As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

F.E.A.R. 3: Point Man & Paxton bro-fist, Alma resigned to comic relief

123457»

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Damn, I forgot about the orbital drop troopers too. That was just goofy.

So... how many more games until we get FEAR in space?

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I too did not care for the change in style.

The best way I can describe the differences between the aesthetic of F.E.A.R 1 and F.E.A.R 2 is this, the first game looked like it was designed to reflect a believable world, everything seemed vaguely plausible and grounded. There was some sci-fi stuff, but not enough to stretch my suspension of disbelief.

Then in the second game everything looked like a video game, it was all stylized and covered in glowing bits and bobs, and then of course you had the half dozen underground facilities and Mechs the size of houses.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Orbital shock troops? Holy balls, I don't even remember that.

I must have blacked out on 2's story more than I thought I did.
    Ditto here. Then again, my recollection of the second game is something along the lines of

1. Genevieve Aristide: Still A Bitch
    2. Mechs Happened
    3. Rape Happened

Monger on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wait, do you guys mean Sloth or Chunk?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just theorying here on Three. Game will take place *shrug* 8 weeks after 2.

Pointman has gone solo because other than his handler at FEAR HQ everyone else is dead thanks to Alma.
    Fettel
    freashly revived by transfering his psychic self into his cloned body of the trooper.
    Joins Pointman because Alma stole everything from him. She left him to die, stole his troops, and now doesn't even care about them because of their new baby brother/sister.

How it ends? Just based off that trailer I imagine Fettel will use his powers to locks Alma in a solid state so Pointman can inflict harm to her. Becket is similar to the final fight of Project Origin with him appearing to teleport around the room and Pointman can keep up by going into his enhanced state. Final blow to Alma unleashes a psychic wake that kills off every living thing within the Alma tainted zone. Only surviving cast member is the FEAR team leader.

Either that or rocks fall from the sky and kill everybody.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ad astra wrote: »

The best way I can describe the differences between the aesthetic of F.E.A.R 1 and F.E.A.R 2 is this, the first game looked like it was designed to reflect a believable world, everything seemed vaguely plausible and grounded. There was some sci-fi stuff, but not enough to stretch my suspension of disbelief.

Then in the second game everything looked like a video game, it was all stylized and covered in glowing bits and bobs, and then of course you had the half dozen underground facilities and Mechs the size of houses.

I see the opposite. I found the lighting/shade in FEAR 1 so intense it felt cartoony. A lot of rooms where there would be a light source, shining intensely in one spot, and everything around was pure pitch black. Not that that was a bad thing. I thought it was effective.

I thought F.E.A.R.2 looked more real.

I'm tempted to grab FEAR2 and 1. The games really play out like long movies, and could be enjoyable during a second playthough.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wait, do you guys mean Sloth or Chunk?

Ah! Yes! Thank you. I knew it wasn't right, but I figured folks would get the idea. Now that you mention Sloth, I remember Chunk is the chunky one. Sloth is Mr. "Whats wrong with your faaaaaaaace?"

Glad to know I wasn't the only one put off by FEAR 2' aesthetics. Also that I'm not getting lambasted for mentioning realism and plausibility in a world with clones and mechs. :P

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cantido wrote: »

I see the opposite. I found the lighting/shade in FEAR 1 so intense it felt cartoony. A lot of rooms where there would be a light source, shining intensely in one spot, and everything around was pure pitch black. Not that that was a bad thing. I thought it was effective.

I thought F.E.A.R.2 looked more real.

I'm tempted to grab FEAR2 and 1. The games really play out like long movies, and could be enjoyable during a second playthough.

I still load up FEAR 1 and 2 randomly for a quick run through. I love the series and its fun to go back to now and then.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I should really get my copy of F.E.A.R. installed on Linux. I haven't played the first game since I switched (they both work under Wine).

It's just like, so bad-assed-ly intense I'm worried I'll just get completely sucked in again... like the first time.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Here's little bit of new info, it's not much, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

F.E.A.R 3 update

Ad astra on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There was a trailer for this the other day. It was mostly... live-action. They should have realized unless it's a Zelda dance number, live-action trailers are terrible.

Also, they stole the bloodsucker from STALKER! Did anyone else notice that?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I still load up FEAR 1 and 2 randomly for a quick run through. I love the series and its fun to go back to now and then.
    I feel the same way.

FEAR 2 felt more Duke Nukem-esque when it came to action, but in the end I still found it very enjoyable.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The new Point Man trailer. Feels like the live action stuff is being directed by Wes Craven. Wonder where Templesmith's influence will come from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aagVrEPakzc

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The new Point Man trailer. Feels like the live action stuff is being directed by Wes Craven. Wonder where Templesmith's influence will come from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aagVrEPakzc

I was almost expecting point man and Fettel to chest bump at the end. This looks like the biggest pile of dog shit... and I actually liked FEAR2... :evil:

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Do what? I thought the trailer was fun....

urahonky on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Does Alma even relate to the series any more? It's like the game is just about killing replicants now.

