As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat] Lich King? We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    End wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    If major patches were story segements, 3.3.5 would be 3.4, as that is the first attack by the Black Dragonflight.

Think bigger. Like "Acts" or whatever.
    I loved the voice chat Act.
    Because Voice Chat appeared in WotLK.

Wow, thanks for clearing that up.
    I guess I missed the part where the discussion about major/minor patches was limited only to WotLK.

You missed the part where I said WotLK changed the way they distinguished minor and major patches.

Minor patches didn't used to include content like they do now, for instance.
    How did WotLK change the way they distinguish minor and major patches, exactly?

Because minor patches sometimes including content doesn't sound like a change in distinguishing patches to me.

forty on
    edited March 2010
    Jars wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of complaining about how some classes only use two buttons to play. All I can really say about that is
    2634287974241518.JPG.19313260267924226
    I don't think it's invalid for people to complain about the rather large variance between difficulty/skill required and payoff across the spectrum of classes/specs.

More buttons does not equal harder though. Survival has 6 regular abilities but I find it very easy to play.
    Equal, no, but the correlation is strong. The 2-3 button specs are also typically the easiest, since Blizzard is not going to get a complicated rotation/priority mechanic out of so few abilities.

forty on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How did WotLK change the way they distinguish minor and major patches, no?

Because minor patches sometimes including content doesn't sound like a change in distinguishing patches to me.

It sure seems like a change in how they number their patches to me.

Pre-WotLK we had major patches being "content/features/major class changes" and minor revision being "bugfix".

With WotLK we're seeing new raid bosses get only a minor revision bump. We're seeing minor revision bumps stay on the PTR for a month or longer, when we rarely saw it on at all for a minor revision before that (and only for one or two weeks at most??). We're seeing multiple patches not even getting their own patch number.

And of course, (what brought this up) is that we've never seen a x.9 release specifically designed to precede a (x+1).0 release before now, and with the way patch numbers were used in Classic, I'm not sure how that would have made sense (unless we end up getting a 3.4, 3.5, ..., 3.8, which I highly doubt).

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dranyth wrote: »
    UncleChet wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. I had a 39 lock from vanilla days. Hated him. deleted him last week because i had 10 toons on the server and no room for a dullknight or a cataclysm character. I deleted my 14 pally cause i want to roll a cowadin come cata. I have a 14 priest but she kills SLOW. I was thinking shammy but there's only 2 starter areas and i dislike both. Undead stink too. Thoughts?

Shamans are amazing. And yes, the starting Tauren and Troll/Orc areas kind of suck, though as soon as I get past the intro stuff I run my Horde characters over to Eversong/Ghostlands anyway, so...

Only thing that sucks is how you have to jump back to TB/Org for training. That eventually becomes not much of an issue once you get Astral Recall and the minor glyph that reduces the cooldown to 7.5 minutes.

God I wish I had that back when I was leveling my Shaman. But even unglyphed, 15 minutes wasn't bad. 5 hearths an hour!

Bah, wish I had thought of that when I was leveling my Shaman. I haven't seen the Blood Elf starting areas and it would have been cool to experience them.

And I will agree Shamans are amazing. They kind of suck up until you get a fair amount of points into Enhancement, but fuck when you get dual-wield you are a meat grinder with legs.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
    edited March 2010

Pre-WotLK we had major patches being "content/features/major class changes" and minor revision being "bugfix".
    So what exactly has changed about major patches in WotLK, then?

forty on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the replies guys. I had a 39 lock from vanilla days. Hated him. deleted him last week because i had 10 toons on the server and no room for a dullknight or a cataclysm character. I deleted my 14 pally cause i want to roll a cowadin come cata. I have a 14 priest but she kills SLOW. I was thinking shammy but there's only 2 starter areas and i dislike both. Undead stink too. Thoughts?

Shamans are amazing. And yes, the starting Tauren and Troll/Orc areas kind of suck, though as soon as I get past the intro stuff I run my Horde characters over to Eversong/Ghostlands anyway, so...

Only thing that sucks is how you have to jump back to TB/Org for training. That eventually becomes not much of an issue once you get Astral Recall and the minor glyph that reduces the cooldown to 7.5 minutes.

God I wish I had that back when I was leveling my Shaman. But even unglyphed, 15 minutes wasn't bad. 5 hearths an hour!

Bah, wish I had thought of that when I was leveling my Shaman. I haven't seen the Blood Elf starting areas and it would have been cool to experience them.

And I will agree Shamans are amazing. They kind of suck up until you get a fair amount of points into Enhancement, but fuck when you get dual-wield you are a meat grinder with legs.

You should at the very least hit up BE areas for the 10-20 grind. Ghostlands is a fabulously designed zone.

shryke on
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

So what exactly has changed about major patches in WotLK, then?

I think the point is that major patches didn't change; it's that minor patches have actual content in them now instead of just bug fixes.

tehmarken on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    You should at the very least hit up BE areas for the 10-20 grind. Ghostlands is a fabulously designed zone.
    I'd recommend avoiding them as a Shaman though, because your nearest trainer is in Orgrimmar unfortunately. :(

815165 on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    dylman wrote: »
    Indeed. I reckon that puts Cataclysm nearer Christmas than summer. I really am going to have to quit for a few months if that's the case.
    I was thinking that too. In fact, already canceled for the second time in five years (the first being a period of about 3-5 weeks where I had to concentrate on a thesis). Hit a gear plateau that PUGs can't surpass and ran out of interesting things to get with emblems.

Worgen mage's full set of heirlooms is ready, though.

SabreMau on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    It's bad when the dude with twenty paladins is out of stuff to do.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Indeed. I reckon that puts Cataclysm nearer Christmas than summer. I really am going to have to quit for a few months if that's the case.
    I was thinking that too. In fact, already canceled for the second time in five years (the first being a period of about 3-5 weeks where I had to concentrate on a thesis). Hit a gear plateau that PUGs can't surpass and ran out of interesting things to get with emblems.

I've almost got enough seals/emblems for a full set of heirlooms for whatever new class I decide to roll in Cataclysm, but I'm holding off on actually buying them until I find out what they're going to do about heirlooms for the new races and class combos.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • formatformat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    right smack dab in the middle of outland clown suit mode. would love some heirlooms to even out the look a bit.

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    korodullin wrote: »

I've almost got enough seals/emblems for a full set of heirlooms for whatever new class I decide to roll in Cataclysm, but I'm holding off on actually buying them until I find out what they're going to do about heirlooms for the new races and class combos.

Didn't they just say something about heirlooms making you ineligible for first-to-85 achievements? Or are they removing their leveling effects altogether? I got little problem if it's the former, as I wasn't planning to put in 20-hour days working on that with a guild assist anyway.

SabreMau on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

There's also a Shaman trainer in Silvermoon, IIRC.

L Ron Howard on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Nope, druid.

Nobody on
    edited March 2010
    korodullin wrote: »

Didn't they just say something about heirlooms making you ineligible for first-to-85 achievements? Or are they removing their leveling effects altogether? I got little problem if it's the former, as I wasn't planning to put in 20-hour days working on that with a guild assist anyway.

I don't know. I haven't seen any Blizzard confirmations on anything at all, which is why I've been curious. If you've got any blue links, I'd love to see them.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited March 2010
    Only thing I've heard Blizzard confirm is that they aren't letting people race transfer to Worgen or Goblin until at least after the server has it's first-to-85 achievements covered.

I wonder about heirloom gear though. But I bet it's going to be very scary to see how quickly the first 85 worgen and goblin level. I imagine a raid of 80-85s following around helping somebody powergame through everything. And then that guy is gonna be so empty inside because of missing all the good stuff about the content.

I'm expecting to take about 4-5 months to level my Worgen to 85. I'm totally taking a long ass time and seeing everything I can.

Right now I'm just waiting on what Worgen Druid forms will look like before I buy heirlooms and such. I'm hoping for some great things.

tehmarken on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nobody wrote: »

Nope, druid.

That makes even less sense....

L Ron Howard on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well...there was once high elf druids. According to Warcraft II anyhow (in particular wrt runestones).

But really I'm guessing they added it more due to the lack of horde druid trainers than anything else.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, the only other Horde Druid trainer was in TB and that's a LONG haul for a low level character. Especially with no Org->TB Zep.

Shaman trainer is in Org though, which isn't that bad a haul from Silvermoon.

shryke on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    there is an org-TB zepplin. it's just really slow

Jars on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    With the Shaman trainer in Stormwind it would be nice if the Horde had a Shaman trainer on the continent somewhere.

Seg on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just get a portal to Dalaran and set my hearthstone there for all my characters regardless of level. Hearth to Dalaran and then take a portal to whichever city is closest to where you want to go.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
    edited March 2010
    there is an org-TB zepplin. it's just really slow

There wasn't in TBC when the zone was made.

shryke on
    edited March 2010
    That zeppelin got added in after Silvermoon, so kinda moot.

The trek for a shaman isn't too bad, hearth to Org and then a zep to UC, port to Silvermoon, and fly down to the Ghostlands.

Alliance shamans only have Exodar and Stormwind. It really sucks when you're leveling pretty much anywhere except the starter zone & westfall/redridge/duskwood/stv. So pretty much all of Kalimdor and any zone north of Ironforge.

tehmarken on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Silvermoon druid trainer is the only Horde druid trainer on the EK continent. There's 4 of 'em on Kalimdor (Bloodhoof, TB, Moonglade, and the Horde town in Feralas). I remember back in the day when the Kalim continent server would crash and I needed to buy skills or respec but was stuck on EK.

Opty on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There isn't really any good reason for every city to not have one of each class trainer.

815165 on
    edited March 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    There isn't really any good reason for every city to not have one of each class trainer.

Stormwind has every class trainer except Death Knights. More cities should be like that.

Seg on
    edited March 2010
    tehmarken wrote: »
    That zeppelin got added in after Silvermoon, so kinda moot.

The trek for a shaman isn't too bad, hearth to Org and then a zep to UC, port to Silvermoon, and fly down to the Ghostlands.

Alliance shamans only have Exodar and Stormwind. It really sucks when you're leveling pretty much anywhere except the starter zone & westfall/redridge/duskwood/stv. So pretty much all of Kalimdor and any zone north of Ironforge.

Why would you set your Hearth in Org?

Set it in whatever town you are currently questing in, fly to Org, Hearth Back.

That way you can jump back to town to turn in quests every 30 minutes too.

shryke on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

There's a Shaman Trainer in Ironforge.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    edited March 2010

Where? I didn't think it had been added yet.

Seg on
    edited March 2010
    Seg wrote: »

Where? I didn't think it had been added yet.

http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=23127

This dude apparently.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=23127

I was using him when I started leveling my Shaman again.

Edit: Koro stole my [strike]kill[/strike] post.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm excited for the gnome event. Give us gnomes a home city again, please!
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Cenarion+Circle&cn=Eliza

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Keep in mind Druids can just use Teleport Moonglade and hearth again. It takes 3 minutes to learn new skills and get back to leveling.

Also are the 'old' races starter zones going to be redone? Because man goblins do not appeal to me at all.

Insert 'should have got Naga' rant.

Blurbl on
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    boo icky gnomes

trolls all da way, mon

Super Namicchi on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    boo icky gnomes

trolls all da way, mon

Yeah, women who get off on cannibalism and halitosis are extremely cool and attractive.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There's a new announcement-announcement about the TCG:
    Bornakk wrote:
    We wanted to take a minute and provide an update on the current status of this game. We want to reassure players that the TCG will continue, and look forward to releasing the Wrathgate and Icecrown expansions this spring and summer. The new plans are being finalized and there should be a full announcement by this weekend.
    Source

I'm looking forward to the weekend.

Grobian on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Grobian wrote: »
    There's a new announcement-announcement about the TCG:
    Bornakk wrote:
    We wanted to take a minute and provide an update on the current status of this game. We want to reassure players that the TCG will continue, and look forward to releasing the Wrathgate and Icecrown expansions this spring and summer. The new plans are being finalized and there should be a full announcement by this weekend.
    Source

I'm looking forward to the weekend.

Hail Satan!

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    boo icky gnomes

trolls all da way, mon

Yeah, women who get off on cannibalism and halitosis are extremely cool and attractive.

don't be hatin' on alternate lifestyle choices man

Super Namicchi on
This discussion has been closed.