As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neverwinter Nights 2 - Worth a purchase?

DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdooryou're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
edited March 2010 in Games and Technology
This is somewhat a specific question, but I looked around for a bit and couldn't find a thread for this in the first several pages of G+T.

One of my friends from work has Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum pack, and he hasn't played it in ages, and we got to talking about NWN the other day and he offered me his platinum pack for $50. Is NWN2 favourably compared to NWN1, or is it not really worth $50?

Basically what I'm asking is...for someone who enjoyed NWN1 is it worth buying NWN2 or is it one of those sequels better left alone like Deus Ex Invisible War?

Dhalphir on

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    This is somewhat a specific question, but I looked around for a bit and couldn't find a thread for this in the first several pages of G+T.

One of my friends from work has Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum pack, and he hasn't played it in ages, and we got to talking about NWN the other day and he offered me his platinum pack for $50. Is NWN2 favourably compared to NWN1, or is it not really worth $50?

Basically what I'm asking is...for someone who enjoyed NWN1 is it worth buying NWN2 or is it one of those sequels better left alone like Deus Ex Invisible War?

Well, if you enjoyed the relatively smooth multiplayer of NWN 1, you'll probably love the clunky, poorly designed multiplayer of 2. And by that, I mean hate.

If you love the deep, engrossing story of NWN 1, you'll probably like the equally enthralling and original story of NWN 2. Well, actually, on a serious note, NWN 2's single player campaign is better than 1's. But that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Also, the controls, camera, and UI redefine clunky.

Basically, what I'm saying is play Dragon Age, the game NWN 2 was trying to be. Or replay it.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    No, it's a terrible terrible game. One of the worst purchases I ever made. Don't make the same mistake I did.

The camera sucks. Worst third person camera ever devised. It's jerky and awkward all the time.
    The graphics look bad. Characters have terrible appearances, really awful hair. Terrain also looks poor.
    The performance is shit. For a game that looks that bad, it's a huge resource hog. Very unoptimized.
    There's a ton of loot lag. You'll see a bag on the ground but it'll take about 4 or 5 seconds sometimes to get the option to loot it.
    The weapons are mostly boring stuff like "longsword +1" or "bow +2."

Obsidian failed its saving throws* with this effort. Don't get it.

*saving throws are things you do in Dungeons and Dragons. Get it? It's kinda like... talking about a thing, but kinda talking about another thing? Hehe... yea.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I was going to say something about the camera not being the worst, but then I couldn't think of a game with a worse one offhand, so I didn't. :rotate:

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's not a terrible game, its just, well, average. And with games like Dragon Age out (and the expansion being released today) there is no reason for you to settle on an average game. Go out and buy DA (or the expansion if you already have DA) instead.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I would go with Dragon Age instead, or just delve into the custom modules for NWN1.

I wanted to love NWN2, I was looking for a D&D fix and coming off a WoW addiction, but it's as clunky, badly optimised and painfull to play as has already been hinted at.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I never played NWN multiplayer, so it would purely be a story experience.

Perhaps I'll ask him if I can borrow it to give it a go then make a decision.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Just as a note, it is, under no circumstances, worth $50.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I enjoyed NWN 2, but I wouldn't pay $50 for it right now. The Mask of the Betrayer is a real experience to play though. The other xpacs, not so much.

The main campaign is interesting, if long, some people really hate some NPC's. It's standard fantasy fare mostly.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Man, you couldn't pay me 50 bucks to play that game again. Just dealing with that camera alone... UGHH.

See, this is why I'm kinda down on Obsidian. Back in the day, I was alright with KOTOR2. I mean, the story didn't really make a whole lot of sense, cause lots of stuff got cut out, but the gameplay was still fun, and the characters were interesting. So KOTOR2 was generally good. But this game... what a joke this game was.

This is also when I finally lost faith in game reviews. Cause you look at the reviews for this game, it got decently high scores:

IGN: 85
    Gamespot: 86
    PC Gamer: 84

What were these guys smoking?