(I half expected Fettel to start throwing hadoukens)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Does Alma even relate to the series any more? It's like the game is just about killing replicants now.

(I half expected Fettel to start throwing hadoukens)

Hard to say at this point. The one thing that really bugs me is why does Reborn Fettel still have a bullet wound in his face? When his new host body removed the helmet there was no bullet hole.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Because bad story telling is Wes Craven's specialty and this new developer is a silly goose? WB don't care about the franchise beyond the bucks? Take your pick.

I look forward to how awful this game will be. It will define generic FPS for the next decade.

Klash on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was expecting the Fist Pound at the end of that trailer... but I guess it wouldn't of been appropriate.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The live action portions of that trailer are pretty terrible, and it would be nice if they would show more then a few seconds of actual gameplay.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Considering how Jericho ended I hope Craven is just in charge of the Promo and they let Templesmith handle the game storyline side of things.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Considering how Jericho ended I hope Craven is just in charge of the Promo and they let Templesmith handle the game storyline side of things.

I'm fairly certain you all mean John Carpenter

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lol what the fuck is this shit

Welp let's hope this is just a Dragon Age style retarded video to lure in um... new players or something? Still can't get over point man's mane of hair. How silly.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Kneel wrote: »

Yes. Yes we did.

Of course, I always switch them around because I see them both as equally shitty director/writers that wrote amazing things in the 80's but couldn't direct/write their way out of a paper bag since the 90's.

Klash on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Klash wrote: »
    Kneel wrote: »

Yes. Yes we did.

Of course, I always switch them around because I see them both as equally shitty director/writers that wrote amazing things in the 80's but couldn't direct/write their way out of a paper bag since the 90's.

Pretty much this :P

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The live action portions of that trailer are pretty terrible, and it would be nice if they would show more then a few seconds of actual gameplay.

I thought the trailer was fine.

I read a preview in Game Informer. I was pretty impressed with what they say they'll be offering.

It looks like it's less Gears of War co-op, and more that Pointman and Fettel have opposite objectives in each mission that conflict with each other. It's an alliance of convenience, not friendship or family.

Theoretical example: Pointman just wants to escape from an Armachan ambush. Fettel, being a psychopathic maniac wants to kill more. Pointman has objectives that lessen the number of foes/make it easier to escape, while Fettel can actively sabotage Pointman by forcing him to engage more foes as they work their way through the ruins.

Alternatively, Pointman can work with Fettel, leading, supposedly to new events and endings. There was also talk of a L4D-esque "monster generator" at one point in the interview too to add replayability to the game. Though no idea if it'll be in.

Archonex on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    See I would not object at all if this game had a sort of Splinter Cell type arrangement of a highly scripted single player experience and a dynamic multiplayer offering.

A scary game requires a very carefully nurtured atmosphere. That atmosphere is created by carefully pacing encounters, supplies and plot points. The player needs to be tense, jumpy, and stressed enough for resources that they'll start unwisely poking around in dark corners for ammo and med kits.

FEAR nailed this. FEAR 2 didn't quite get this. FEAR 3 seems to be tossing it all out the window.

But I have been proven wrong before, so I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what gets delivered.

Robman on
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm pretty sure there was this tiny little sidebar paragraph in the Game Informer feature saying that all the stuff they have been talking about is the co-op stuff, and the single player is a separate thing. Like, you play through the same story but Fettel only shows up in cutscenes and isn't like an AI bot partner or something. Which is good, because I don't care for the idea of a co-op FEAR game.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Finished FEAR 2 last night. I did not expect
    to be raped by Alma.

I'm suspicious of the next game, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't going to make it a day one purchase.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Looks like the Fettel trailer has hit the tubes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HREXLcklDGM

Explosive bro hugs in co-op!

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This whole bringing back Fettel shit is already annoying me, and all I have on this game is like a few trailers.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It doesn't even look like Fettel anymore.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That trailer is just amazingly bad.

Warcry on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I... didn't mind it? Thinking you guys might be taking things a tad too seriously. Hell how much do we even know about the game other than these trailers that vaguely show the gameplay? It's fluff, story mostly. To be honest the story of F.E.A.R. was never exactly Shakespearean in nature anyway.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    F.E.A.R 3 info.

It sounds.... interesting.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The live action stuff is somewhat cheesy, but I'm looking forward to the game.

Played through both FEAR2 and Reborn recently; great fun, but no where near as unsettling/scary as the original. I can't help but wonder if that's due to the absence of Fettel as an antagonist (visions, etc) combined with Alma's behaviour towards the player.
    In the original, she makes every attempt to terrify and / or kill you. In FEAR2, aside from grabbing you occasionally, she mostly leads the way for Beckett so she can eventually get her kebab filled.

I'll definitely be picking this up as soon as it's released.

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg