As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Domains and hosting

PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
Please humour me, as I never dabbled in the "make your own" website side of the net which was so popular all those years ago and I've got a few questions.

I've just bought a domain name for the purpose of learning ASP.net, what type of hosting package will I require to be able to practice this? I have been looking here http://www.hostinguk.net/webhosting.asp

Once you have a hosting package is it simple to link the host to the domain?

Prime on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The basic one, and yes, that's about all you'd need to do Prime.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanks, gone with the basic. Should be fun.

Prime on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You don't need a domain and host to learn ASP.NET.

Visual Studio comes with a local webhost for testing.

In fact it's easier to learn with the local host since ASP.NET is subject to a huge swath of arcane and unholy configuration settings that can be declared at the machine and app pool level and can vary by host.

It won't really matter for the ultra basics but I've had many a duel with .NET hosts over shoddy configurations on their part.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh I know you dont NEED it as ive been using it for a week or two, but if your gonna practice something why not practice it for real. Not exactly gonna miss the 5-6 quid it cost to setup :)

Prime on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I agree with Jasconius.

However, it's always great to share what you're doing and have other people try it out too to see what they think.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me