As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ Reccomend on] Super Generic JRPGs! Also maybe portable?

HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Games and Technology
So I like what most people would call really lame and out dated JRPGs.

The kind where you start off at a little town which you then leave and in between each town or dungeoen is just random battles to grind and so you can level up to predetermined stats and abilities in the next area.

When you arrive at that new town you can you use all the gold you earned out there to upgrade your equipment cause it is so much better then anything you will ever see until the next town. Unless you found the one of 3 chests in the quest dungeon that got you the chain mail before the next town.

Your party each has its job in battle and will stick to that job. Healer, Warriors and Mages do what they were hired to do! They don't need to cross train.

And these games are so simplistic that they need to look flashy in order to keep your attention.

These are even better for on the go or to break out during lulls in the day! But something in the background to play is cool too as I own all the modern systems.

I traded in my DSlite for a DSiXL which I get tomorrow but don't have any JRPGs for the system other TWEWY but its not exactly what I would like.

Games I liked:
Final Fantasy 1 remake
Tales of Phantasia
Tales of Vesperia
Dragon Quest VIII
Lufia 2 (I think fits...first JRPG I played on SNES)
Brave Story on PSP
Super Mario RPG
Golden Sun 1

I have also tried to play the Pokemen and I own Diamond but I have no idea how you guys get into them. It is sooooooo slow even with its new coat. I like the idea of it though so if there is a fancier and quicker version then I'll be open to it.

steam_sig.png
HyperAquaBlast on

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If the speed of the Pokemon games bothers you, you could try going into the options menu and turning off battle animations/speeding up the text.

BugBoy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh I did. Which also makes it slightly faster but extremely more boring to watch then it already is.

Yeah I'll take a shit ton of repetitive battles just as long as they are neat to watch and the battle music is groovy.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The newer Pokemon games are a lot faster. Nintendo listened to that particular criticism.

Anyways: Get Dragon Quest V

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The remakes of Dragon Quest IV and V on the DS are what you're looking for.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    and FF IV.

Maybe the Etrian Odyssey games as well.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Crimson Gem Saga on the PSP is generic as hell. Turn-based battles too. It even looks pretty.

corky842 on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Izuna games could be what you are looking for, rogue-likes with a heart of gold and a set of C Cups.

Help your family, fight lots of monsters. Make lots of boob jokes. The second one is by far the best.

Knights in the Knightmare isn't really anything like any other JRPG out there. The artwork and music is amazing though, and you can wrap your head around the gameplay, it's really rewarding and fun.

Drake on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The World Ends with...oh wait, never mind.

jothki on
  • Options
    KitsurubamiKitsurubami Winnipeg, MBRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    jothki wrote: »

No, that's correct. Everyone should play that game.

And to the OP, if you like grind, you'll love Etrian Odyssey.

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Would you be willing to play different genres of old school games?

Retro Game Challenge has an old school JRPG, Gaudia Quest, but you have to play shooters, action, and racing games to get to it.

It is not pretty, but the whole game has a lot of charm to it.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    In addition to what people have said before I started typing.

Chrono Trigger DS
    Final Fantasy IV-VI Advance (unless the DSi doesn't play GBA games anymore, I don't know)
    Suikoden Tierkris
    Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (might run into similar problems as with Pokemon, but it's better than any stupid Popkemon game)
    Mario & Luigis: Superstar Saga, Partners in Time, Bowser's Inside Story (probably, haven't actually played that one yet)

That should do.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, no GBA slot on the DSi, or I would have had a slew of GBA recommendations.

edit:

No, that's correct. Everyone should play that game.

And to the OP, if you like grind, you'll love Etrian Odyssey.

If you go for this kind of dungeon crawling masochism then look into The Dark Spire as well. It's a fucking brutal homage to Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. It even has a feature to reproduce the look and feel of Wizardry.

Drake on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Breath of Fire games (I and II in particular) seem like they're up your alley. Of course, without a GBA-capable device, you'll need the SNES version, which is somewhat expensive.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    II is also on the Wii.

DSi doesn't play GBA games. GBA's library is a great source of all things old school RPG.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    II is also on the Wii.

Did not know that. Will have to look into it.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    II also has THE WORST TRANSLATION IN THE HISTORY OF RPGs. It is seriously bad. I sometimes dig at FF V's PSX release for being muddled, half complete, whatever, but it is a good one hundred times better then Capcom's terrible attempt to translate BoF II. Square published the first game in the US and the translation is dry but readable.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Glory of Heracles might be your thing.

It's a game I bought solely because Heracles is called, well, Heracles. None of that 'Hercules' crap. This is standard JRPG-ing in Greek Mythology. :P

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's not for the DS, but the game we're making fits the bill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDAj48iq4w8

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you want the most generic, outdated, "I swear I played this on the SNES" RPG, then you my friend are looking for Nostalgia on DS. It's 4 teenagers saving the world from an evil organization and the story never gets more complicated than that. The battle system is turn based and if you happen to go too far to the west on the world map before you're supposed to, you die because the enemies are too strong! Don't buy it used though, early copies have a chance of having bad code that cause a required story boss to not spawn his second form.

Gilder on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    II also has THE WORST TRANSLATION IN THE HISTORY OF RPGs. It is seriously bad. I sometimes dig at FF V's PSX release for being muddled, half complete, whatever, but it is a good one hundred times better then Capcom's terrible attempt to translate BoF II. Square published the first game in the US and the translation is dry but readable.

Really? Even worse than Lufia 2?

jothki on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well I looked into Dragon Quest and realized 9 is coming out in a couple of months so I'll just wait for that unless I find one of the others for cheap.

Crimson Gem Saga looks pretty nifty although its for the PSP but then again I haven't busted out that thing for months.

Nostalgia might be the ticket other then the polygons where as I am a big fan 2D artwork for these games.

