As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows 7 Install Question

JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKECreature - SnakeRegistered User regular
I've got an upgrade copy of Win7, but it's telling me that I have to do a clean install instead of an in-place upgrade (I currently have Vista). I'm wary of losing my files, especially since I lost a lot of important pictures when I accidentally dropped my portable hard drive.

I've been seeing some indications that I wouldn't lose my files if I moved them to another partition on the same physical drive. Basically, C and D would be partitions on the same drive. C would have Windows and my programs (which I'd just reinstall), while D would have my personal files (Pictures, Music, etc.). If I installed Win7 to C, would D be left alone?

GameCenter: ROldford
Switch: nin.codes/roldford
Jacoby on

• Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Its telling you that you need to do a clean because you are going from 32bit to 64bit. Moving to a different partition like you mentioned will preserve your files.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jacoby wrote: »
    I'm wary of losing my files

Then have a proper backup and stop worrying. Doing an OS upgrade without a backup is just tempting the fates.

travathian on
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    travathian wrote: »
    Jacoby wrote: »
    I'm wary of losing my files

Then have a proper backup and stop worrying. Doing an OS upgrade without a backup is just tempting the fates.

I plan to, I'm just trying to get as many redundancies as possible. Thanks anyway though!

Jacoby on
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    bigwah wrote: »
    Its telling you that you need to do a clean because you are going from 32bit to 64bit. Moving to a different partition like you mentioned will preserve your files.

I'm not going from 32 to 64, but I am going from Vista Home Premium to 7 Pro. I thought that I could go from a lower Vista version to a higher Win7 version, but I might have had that backwards?

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Jacoby on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    even if you go from 32 to 64 bit, if you have enough hdd space it will place all your old files in the windows folder to windows.old

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif