As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of Wireless Networks and Printers

wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So here's the deal. Right now I have a wireless network setup in my apartment. The cable goes to the router, and hardwired to the router is my mac mini running os x tiger. Plugged into my mac mini is my printer/scanner via usb port. Running off of the wireless G network are my laptop and my Wii.

Now my question is if there is a way to make it so that my laptop, through the wireless network, can print things using the printer hooked up to my mac mini? or do I need some other kind of hardware or something?

Thanks guys

siggy2.jpg
Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
wombat on

• Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    yes but the mac mini has to be turned on

you need a printserver to use the printer without having it plugged into the mac mini

or most ideal, its a network printer that can be plugged in as its own thing with its own ip address

in the first option you just add a printer and say its on the network connected through another computer (make sure the mini is turned on and shit)

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Eat_FireEat_Fire Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    you can use a printer server to plug or wirelessly connect your printer to your router so that both computers can use the printer regardless of whether either one is on.

You failed to mention if you have a apple laptop or or a windows based laptop. If its apple based im sure (but dont know how) macs can share printers.

If its a windows based laptop, there maybe (once again I dont know for sure).

I say go with the print server :P that way your Mac Mini doesnt have to be on for the printer to work.

Eat_Fire on
    -Updating life to SP1-
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    sorry, yeah it's a windows laptop

and I kind of dont want to buy a print server because Im pretty broke. so are there any tutorials or walkthroughs or anything online that could help me set this up? or is it relatively easy?

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cheap Linux print server tutorial. All you really need is an old computer.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    so I went into the printer settings in OS X, and set my printer to "Share this printer" or whatever it says

now when I go into XP, under the printer settings, and tell it to search the network for a printer, nothing comes up

am I missing a step, or do I have to type in the address of the printer independently?

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In windows, add a printer, add a network printer defined as this:

"\\minimacname\printersharename"

So if you mini mac happened to be called "littletiger" and your printershare was called "hp3033" the path would be:

"\\littletiger\hp3033"

Windows may be able to install it's own drivers or you may have to use the driver disk or download them from the internet.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ruckus wrote:
    In windows, add a printer, add a network printer defined as this:

"\\minimacname\printersharename"

So if you mini mac happened to be called "littletiger" and your printershare was called "hp3033" the path would be:

"\\littletiger\hp3033"

Windows may be able to install it's own drivers or you may have to use the driver disk or download them from the internet.

it says that Windows Cannot Connect To This Printer, etc etc

the mac is on, the printer is on

hmmmmmm...what do I do now?

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    um up?

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg