend under £150 which isn't alot in terms of PC gaming. £200 would be stretching it but I'd be willing to sell of a few more things to get there. Any help would be appreciated guys.

Big Classy on

• Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    With the limited power supply, you'd probably do much better looking at one of the new ati, I think the 5730 might be about what you're looking for, but one thing you'll definitely need to consider is card width in a case that narrow. make sure you do the math on that one.

edit: it looks like the 5730 is actually a mobile graphics card? ignore me.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, your two main problems are the oldish AM2 socket and needing a low profile video card.

Can you tell us what's the resolution of your monitor. That will help knowing exactly how much GPU power you're going to need.

[edit] It seems that your options are the 9600 GT or an ATI 5570. The 9600GT is a pretty old card but is actually a bit more powerful than the ATI. The ATI uses less power and can do DX11 but I somehow doubt that it has the horsepower to do it properly.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    1280x1024 is what I'm using. I can run STALKER on this at that res with settings low-med. I really want to be able to run it at high, but I'm thinking that might be wishful thinking. :(

Ultimately, it needs to be DX10 compatible for the new Just Cause 2 game.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Just to be sure, you have an AM2 motherboard not a 940 one, right?

[edit]

I guess 940 is a server socket so I'm just being dumb. It seems that in theory a large number of modern CPUs could work but it depends on Dell providing a bios update for your motherboard. Seems like trouble.

You can try to find out the details but a new video card should give that computer quite a boost so maybe just do that and see if you can get by without a new CPU.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    awesome. I was concerned with the cpu that it might throttle the 9600gt

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    awesome. I was concerned with the cpu that it might throttle the 9600gt

Most games rely on the GPU more than the CPU and if the CPU is the limiting factor then your framerate shouldn't be terrible. There are game that would have problems with your CPU; Dragon Age, the GTA IV port and some others that I'm forgetting but I'm hoping most games should be fine.

Hmmm, just a bit of googling seems to imply that you have an Athlon 64 X2 which is a dual core CPU. I think that most games should do fine.

You might want to check out this review of the ATI 5570. It seems that it can run L4D2 at 1680x1050 with Max settings. You'll probably be surprised what even a not very powerful card can do at your resolution. Games like Crysis will be a different story obviously.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    See, that's just the thing. The max res I want to run is 1280x1024. And from what I can tell, the 5570 is less powerful than the 9600gt? Then there's the 9800gt as well.... damn.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    www.tomshardware.com

check the graph sections.
    The 5770 is decidely more powerful than the 9600gt.
    plus, if you ever want to pick up another monitor, eyefinity. lawl.

edit: OH 5570. not 5770. please, I am just in full retard mode today. disregard me.

edit edit: the 5570 is low power low profile like you need, where as the 9600gt is a full sized beasty, your tiny case and overworked cpu will thank you for the heat reduction, assuming performance is similair.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Would it run DX10 alright?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Would it run DX10 alright?

Considering it's a DX11 piece, it damn well ought to.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    bloody cheap too! I might be able to get a new cpu as well!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    well shit. Dell won't let me download their latest BIOS update. I can download the deownload manager thingy but all that tells me is there's no drivers available. WTF?
    I was going to download the driver from this place but it doesn't look.... 'healthy'. I'm not sure if I want to risk something like this.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Alright, googling resulted in me finding lots of C521 users who have had issues with the BIOS updating stuff. So basically, I'm fucked?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Alright, googling resulted in me finding lots of C521 users who have had issues with the BIOS updating stuff. So basically, I'm fucked?

Well that's just to upgrade your processor. AFAIK, a new video card should work just fine. I'd just go with that.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    God, I completely forgot I'd created this thread. So I decided on a 4650 but then the place I'd ordered from decided that no, they didn't want my money and wouldn't sell me a card. Some sort of checkout glitch. Lucky it happened because I came across this! A Sapphire 5570 1gb ddr3. Finally! I thought they weren't available in the U.K or something. Of all the goosin' places to have the card, trust it to be Amazon!

Bonus as it not only uses less power than the X1300pro already in here, it also generates less heat. Swish!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Bonus as it not only uses less power than the X1300pro already in here, it also generates less heat. Swish!

Heh, well this is pretty obvious unless your video card is going to break a few fundamental laws of physics.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png