Options

Wii and Gamecube progressive scan

MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
I read this comment in a Joystiq article linked in the "Save 100 Dollars off a PS3" topic:
Wii does not run Gamecube games at 480p. When you put a gamecube game in a Wii, the Wii turns into a gamecube. If the game can do 480p it will, if it can't it won't. But this time, you don't have to hold Z and B durring start up to enable it to go to pro-scan.

Basically this comment infers that you don't have to hold a button to enable progressive scan in support Gamecube games. This seems fishy to me, because not only did the author of this comment get the buttons wrong (it's usually just B) but he failed to address the games that just prompt you without holding a button.

For those of you that own Wii component cables and have played Gamecube games in 480p, can you give me the details on how it works? Do you still have to hold a button at boot up for the games that require it? Does the progressive scan prompt ever occur? Or do the games just work now without any interaction from the user (which I guess could be possible considering how Gamecube's component cables worked)?

All insight on this matter is appreciated, so feel free to relay your experiences. I'd also like to hear how Gamecube games look in 480p on the Wii compared to 480p on their native system.

e3ORbfq.png
Mugenmidget on

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    He's right.

It's B, and you don't need to push it if you have your wii set to 480p, all GC games with progressive scan auto bring up the "Enable Prog. scan Y N" screen ons tart, without holding a button.

Very nice.

ESPECIALLY FOR YOU FIRE EMBLEM YOU BASTARD

edit: And no it doesn't run GC games that couldn't do Prog scan in prog scan, because it ceases to be a wii when you play a GC game.

It's just a GC once you start a gc game.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've only played RE4 on my Wii, but it does bring up the Y/N option without you having to press anything.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SirToons wrote:

I don't get it.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I wonder if the lack of a button press applies to all Gamecube progressive scan games, since I know there were several that would bring up the prompt anyways (and I believe Resident Evil 4 was one of them).

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hamurabi wrote:
    SirToons wrote:

I don't get it.
    I still can't get down the pushing/holding B at the right time in the fire emblem menu.

I'm pretty sure you can just hold it down the entire time.

But I'm impatient and it's a 10 second long menu so I always end up pushing the button a few times.... effectively getting the menu and declining it in one swift motion!

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I wonder if the lack of a button press applies to all Gamecube progressive scan games, since I know there were several that would bring up the prompt anyways (and I believe Resident Evil 4 was one of them).
    It does it for Ikaruga and Fire Emblem, both required you to do some pushing/holding B voodoo.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    SirToons wrote:
    It does it for Ikaruga and Fire Emblem, both required you to do some pushing/holding B voodoo.
    Sounds like it's especially hard for Fire Emblem. I was never aware of that.

But thanks a bunch for the information, while holding a button is certainly no big deal (in every case but Fire Emblem I guess), it's one less inconvenience to have to deal with.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    SirToons wrote:
    Sounds like it's especially hard for Fire Emblem. I was never aware of that.

But thanks a bunch for the information, while holding a button is certainly no big deal (in every case but Fire Emblem I guess), it's one less inconvenience to have to deal with.
    It's probably just me.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Man, it wasn't rocket science or anything. Hold the B button. Turn on the system. If it was a compatible game, you got the Y/N prompt. After that, you didn't have to hold it anymore, it always came up with the prompt. I think you had to do it again if you put in a non-compatible game. And I know you had to hold if you picked No.

The PS2's way was 10x more retarded. They made you hold triangle and X on most games. Clarification: They made you hold 2 analog buttons when you turned the system on. Fucking up the center calibration. Sure your game looks pretty, but now you're wondering if your controller is busted because the X button isn't working.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    what? I always had a menu option for enabling progressive mode in PS2 games ???

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    what? I always had a menu option for enabling progressive mode in PS2 games ???
    Some do. I know Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile do that inane button holding though. And I think one other Square game.

In fact... I think it just may be Square-Enix who does it. Still doesn't explain the stupidity of it though.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    have i just been missing out on prog scan in a bunch of games?

every game i thought I put in the GC had a prompt asking if I want to enable it....

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So, does this mean in the UK we're basically not going to see any GC prog scan games then?

Rook on
  • Options
    ChaosDentChaosDent Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:
    have i just been missing out on prog scan in a bunch of games?

every game i thought I put in the GC had a prompt asking if I want to enable it....

No, the promt does exactly what it says it does. Once you have enabled the prompt, you will get it until you hook up your cube without the digital out port. The original comment on joystiq was misinfirmed.

ChaosDent on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    no im talking about playing on the GC itself

ive never held any buttons down because I always get a dialog asking me if i want to enable it or not when i boot up a game

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:

ive never held any buttons down because I always get a dialog asking me if i want to enable it or not when i boot up a game

Maybe some of the older games you have to hold B. Check the back of the packaging of your games. They should all say whether or not they are progressive scan capable.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ChaosDentChaosDent Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:

Maybe some of the older games you have to hold B. Check the back of the packaging of your games. They should all say whether or not they are progressive scan capable.

Every progressive game on my Gamecube going back as far as Pikmin automatically prompts me for progressive out. Once you enable the prompt (by holding B for one progressive game) a setting is saved in the GC firmware. This setting gets cleared out only if you hook your GC up analog only.