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    See, this is why I'm kinda down on Obsidian. Back in the day, I was alright with KOTOR2. I mean, the story didn't really make a whole lot of sense, cause lots of stuff got cut out, but the gameplay was still fun, and the characters were interesting. So KOTOR2 was generally good. But this game... what a joke this game was.

This game is entirely why I'm down on Obsidian. You couldn't make a more generic fantasy game and wrap it in a more clunky package. As is, I don't think its ever been done before and will ever be done again.

Is it the worst game ever? Nope, not even close. Does it have any reason for existing? Not really.....nor is there really any reason to play it. It is just that uninspired.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    NWN 2 vanilla is terrible

NWN 2: Mask of the betrayer is actually pretty good and worth a look.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    He's willing to lend me the game for a week to try it, on the understanding that if I do enjoy it, I'll give him the cash.

Seems worth a week of free play at the very least.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Also, its the Platinum pack which apparently includes both expansions so I guess that will tip the scales a little.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The two expansions, Mask of the Betrayer, and Storms of Zehir (Or whatever it's called.) are really good.

The base game blows, though. There wasn't, and still isn't much functionality to the editor, and the story is generic fantasy fare.

Mask of the Betrayer gets some crap for the seeming artificial timer the game has (It's easy to get past, actually.). But has a pretty entertaining story.

Storms of Zehir is pretty much what would happen if you mixed Oblivion's open-endedness with Neverwinter Nights. After a brief intro after you make your party, and you're set down in a town. Nothing big, right? Well, when you leave that town, instead of going to the field, you're put on an interactable overworld map. And provided you don't cheat and give yourself a max level party at character creation, the world is big, and incredibly dangerous.

From there you can go hunting for monsters in the jungle, look for quests (And there's alot. The game definitely replicates that "PnP session" feel in that regard.) in the murky depths of the jungle, look for resources to sell, and generally just dick around if you don't feel like following the main storyline.

There's also a fair amount of NPC interaction on the map, too. Guards will depart the towns, and hunt down monsters, and I think you can find other NPC adventurers doing their own thing. Monsters will attack caravans and any other friendly NPC's, and you can get your own trade company started up as well. If anyone bothered to mod the SoZ campaign I imagine that someone would have added a crap-ton more stuff to do as well.

One big thing to note is that, if in the future, you decide to play MP, you'll need all the expansion packs, as most servers updated themselves to be compatible with them. MoTB added much more functionality to map creation, and Storms of Zehir added in the overworld and some more minor functionality.

Overall, i'd say if you're going to get it, skip the base game, and just use that to install SoZ or MoTB. But don't pay full price for them. They're not exactly worth that much these days.

Archonex on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I keep hearing that, and I tried to play MotB a while ago, but the gameplay is still completely terrible. I got to the first town, quit for the night, and never again felt any desire to play. A waste of money.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

If you are just in it for the story, you can get NWN2 and Mask of the Betrayer for about $10 each. NWN2's story is average. MotB is good. Storm of Zehir, the second expansion, does not have much of a story or characters because it is party-based, kind of a throwback to the old Gold Box games.

Borrow NWN2, patch it fully, then decide. A lot of people's complaints have been fixed, or at least made less annoying, by the patches and expansions. SoZ added a new camera mode that has been patched into the original. The AI and performance is also vastly better than when the game first came out.

grrarg on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mask of the Betrayer gets some crap for the seeming artificial timer the game has (It's easy to get past, actually.). But has a pretty entertaining story.

You can turn off the timer with a quick bit of script manipulation too, it's a mere google away.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

This is truth. Mask of the Betrayer is actually pretty good as far as story goes. Biggest problem is that it is a continuation of NVN2 original campaign, so there are a few back story elements you will miss out on (some related to the main plot). Not that the OC was terribad, I would personally call it average. But the camera is truly a horrible thing to behold, especially since NVN2 came out after kotor2.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I enjoyed NWN2 quite a lot, though I seem to be in a small minority. The technical issues didn't bother me that much (I had a great computer even back then, and by now they're largely patched up anyway), the story was servicable if not overly imaginative, I liked a couple of the characters, and the fort mechanic was really fun. The game had a litany of flaws and mistakes, but I felt the good outweighed the bad. Mask of the Betrayer was a fun expansion, though the second expansion never really clicked for me.

