As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Car Radio broke, sorta

JebusUDJebusUD Adventure!Candy IslandRegistered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Last night I was listening to NPR when all of a sudden the speakers made a sound like a cannon in a movie. Not too loud, far away. Think An old timey ship fight scene. Boomph! then nothing. Well, I figured that the station had just gone down for a few minutes, which happens every once in a while. After a few minutes I decide it isn't coming back right away, so change the channel. The problem is there are apparently no other channels. None. So no way all the FM stations are down at once. I change it to AM and that works. So, is there anything I can do barring replacing the radio? How is it possible that one form of transmission works and the other doesn't? I figure if part of the hardware broke, the whole radio would not work. But clearly it still does. WTF?

TL;DR Car radio works but only picks up AM, not FM, signal. How can I get my FM back?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
but they're listening to every word I say
JebusUD on

• Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There are both FM and AM receivers in car stereos. It sounds as if your FM receiver has died. What kind of car is it and is it a factory or aftermarket radio?

badpoet on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    badpoet wrote: »
    There are both FM and AM receivers in car stereos. It sounds as if your FM receiver has died. What kind of car is it and is it a factory or aftermarket radio?

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan Factory tapedeck. I am not sure the brand. I know it has an infinity sound system, so maybe that is what the radio is too.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's possible that the plug for the FM antenna came unplugged from the back of the deck.... maybe

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's possible that the plug for the FM antenna came unplugged from the back of the deck.... maybe

We can hope.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There's usually only one antenna plug. You might be able to still get AM stations in without one, but they'd come in very poorly. It can't hurt to check to see if the antenna plug isn't all the way in, (unless you break a bunch of stuff taking the dash apart).

badpoet on