As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Typing

Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Do I need to know how to type? I took a typing class a while ago and got frustrated and just kept typing like I always do (mostly use my pointer fingers), I just grew up using keyboards so I guess I have my own broken style of typing. I can type at 75 WPM, but if I try to touch type it turns into more like 10-25. I just can't make my fingers do what they are suppose to, hitting things like X M , . ' ; P are nearly impossible and I end up mashing a bunch of keys.

I guess I just dont have very dexterous fingers, like I had trouble shuffling cards or doing any coin trick. Is it worth it to learn to touch type? It is very hard to break this habit of typing and I always fall back on it by accident, I don't even notice when I am practicing touch typing. Do people actually touch type in games, resting their hands on the home row?

Fizban140 on

• Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I touch type in games, and go so far as to base all my binds around the hand position (ESDF instead of WASD). You must use all your (left hand) fingers if you play games, so I wouldn't think you're incapable of touch typing. It would just take more conscious practice.

Are you able to type with your two index fingers without looking at the keyboard?

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You don't need to know how to type except if you get a clerical job where typing speed matters. (Once you get over the initial hump, touch-typing becomes much faster than any other way.)

My father's been hunting and pecking for thirty years. Hasn't done him any harm.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wouldn't worry about it. I tend to cross hands and do other things that are considered poor form when typing but can still transcribe around 60 wpm, and can write in bursts from 90-120wpm when writing spontaneously. Do what works for you so long as it doesn't cause you pain.

stigweard on
  • Options
    lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You could try learning the Dvorak layout instead of Qwerty. It may be a bit easier to learn, but it really has no advantage over Qwerty in the long run. This solution would only be useful if you were able to alter the language settings on the keyboard you type at, so work might be a bit tough if they lock you out.

However, from my personal experience as a terrible Qwerty touch typer, despite training in high school, I picked up Dvorak quickly. At the end of college I was able to type just as effectively as my Qwerty counterparts despite having less years of practice.

It may be a struggle at first, but I highly encourage you to learn to touch-type. Perhaps you need to invest in a more ergonomic keyboard to help the learning process?

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have very strange typing habits thanks to gaming. I touch type with my left hand since I'm used to having it on the keyboard, and I just 2 finger type with me right hand since I'm used to having it on the mouse. It's hard to break a habit like bad typing, so if it's not making your life harder, you probably don't need to bother.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Unless you're personally frustrated by your slow speed, get carpal tunnel a lot, or have a job that requires a minimum speed you're not reaching, I wouldn't worry about it. If it works for you, it works for you.

That being said, if you do want to learn to touch type I highly recommend Typing of the Dead.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The real question is if you instinctively know where keys are on the keyboard. I somehow evolved into proper typing after growing up on chat software/Everquest/WoW but I remember an era of hunt and peck and it's fine as long as you don't have to look down at your keyboard.

Having to look at your hands is gimping yourself =/

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Unless you're personally frustrated by your slow speed, get carpal tunnel a lot, or have a job that requires a minimum speed you're not reaching, I wouldn't worry about it. If it works for you, it works for you.

That being said, if you do want to learn to touch type I highly recommend Typing of the Dead.

This is good advice, especially the Typing of the Dead recommendation. I sucked at typing when I took word processing in high school but it was a good foundation. What got my speed and accuracy up was spending more time online.

If you're anything like me, you probably can't imagine typing in any other way than the one that you currently use. Changing up your system will be really frustrating.

Raekreu on
  • Options
    s_86s_86 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    -

s_86 on
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    http://www.popcap.com/games/free/typershark

If you can legitimately type 75WPM with a two finger technique, just stick with what you know, but I would be very much surprised if that was actually the case. Where are you getting that figure from? Is that from an actual typing program? What's your accuracy at that pace?

soxbox on
  • Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    pffft, learning to type is for losers!
    I type with my index fingers too and I dont really need to look at the keyboard.
    just keep doing your thing <3

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    soxbox wrote: »
    http://www.popcap.com/games/free/typershark

If you can legitimately type 75WPM with a two finger technique, just stick with what you know, but I would be very much surprised if that was actually the case. Where are you getting that figure from? Is that from an actual typing program? What's your accuracy at that pace?

I type with 4-6 fingers and hit 73WPM/97% accuracy on expert difficulty. :P So it's definitely possible.

admanb on
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    I type with 4-6 fingers and hit 73WPM/97% accuracy on expert difficulty. :P So it's definitely possible.

Oh, yeah I misread the OP - I thought you were two-fingering. If you're just 'not touch typing properly', if you're not trying to get a job taking dictation, don't sweat it.

If you want to get better, play typing games. If you can hit somewhere above 95% accuracy at above 60 words a minute, it's probably good enough.

soxbox on
  • Options
    HlubockyHlubocky Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am in the same boat. I grew up playing MUDs all summer long in middle school and so picked up an ability to type freakishly fast with two fingers. I wouldn't worry about it as long as it gets the job done.

Hlubocky on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    4 fingers on the left hand and i think like two or three fingers on the left hand
    and my left thumb for the space bar

it's all based on preference i guess
    i just realized i hit the enter key with my right pinky
    it's just a quirk from my own way of learning
    (typing a lot on the PA forums)

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you can hit 75 WPM, you're already doing better than a lot of other people. As long as you don't plan on taking up a clerical position, I wouldn't worry about it.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    SubetherSubether Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    4 fingers on the left hand and i think like two or three fingers on the left hand

Basically the same, I hover over the entire board, I don't have a home row really. I use 4 on my left and 2 on my right. My ring finger is only ever used to hit the Q though, so I barely count it.

Also: I just tested online. 75 WPM over a 3 minute period, 94% accurate.

Subether on
    Sig.jpg
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Subether wrote: »

Basically the same, I hover over the entire board, I don't have a home row really. I use 4 on my left and 2 on my right. My ring finger is only ever used to hit the Q though, so I barely count it.

Also: I just tested online. 75 WPM over a 3 minute period, 94% accurate.

oh, i kinda have a home row. not really.
    but i can hit a 120 wpm consistently.
    </brag>

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I type with two finger sometimes throwing the ring finger in technique. My home keys are WASD which usually is a joke but in my case the truth. I can just type faster starting from that position. I hit about 95 - 100 WPM using my two finger sometimes three technique. I can type without looking at the keys but its more habit than anything. I don't need to look my eyes just go down there out of habit.

If you can consistently type ~65WPM with good accuracy stick with what you know. If you're just leering over your board and pecking with your index fingers you should probably learn to properly touch type.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This phenomenon is common in the post-typewriter age where are many purposes to typing beyond the typing itself. Most people are going to learn to type long before they take any computer class in school.

admanb on