That said, Dragon Age is better in every single way other than lack of multiplayer. EDIT: And loot. Fuck DA's dumb loot system and crappy medium and light armours.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

This is truth. Mask of the Betrayer is actually pretty good as far as story goes. Biggest problem is that it is a continuation of NVN2 original campaign, so there are a few back story elements you will miss out on (some related to the main plot). Not that the OC was terribad, I would personally call it average. But the camera is truly a horrible thing to behold, especially since NVN2 came out after kotor2.

Blaming things on the camera is unfair, you are letting the UI off the hook.

You know how smooth it is to switch characters in Dragon Age? To set them to do tasks, then micromanage your party? And how fun that is. NWN 2 is pretty much nothing like that. Controlling the party is a nightmare. Either you micromanage the whole thing, which isn't fun because its not user friendly. Or your party runs in circles provoking attacks of opportunity until they die. No middle ground.

And Mask of the Betrayer is the same engine as NWN 2, so, well, you have to be able to stomach it in order to get any sort of positive experience. I wasn't.

And I'm not someone who cares about little things, I can play Bloodlines unpatched and have no issues. Same with Fallout 2. I don't care about little bugs. But when the entire presentation of the game is such a mess, it really doesn't seem worth the effort.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You know how smooth it is to switch characters in Dragon Age? To set them to do tasks, then micromanage your party? And how fun that is. NWN 2 is pretty much nothing like that. Controlling the party is a nightmare. Either you micromanage the whole thing, which isn't fun because its not user friendly. Or your party runs in circles provoking attacks of opportunity until they die. No middle ground.

That's why I just powergame the crap out of it and only use one character. Easy.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Really, you should get NWN2 for the MP. There were some kickass ideas going around when I quit. Alot of them you just can't do justice too in NWN1, too.

I know at least one guy was working on an "infernal planes" server, with SoZ's overworld implemented. It was going to have the characters taking on the roles of demonic entities, and would have a fully featured Hell that they could traverse to war and RP in. It actually sounded kind of badass.

Last I heard, about a year ago, another guy was working on a "Planescape" server too. Complete with multiple planes with explorable overworlds. The SoZ expansion really opened the game up to some interesting ideas developer-wise. It's just a shame alot of the players who are into that stuff didn't pay attention to the game after SoZ came out.

Archonex on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    @Disruptor

I don't compare NWN to DA, too much of a time gap for it to be fair IMO, like saying Mario Bros 1 sucked compared to Sonic 3 to me. When I compare NVN2 camera, I was so used to WoW's camera system, that everytime I had to slooooowly mouse turn or scroll the camera around, I wanted to punch a kitten.

While the AI's can be tarded, that really wasn't something that bothered me too much, I was able to overlook it.

Now, the walking and standing animations however.... Ewwww, they look like cavemen with downs. But that was just looks, I can ignore stupid shit as long as the story is entertaining.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't compare NWN to DA, too much of a time gap for it to be fair IMO, like saying Mario Bros 1 sucked compared to Sonic 3 to me. When I compare NVN2 camera, I was so used to WoW's camera system, that everytime I had to slooooowly mouse turn or scroll the camera around, I wanted to punch a kitten.

NWN 2 is 3 years older than DA. That's not really a long time. Especially given that none of my complaints have anything to do with graphics.

I mean, if you compare how clunky it is to an older 2d game (the time difference between BG 2 and NWN 2 is twice that of DA and NWN 2), its even more damning.

But whatever, OP's playing it for free. Can't really complain about a free demo.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, you couldn't pay me 50 bucks to play that game again. Just dealing with that camera alone... UGHH.

This is also when I finally lost faith in game reviews. Cause you look at the reviews for this game, it got decently high scores:

Here is one really negative review... the review was of course banished by the magazine company. It's archived here. (5/10) http://www.penny-arcade.com/docs/nwn2review.html

solsovly on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also, its the Platinum pack which apparently includes both expansions so I guess that will tip the scales a little.

