As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Martin Jetpack

124»

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Guys.

Jetpack races.

Firefighters on jetpacks.

9cfe728d814bc02b951c567b10270d89.png

Hilarious firefighters on jetpacks.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Couldn't this type of thing be used in urban rescue scenarios?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Only the thin people... cause, you know... 240lb weight limit. I imagine high winds (like you'd get up high and/or around a fire) would be problematic.

GungHo on
  • Options
    RomTorskRomTorsk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Looks like two washing machines strapped to a rollercoaster seat. Can someone lend 75k bucks???

RomTorsk on
    49f21.png
  • Options
    Commander 598Commander 598 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I believe any "legal issues" would likely end up falling under "Does anyone give a shit/know dick about FAA regs"? Aside from flying over cities I think it's pretty much unenforceable, at least until some jackass knocks someone's teeth out with a stick that was thrown up by down wash when they decided to land on top of a crowd THEN they get to apply FAA regs to him.

Commander 598 on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    if i'm only going to use 140lbs of that 240 lb limit can i get a bigger fuel tanks

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    No. 5 gallons is the max for being classified as ultralight.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Am I wrong for thinking that the first act of nastiness will come in the form of some dude pissing, shitting, or both on his boss' head from a couple hundred feet up?

Every time there's a new technology introduced with the potential for nastiness, someone is bound to do it.

krush on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    if i'm only going to use 140lbs of that 240 lb limit can i get a bigger fuel tanks
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    No. 5 gallons is the max for being classified as ultralight.

translation: yes, if you keep it quiet.

L|ama on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    You'd have to redesign the rest of the craft to acccomodate the bigger and heavier tanks

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So how long will it be until I'm watching the jet pack jousting finals in the X Games?

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I liked Journey Escape on the 2600.

Yar on
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You'd have to redesign the rest of the craft to acccomodate the bigger and heavier tanks

The "redesign" probably wouldn't be. Ten bucks says the tank sits on top of the engine and gravity feeds down to it. Unbolt the fancy plastic cover on top, undo a hose clamp, pop the tank off and mount one from a bigger lawnmower. It's not exactly consumer-friendly but I think even a moderate DIYer could pull it off.

Though come to think of it that would make it awful to refuel. Hmm.

Actually I don't remember if I found out what grade of fuel the thing uses. A cursory Google search brings up a claim that it's regular auto fuel, which would be consistent with an ultralight, but I haven't seen that in official press.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    E-RexE-Rex Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

The "redesign" probably wouldn't be. Ten bucks says the tank sits on top of the engine and gravity feeds down to it. Unbolt the fancy plastic cover on top, undo a hose clamp, pop the tank off and mount one from a bigger lawnmower. It's not exactly consumer-friendly but I think even a moderate DIYer could pull it off.

Though come to think of it that would make it awful to refuel. Hmm.

Actually I don't remember if I found out what grade of fuel the thing uses. A cursory Google search brings up a claim that it's regular auto fuel, which would be consistent with an ultralight, but I haven't seen that in official press.

It's premium gas according to the faq on the company website.

E-Rex on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    gravity feeding of course means that loops are risky. Well, slightly more than usual.

L|ama on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    trying to go upsidedown in a helo is generally not a good idea anyway

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Unless you're in Airwolf

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Didn't scan through 6 pages because I'm lazy. Parachute included with this thing?

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Elitistb wrote: »
    Didn't scan through 6 pages because I'm lazy. Parachute included with this thing?

Ugh. But yeah.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I bet that would really help with a 50 foot fall. :P

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yar wrote: »
    I liked Journey Escape on the 2600.

*looks at the avatar*

I can believe that.

I was referring to the digital camera they built into the machines. It took your picture when you entered your high score, unfortunately somebody decided that this new technology was just right for flashing their... areas... to and, thus, got the camera disabled.

krush on