As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

8-bit Super Mushroom Computer case

thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Games and Technology
Hey guys, I just got finished building this and I figure this is the best audience to appreciate this case :D
It handles all new pc games pretty well but I intended it as a HTPC but I couldn't resist making it able to play video games.

Heres the video of me making it with Some awesome Super Mario RPG music thanks to OCRemix.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAq2_QkjGIE

This is the video of my 8-bit Black Mage for the Final Fantasy fans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoUVgK65FIA

IMG_1235-1.jpg

IMG_1229-1.jpg

IMG_1279-1.jpg

IMG_1282-1.jpg

IMG_1317-1.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!

thorkon on

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is the black mage a computer case too?

In any event, that's pretty awesome.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yes, yes it is. I posted him here about a year ago actually. I cant believe you dont remember! :(

ha jk. I guess I can throw the video of the black mage being constructed in the OP too for those interested in him :)

thorkon on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sweet. I have a mario case, too!

quakecon_casemod_12.jpg

Remington on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So if I understand this correctly, the entire case is made up of small wooden blocks? And you haven't encountered any issues with overheating?

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Remington wrote: »
    Sweet. I have a mario case, too!

quakecon_casemod_12.jpg

The green pipe is a nice touch.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Awesome case, remington. Looks sweet and That pipe is a very good touch.

Ranadiel, I have had no overheating problem as I have owned the black mage for over a year and it runs perfect. I have some pretty big fans to make sure it stays a decent temp.

thorkon on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The lights on the bottom look like the mushroom is about to take off like a rocket. Nice touch.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Very nice! I remember you posting your Blackmage case before. I like the usage of wooden blocks for pixels.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Just got back from PAX East and it was awesome! I heard Gabe and Tycho came by and seen the Mushroom and the Black Mage but I was at the concert eating brains with Jonathon Coulton and missed them.. But someone from Kotaku came by and took pictures and put it on there website! And CPU magazine is gonna feature it and gave me computer parts for my next mod! Best weekend ever!

thorkon on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    nice.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey, I remember you posting the black mage case awhile back, good job with this one too. Nice to see you're still making stuff. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is absolutely amazing. If I had 2 grand, I'd commission you to build me one!

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You know, I imagine wood probably would be a useful heatsink. It attracts heat, while not radiating it much. As long as there is room for airflow, It'd probably stay nice inside. Neat.

Great case mods though. How much do they weigh?

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FluffyBunniFluffyBunni Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Very Epic. Were those just wood blocks you were using to construct it?

FluffyBunni on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So far I have had no heat problems with the black mage, which is over a year old now.

The black mage weighs almost 90 lbs
    The Super Mushroom weighs almos 50lbs I'd say.

I had to dolly them around pretty much. I guess it makes the mushroom more accurate that way by sliding around.

thorkon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    thorkon wrote: »
    So far I have had no heat problems with the black mage, which is over a year old now.

The black mage weighs almost 90 lbs
    The Super Mushroom weighs almos 50lbs I'd say.

I had to dolly them around pretty much. I guess it makes the mushroom more accurate that way by sliding around.

You should attach wheels to the underside. :D

Hey, question. On both of those, where is the CD insert slot for the disk drive?

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    While it's almost a dick move to criticize something so cool, it seems like there's room for improvement when it comes to making them less boxy. I'd rather see something that makes sense in 3d space than something that matches a sprite perfectly.

But I definitely see improvement in that regard from the black mage to the mushroom, so good job!

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh, I'm just now noticing this, but please tell me that the Black Mage's wand lights up when the computer is on.

Please.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nice, I saw it from a distance since I was too cheap to get the BYOC badge(a grave mistake). I think you were next to my friend with the ammo case mod.

Awesome vids.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yea, I am starting to round off the cases more but I don't see them getting more rounded then the mushroom though. Once they start to get rounded the outlining becomes difficult to make work. Thats why the mushroom has no outlines on the side.

I was joking about putting wheels on the mushroom at the lan. Would of been easier to travel with :D

Yes, Ranadiel, the wand lights up and it can be touched when it turns on :). The cd drive on the black mage is the mouth and the mushroom has no built in cd drive with the way digital distribution is becoming do dominant so I have a external usb drive if needed but it seems fine without it.

@Elementalor: I was next to the ammo case mod, but I never seen the builder :(. The BYOC was definately worth it even if you didnt bring a computer as the stuff they gave out was worth more than the byoc badge.

thorkon on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    Oh, I'm just now noticing this, but please tell me that the Black Mage's wand lights up when the computer is on.

Please.

I saw a picture, and it looks like the wand is one of those science globes that has sparks that go to you when you touch the globe

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png