I actually can't find any reference to a NWN2 Platinum edition on google except that lead to illegitimate sites. Was there ever even a Platinum edition released?

In any case, you can get NWN2 Gold (which is the original game + Mask of the Betrayer) for $29.99 new at Amazon, and Storm of Zehir new for $19.99, so you're coming out at $50 for both brand new and sealed from Amazon rather than used, even if it is only slightly used. So no, it's not worth $50 to get it used from your friend.

Actually, upon looking further it's cheaper if you buy each separately. NWN2 - $12.04, MotB - $11.08, SoZ - $19.99. You can of course get even better deals buying it new or used on Amazon marketplace if you want to look around there.

Edit: Just realized you're in Australia, so not sure about new/used game pricing there. If $50 is basically what you'd pay for a new PC game, I'd say it's not really worth it.

Daenris on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    solsovly wrote: »

Here is one really negative review... the review was of course banished by the magazine company. It's archived here. (5/10) http://www.penny-arcade.com/docs/nwn2review.html

Yep, that Matt Peckham fella seems to speak for me. And wow, it didn't even occur to me until reading it, but NWN2 actually did come out after Oblivion.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So NWN 2 must have been the game that the shills working at game review sites were fellating when they panned Dark Messiah, which came out around the same time.

And as for Oblivion. Thinking about NWN 2 makes me realise there were quite a few things about Oblivion that I actually liked.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So NWN 2 must have been the game that the shills working at game review sites were fellating when they panned Dark Messiah, which came out around the same time.

And as for Oblivion. Thinking about NWN 2 makes me realise there were quite a few things about Oblivion that I actually liked.

There are some obvious issues with Oblivion that, looking back in hindsight, you can point to (forgettable main plot, no notable characters, waste of Patrick Stewart, level scaling) but playing through it for the first time, I thought it was a sublime experience.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    AstnsAstns Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The best thing about NWN 2 was the first expansion pack 'Mask of The Betrayer' which was really good.

Other than that it was pretty mediocre.

Astns on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If your only alternative is Dragon Age, go with Neverwinter Nights 2, because fuck Dragon Age.

The NWN2 base campaign and Storm of Zehir are decent, Mask of the Betrayer is amazing.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If your only alternative is Dragon Age, go with Neverwinter Nights 2, because fuck Dragon Age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThczlnIF-MA

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

The NWN2 base campaign and Storm of Zehir are decent, Mask of the Betrayer is amazing.

This post clearly indicates a deep, uncontrollable descent into madness.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

To understand my standpoint, ask yourself, why suffering through a less then medicore 40+ hours "game" when you can simply enjoy all the good parts on Youtube or read the character banter on Dragon Age Wiki?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Do understand my standpoint, ask yourself, why suffering through a less then medicore 40+ hours "game" when you can simply enjoy all the good parts on Youtube or read the character banter on Dragon Age Wiki?

Oh, the madness has nothing to do with not liking Dragon Age. That's a matter of taste. The mind consuming insanity comes from then mentioning NWN 2, which is the same thing, but worse.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I guess I prefere the D&D ruleset to singleplayer MMOs.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There are some obvious issues with Oblivion that, looking back in hindsight, you can point to (forgettable main plot, no notable characters, waste of Patrick Stewart, level scaling) but playing through it for the first time, I thought it was a sublime experience.

sublimely boring

o zing
    I guess I prefere the D&D ruleset to singleplayer MMOs

Dragon age has very screwed mechanics, but D&D is more screwed to the nth degree.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    AD&D is actually a better functioning system, overall. That doesn't help NWN 2 any, though. :lol:

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    AD&D is actually a better functioning system, overall. That doesn't help NWN 2 any, though.

Any system where the zenith of playing a melee character is autoattacking is sad imo

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why would you buy a used game for the the same price of getting it new? If you like the game (unlikely), go buy it new or get him to reduce his price.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png