Options

[DnD 4e PbP] The Massacre at Fort Dolor OOC thread

• Options
    Jack HobbesJack Hobbes Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It begins.

Before we start, Veevee, is there...any reason that you're not wielding a two-handed weapon? Avengers favor them due to their higher damage dice, and you already have Dwarven Weapon Training, meaning you have access to the Executioner's Axe, which is d12 brutal 2 high crit.

On an unrelated note, the only divine member of our party a dwarf named Moridan. A dwarf, named after a god, who worships a different god. Our characters are going to get along swimmingly.

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There was a plan to my choices.

I never said that it would be best for you guys.

Farangu on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sabotage!!

Anyway, one question about my guy: Can my spirit flank with the rest of the group? I dont see anything that says it cant. Thats really the only question I had about the class.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    From my knowledge, it can use group members to flank.

Also, if anyone else needs last minute advice from Hobbes, I'll accept character sheet changes until we leave Meresten, so long as you post your new one and tell me that it's final.

Also Hobbes, now is where you tell me what happens when marked enemies don't swing for Zurin.

Farangu on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It begins.

Before we start, Veevee, is there...any reason that you're not wielding a two-handed weapon? Avengers favor them due to their higher damage dice, and you already have Dwarven Weapon Training, meaning you have access to the Executioner's Axe, which is d12 brutal 2 high crit.

On an unrelated note, the only divine member of our party a dwarf named Moridan. A dwarf, named after a god, who worships a different god. Our characters are going to get along swimmingly.

Like I said, made the character quickly. I was thinking of doing hammers and have the Warhammer equipped as a 2-hander. I want to keep him as a hammer user (things go squish instead of sliced), but could switch to the Maul of Oaths Fulfilled if it would be a better option to use a strictly 2-handed weapon. And looking at it I think I will.

And yeah the name was the first that came to mind and I liked the story implications it could have so I went with it.

Backstory being written now, the wife demanded we play some borderlands and that's not a demand I can say no to.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Veevee your wife is an awesome person who must surely reside in a dimension of pure light and joy.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=195702

Ok, I got rid of my amulet and magic longspear cause I wasn't thinking last night (Shamans dont actually stab things!) and picked up a cloak of resistance and two potions of vitality.

Anyone have any suggestions? Did Far ever decide on if we get one of the expertise feats for free?

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I did. You don't.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The spirit is a conjuration, and conjurations cannot flank. The Panther shaman build has an at-will called Stalker's Strike (PHB2) that, if it hits, lets the spirit flank until the end of your next turn. If you want to change out your human bonus at-will to that, now's probably the time to do it (you can't actually choose it normally, since you are a Bear shaman).

Once per turn, as a free action, I can mark all enemies adjacent to me. These marks last until the end of my next turn (even if I move away). If an adjacent target (that is also marked) makes an attack roll that doesn't include me, I get to make a Warden's Fury attack as an Immediate Interrupt (meaning that it goes off before the triggering attack roll). +13 vs Fort, 1d12+8 damage, and the target grants combat advantage until the end of my next turn.

If a marked target within 5 square of me makes an attack roll that doesn't include me, I get to make a Warden's Grasp attack as an Immediate Reaction (meaning it goes off after the triggering attack roll). It doesn't require an attack roll; the target is slid one square, is slowed, and cannot shift until the end of its next turn (not mine).

Both are Immediate Actions, meaning that I can't use them on my turn, and I only get one per round, meaning that if I use one, I can't use the other (or that one again) until the next time my turn rolls around.

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ...That would be why I thought they could flank, then. The only time I ever played with a guy using a shaman, he was always using that one power. Thanks for the save, Hobbes.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If you want to hit things with a hammer, I can't recommend the Mordenkrad highly enough. It's like a Maul, only it's Brutal 1 (reroll 1's). Plus, just by having Dwarven Weapon Training, you already have proficiency with it!

Isn't life grand?

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Since you have so much time to be Mother Teresa, you could always get your first character post in. :D

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Psssst. I totally already did.

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ...*slow clap*

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Moridan backstory:
    The first male born to a master weaponsmith, he was given the name of the god his family worshipped. He was raised in the arts of weaponsmithing, but was never able to create anything more than the basic hammers and axes that his people required, but showed adept skill in the art of buying low and selling high. Opening his own shop that featured his father's weapons at the young age of 52, he prospered and started leading caravan after caravan to amass even more wealth in the name of greed. Every single caravan he led was attacked by bandits, each time the bandits were waiting almost like they were told the route it would be traveling, but each time no one was killed. Many guards and caravan workers were injured, some severely, but an arrow that missed an artery by the barest of margins or rock from a sling hitting a nose guard instead of the eye led Moridan to believe he was being watched over by Lady Luck.

Each successful caravan brought more and more confidence to Moridan, but eventually his luck did run out. One fateful caravan, Moridan lost everyone to the bandits, but through a twist of fate (or luck as he says) Moridan was knocked unconscious from a sling. When he came to Moridan saw the carnage that was once his caravan, seeing his friends and employees hacked to bits, most were unrecognizable except for the clothing they wore, he vowed revenge in the name of his goddess Avandra and Moridan the merchant died at that moment. He switched clothes with a guard of similar size to let his family back home have closure after they found the now dead caravan, and began his new life in the service of Avandra.