I have a GBA SP which still had Tales of Phantasia still in it except now that I look around I can't find the charger. I bet I left it in a hotel a few years ago.

Thanks for the suggestions!

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Really? Even worse than Lufia 2?
    So, so, so, so much worse. Lufia 2's translation was perfectly understandable, a few strange "change god to Sinistral"s aside

The only other game that compares with Breath of Fire 2's translation is Wild ARMs 2.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No sweat on your GBA charger. DS chargers work just fine for them.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well I looked into Dragon Quest and realized 9 is coming out in a couple of months so I'll just wait for that unless I find one of the others for cheap.

Crimson Gem Saga looks pretty nifty although its for the PSP but then again I haven't busted out that thing for months.

Nostalgia might be the ticket other then the polygons where as I am a big fan 2D artwork for these games.

I have a GBA SP which still had Tales of Phantasia still in it except now that I look around I can't find the charger. I bet I left it in a hotel a few years ago.

Thanks for the suggestions!

2 bucks online.

If GBA is in the mix then add FF IV-VI advance, Lunar, both BoF games, Phantasy Star Collection, Golden Sun: The Lost Age, and a good dozen other games I've forgotten about. The system was a gold mine of old school RPGs.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lunar remake on PSP sounds right up your alley. Classic gameplay, cheesy voice acting and a charming story/characters.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Brave Story: New Traveler for PSP in the genericest of the RPGs, although it is still a lot of fun and has pretty much everything you want.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How about Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled?

Did anyone ever end up playing that?

Schide on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I heard black sigil was pretty much garbage.

Also from what I played of Nostalgia, I thought it was pretty bad. The battles were not very interesting, I hardly felt motivated to keep playing

I would recommend dragon quest 4 and 5 for the DS

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Friends don't let friends play Dark Spire.

There's old-school, and then there's chisel and stone ancient. That game is just unfairly minimalist.

You don't even gain levels, you earn points to improve your job classes and stats.

The core gameplay is fun, but the implementation is all kinds of evil.

I got it for $5, which was worth it. Any more than that, and you may as well pay for someone to beat you over the head with a shovel. It'll be less painful.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How about Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled?

Did anyone ever end up playing that?

I might be the only person on Earth. It's objectively terrible.

It looks like Chrono Trigger, but it doesn't act or talk like Chrono Trigger.

Y'know the battlemap in CT? You start in one location, but when you attack you fly across the screen to smite your foes. Rad.

In Black Sigil, all the sprites have collision, even your party members. You have to move around them to attack. It's... silly.

That being said, when I finally beat it it turned out that maybe 4 people total made the game. I might forgive them eventually.

For suggestions: Super Robot Taisen OG Endless Frontier... something something.

It's an Atlus DS game, which means the dialogue is priceless. The system is very grindy. The game is pure anime sprites with absurdly long attack chains.

It's a caricature of itself. Seems to fit the bill though: very JRPG.

Chomp-Chomp on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well so far Crimson Gem Saga is fitting the bill nicely. Got it used at gamestop for $20 while also getting Rune Factory for Wii for some unknown reason.

I forgot how good looking the PSP can be at times and this game really shines with the pretty.

Oh and I have a PSP-1000 white Asia version. Will that open up anything neat for it?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Question- Anyone tried that new Ragnarok game on the DS? Looks to be possibly what you are looking for

Arch on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you still have a PSP and liked the Tales series, I'd recommend the first 2 Star Ocean games.

Also, if you're willing to import from across the pond, I'd also recommend Breath of Fire III for the PSP.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd like to unrecommend Dark Spire for reasons stated, and unrecommend Nostalgia because it's not good.

I'm not very constructive. :(

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dark Spire is so very Wizardry 1-3. I love it, but it's too hard for me these days.

(I finished Wizardry 2 back when it was new)

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you want a fun Wizardry game, get the PS2 one; Tale of the Forsaken Land. It has a good combat system(group combat attacks that let you wipe out 13 enemies at once!), and a great story.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well picked up the DSi XL along with Dragon Quest 5 and Pokemon Silver along with some other games (Kirby Super Star, Starfy and Prof. Layton).

DQ5 is funny cause it has that old style where the sprite always have the walking animation even when they're standing still. I got my ass kicked in the first dungeon though. Which game series should I congratulate for inventing heal on level up?

Pokemon....man why isn't the kid equipped with running shoes from the get go? Walks like C-3PO. I got the game because a little kid at Best Buy said I should get it or I'd be a stupid if I didn't. It also came a prize too!

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pokemon....man why isn't the kid equipped with running shoes from the get go? Walks like C-3PO. I got the game because a little kid at Best Buy said I should get it or I'd be a stupid if I didn't. It also came a prize too!

The Pokewalker is awesome. Use it a ton

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well so far Crimson Gem Saga is fitting the bill nicely. Got it used at gamestop for $20 while also getting Rune Factory for Wii for some unknown reason.

I forgot how good looking the PSP can be at times and this game really shines with the pretty.

Oh and I have a PSP-1000 white Asia version. Will that open up anything neat for it?

An excellent choice. It's an RPG that happens to make fun of itself at times quite a bit.
    Also second on Black Sigil. One of my biggest wastes of money ever.

Edit: I picked up the Lunar remake for the PSP recently. BEAUTIFUL. And very, VERY JRPGish. But so fun for 30 minute hits at a time. Just a little slow loading, which can be worked around if you know how.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I thought Nostalgia was fun. It's basically Skies of Arcadia with a worse plot and more interesting gameplay. Not a must-play game (and let's be honest, neither was Skies of Arcadia), but it's a solid B+ RPG.

And Crimson Gem Saga was a lot of fun at first, but got more and more tedious the longer I played it.

RainbowDespair on