As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Approaching an organization for a photography project.

LucidLucid Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm a photographer who is interested in different social issues. One of these issues that's been prominent in my mind for a while and lately is that of women in the sex trade, more specifically aboriginal women(I'm in canada). These people are some of the most invisible to society, and are taken advantage of on a persistent basis, in many instances it can be to the point of physical harm or death.

I'd like to do a portrait project with women involved in this work(people who help, and those who directly work in the sex trade). I don't want to come across as exploitative though, or insensitive. Especially seeing how I am a white male. I do feel passionate about two things in life however, photography, and helping people who are disadvantaged in various ways. I work for a refugee center where I live, and deal with people who come from sensitive backgrounds on a regular basis.

I'm wondering on methods of approaching an organization involved with this.

I'm also thinking about if this is too much of an issue to get into for someone who hasn't really done any larger projects with photography before. I have taken pictures of homeless people( I always ask and help them out if I can) in hopes of building a project over time with that. I don't mean this to be a huge project, just a little something I could do with my talent to lend a voice and communicate with people what the situation with these people is like, and who they are. I guess I'm in the very early conceptualizing stages.

Lucid on

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm currently working with a NGO in India and I can tell you one thing: having someone take good pictures is a gift send from the heavens.

Apply to whatever aid organisations try to help these women, explain what you want to do, link your online portfolio to proof that you are a real photographer and ask if they can help you with your plans. If they are smart they will ask you to take pictures they can use in their marketing as well. Having good pictures on their website and other marketing material is a great way to attract additional funding and volunteers. Professionalism is a highly valued virtue among sponsors and pictures say more than a thousand words, after all.

I think an artist like you who wants to raise awareness about a taboo subject will be able to do a lot of good to these women and the aid organisations will recognize this. Do keep in mind NGOs usually cannot afford to pay you (in fact, if they would I would wonder if they can't spend their funds in better ways) and all expenses will probably be on you. Make sure you have enough funds available to cover travel expenses, printing costs and enough left for unexpected things.

Aldo on