And changed out the maul to the Mordenkrad, thanks for the tip

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So this place we're in, is it a big town? Like, would it have a noble class? Just wondering if Im from here, or if I should make some place up with your approval?

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    And I was an idiot and gave starlight goggles (gain low-light vision) to a dwarf, what was I thinking?

Switched them out for Circle of Authority, removed the Robe of Eyes and gave him the Sanguine Vestments Cloth Armor.

And with that I believe I am done tinkering

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Lard this is a town that is on the up-and-up, but a town nonetheless. Not big enough to warrant a noble class. You could use the former capital city of Ashenport, or make up your own town.

Also Vee link to updated char sheet?

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/1723

And I used the Character Builder to build the character, but it's saying my status is Houseruled but I can't figure out how. Anyone see how it could be?

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ok so I just kinda made up a city, Tavare, its to the south and they are famed for their wineries. Though my guy doesnt realize they probably dont do a whole lot of exporting to small towns.

EDIT: Also, just so you guys know, I work 4pm-10/11pm EST pretty much every day so I wont be postin then. But theres nothin stoppin me from gettin in several posts at night and in the mornin. Just figured Id let you guys know.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I figure that everyone will post whenever they can. I'll give the better part of tomorrow for just RP stuff, since I don't think Mundane and Pinfeldorf know that they're in yet.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ok I don't know, how do you make a campaign on invisiblecastle

Farangu on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was staring at The Men Who Stare at Goats until about three minutes ago.

Anyways, I found out I can just upload CB files to orokos so I now have http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/1725 ready to go, there. Just need a bit of info on how I can make pretty links to my dice rolls so they look like 'HIT!' instead of a url.

Anyway, going to get to posting IC now!

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm going with the assumption that a Nature check can identify those who have a close relationship with spirits (and nobody has a closer relationship with spirits than Shamans). Lard can oppose with a Bluff check if he's trying to hide his Shamaninity if he wants to, I suppose.

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sounds like a solid assumption, if such a thing can exist.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Is Shamaninity akin to anonymity? Because, if so, I need to get all up ons that.

Also, I'm not sure how my character would react to a surly, stinking pile of skins, so I'm going to go with 'ignores him unless he does something funny'.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm going with the assumption that a Nature check can identify those who have a close relationship with spirits (and nobody has a closer relationship with spirits than Shamans). Lard can oppose with a Bluff check if he's trying to hide his Shamaninity if he wants to, I suppose.

Nah, not gonna oppose the check. I dont really have anything on me declaring me a shaman (though Im not entirely sure what a totem would actually look like. All I can imagine is a section of a totem pole and that just seems awkward), so if Far is cool with that being high enough to recognize me, then its fine by me!

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That seems good enough. Also does anyone know how to make a campaign on invisiblecastle?

Edit: character sheets are linked in OP of game thread, in the introduction section.

Farangu on
  • Options
    FelixSomethingSomethingFelixSomethingSomething Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Whoops, too slow.

FelixSomethingSomething on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Missed another. I was sure I had until the 1st to submit, and needed to think up another concept once I was told the Swordmage wasn't allowed. :p

Ah well, I'll wait for the next recruitment thread. Enjoy the game, lucky winners!

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ah damnit, well, I'll keep my character submitted for if and when someone drops.

Sipex on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh, I got chosen! I'll get a break from work around 2 today, so I'll write up a post then. Turns out a male deva token is hard to come by. I'll keep looking.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Can I use a placeholder token for you until you find one, Mundane?

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Samael-1.png

Here we go, Farangu. Sorry about that. Not my favorite, but it'll do.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I noticed the character builder didn't add the Avenger powers Abjure Undead or Divine Guidance so I added them to my character sheet and updated it on Orokos

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have a feeling the Deva might be the only character mine gets along with, what with both being Arcane *and* speaking Draconic. We can even talk trash about the group with eachother behind their backs, and they will be none the wiser!

Edit: I said Dragonkin was a language. Gary Gygax is doing tumble checks in his grave.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I have a feeling the Deva might be the only character mine gets along with, what with both being Arcane *and* speaking Dragonkin. We can even talk trash about the group with eachother behind their backs, and they will be none the wiser!

Haha, sounds about right Pinfeldorf. This could be the beginning of a bee-yoo-tee-ful friendship. :mrgreen:

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ok, Im off to work, feel free to talk to Jordan and Ill get back to you all when I get off.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    FelixSomethingSomethingFelixSomethingSomething Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Veevee wrote: »
    I noticed the character builder didn't add the Avenger powers Abjure Undead or Divine Guidance so I added them to my character sheet and updated it on Orokos

Yeah, I had that problem with paladin channel divinity powers too. If you update the builder that'll fix it, they put out a quick bug fix patch.

FelixSomethingSomething on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Pssst. I don't think that the Pinfeldorf is actually sitting at the bar. If I understand the layout correctly, we have Deva, two Dwarves and Shaman sitting at the bar. Dragonborn is off in the corner stuffing his face with mutton.

Jack Hobbes on