As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Small form factor business laptops

Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the HolyRegistered User regular
I'm looking for recommendations for a small (30cm/12in wide at most) business laptop.
Ideally it will run Windows 7 Pro, be up to the task of running a powerpoint presentation with embedded (up to 720p) video, and last at least six hours on battery under normal (web browsing/word processing/e-mailing) use.

The model we currently have is a Toshiba Portege R200 from way back. If you guys have any recommendations for equivalents that aren't supplied by Dell, fire away. Please?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
Mr_Rose on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Whats the difference between "business laptop" and "well made netbook"?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What I tell the MD mostly. Also, things that get tagged "business" are generally more likely to have the "business" version of the OS. Which is necessary if I'm going to join the things to our Domain.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not entirely sure they're up to 720p video, but you might look at the lenovo X series. They fit the bill as far as everything else.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Just looked up those Lenovo X's and they look pretty good. The old R series seems to be there too - is the X a new version of the R or something?

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The X series has smaller screens and are naturally a bit lighter as well. They're basically the ultraportable line, as opposed to the more standard R line.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    desdinovadesdinova Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lenovo reseller here-
    R is the value line, these days I'd probably steer clear. The x-series is fabulous with amazing (10+ hrs) power options. I *want* to like the new x100 but until I've played with it (read: beat the hell out of it), I'm not sure. I haven't been suggesting it to anyone.

desdinova on
    wat
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fodder wrote: »
    The X series has smaller screens and are naturally a bit lighter as well. They're basically the ultraportable line, as opposed to the more standard R line.

X's are light (read: flimsy hinges) and as said, smaller. R's are bigger and have a better processor. G's (assuming they still make them) are heavier and have desktop processors; I think they make the chassis out of lead and then fill all the voids with gravel just to make it more work to carry.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    sinnsinn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Any particular reason you don't want to look at Dell? The Latitude E4300 is a heck of a machine, and exceeds your requirements...

http://www.dell.com/us/en/enterprise/notebooks/laptop_latitude_e4300/pd.aspx?refid=laptop_latitude_e4300&cs=555&s=biz

Just a thought. But I set up a few of these for the execs in my company and they love them to death.

sinn on
    He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh, hey! The people I was asked to buy for finally came up with a spec: "Just like our current ones but smaller and lighter." Genius.

So, with that in mind, I'm looking for something equivalent to:

1.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
    2GB RAM
    120GB HDD
    CD/DVD±RW
    Windows 7 Professional

With a maximum screen size of 12" and maximum weight of 1.8Kgs (4lbs, excl. power brick etc.).

We will also be purchasing desktop monitors so they can be used in-house as well, so if you have any suggestions for a decent 17" LCD monitor too, go for it.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    [strike]Looks like the only thing from Dell that meets those requirements is the Vostro 1220.[/strike] D'oh, just saw the part about no Dell.
    HP has nothing.
    Acer has the TravelMate 6293, but it's a bit too heavy (2.1kg/4.7lb). Maybe if they lightened their URLs...
    Too bad you need the optical drive. That eliminates most of the new ultra-thin ones.

corky842 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hm. I could probably talk them out of the optical drive if I said it would make it easier to carry...

Also, I see your point about the URLs. Yikes.

Mr_Rose on