ChaosDent on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    hmmm

all of my games (except killer 7 and skies of arcadia apparently) are prog scan

ill just have to check to make sure there is a dialog coming up for every game but those 2

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm in the same boat as many here, I never understood the "holding B" shenanigans as my Cube always just asked whenever I put any Progressive Scan title in.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    Bebop7Bebop7 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Geez, there are not a lot of progressive scan PS2 games (link to Wikipedia list).

It was an awful decision not to include progressive scan support in FFXII.

Bebop7 on
    DesolationJones.png
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited January 2007
    apotheos wrote:
    I'm in the same boat as many here, I never understood the "holding B" shenanigans as my Cube always just asked whenever I put any Progressive Scan title in.
    Mine as well.

My GC was a launch GC, so perhaps that has something to do with it?

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    Eggplant WizardEggplant Wizard Little Rock, ARRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    For me, I had to hold down B only once, the first time I booted up Super Mario Sunshine with the component cable attached. Subsequently, every game which supports progressive scan has prompted me to enable it without me having to push any buttons.

Eggplant Wizard on
    Hello
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2007
    Bebop7 wrote:
    Geez, there are not a lot of progressive scan PS2 games (link to Wikipedia list).

PS2 probably couldn't muster up the fill rate to run in progressive scan for that game.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    For me, I had to hold down B only once, the first time I booted up Super Mario Sunshine with the component cable attached. Subsequently, every game which supports progressive scan has prompted me to enable it without me having to push any buttons.
    O_o

holy crap.

sunshine is...progrssive....i am buying that today. (i played the first few levels and loved it. but my gamecube is in minnesota.)

Sul on
    Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just as a side note, I never personally owned a GCN.

But when I got my Wii, I plugged in and set it up with component cables in 480p on an HDTV. Later, I put in Metroid Prime for the first time. As soon as I did that, it asked me up front if I wanted to run it in Progressive Scan, without having to hold any buttons or do anything. Of course, I said Yes, and it worked beautifully. Haven't tried any other GCN games, though.

slash000 on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ChaosDent wrote:
    Deusfaux wrote:

Every progressive game on my Gamecube going back as far as Pikmin automatically prompts me for progressive out. Once you enable the prompt (by holding B for one progressive game) a setting is saved in the GC firmware. This setting gets cleared out only if you hook your GC up analog only.
    Ding ding ding! My head was about to ass-plode after reading all the misinformation in this thread before you set them straight. :^: Also, for future reference, the prompt normally will auto-select what you last selected if you press nothing for several seconds and then "state" which mode was selected.
    ...All insight on this matter is appreciated, so feel free to relay your experiences. I'd also like to hear how Gamecube games look in 480p on the Wii compared to 480p on their native system.

I will say this, the Wind Waker problem I had is non-existant on my Wii. <3

CZroe on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    CZroe wrote:
    ChaosDent wrote:
    Deusfaux wrote:

Ding ding ding! My head was about to ass-plode after reading all the misinformation in this thread before you set them straight. :^: Also, for future reference, the prompt normally will auto-select what you last selected if you press nothing for several seconds and then "state" which mode was selected.
    ...All insight on this matter is appreciated, so feel free to relay your experiences. I'd also like to hear how Gamecube games look in 480p on the Wii compared to 480p on their native system.

I will say this, the Wind Waker problem I had is non-existant on my Wii. <3

wonder why it was doing that. WW looked bootiful on my GCN with ps.
    that game is so pretty!

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Bebop7 wrote:

PS2 probably couldn't muster up the fill rate to run in progressive scan for that game.

No.. it still renders a 640x480 framebuffer, and the output DAC is a seperate component that's not affected by fill-rate. Why it doesn't support it is a puzzle to me (except that testing it in 480p and 480i would take a fucking long time).

The whole "render at 640x240 shifting 1/2 pixel each frame" was only used in 1st generation games that could maintain a rock-solid 60fps (because that simply doesn't work at 30fps).

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mausmalone wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Bebop7 wrote:

No.. it still renders a 640x480 framebuffer, and the output DAC is a seperate component that's not affected by fill-rate. Why it doesn't support it is a puzzle to me (except that testing it in 480p and 480i would take a fucking long time).

The whole "render at 640x240 shifting 1/2 pixel each frame" was only used in 1st generation games that could maintain a rock-solid 60fps (because that simply doesn't work at 30fps).

what about wide screen? I'd imagine thats pretty much whats eating up the resources for ps.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2007
    mausmalone wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Bebop7 wrote:

Ah, I did not know that.

The choice of progressive scan games is pretty bizarre, though. I mean, Guitar Hero? The game where you pretty much never stare at anything except for the little colored bumps scrolling down the screen? Yeah, progressive scan is so very important to that game. Okami, the most beautiful game out on the PS2? Eh, no progressive scan there.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:

I know for a couple of games they actually don't list progressive scan as a feature on the back, even though the game is capable of it. I found this out because I was on some HD aficionado website that had listed all the GCN games with progressive scan, and some titles showed up that I had no clue about before.

Of course, the bad thing about an unofficial list is that there were also a lot of false additions. However, it's worth checking out games that don't list it as a feature because you might be pleasantly surprised.

Here's the first list I found on Google, I have no idea how complete it is. If anyone has a better list, please supply it so everyone can benefit from it:

http://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attributeId,275/p,14/

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    Eggplant WizardEggplant Wizard Little Rock, ARRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sul wrote:
    O_o

holy crap.

sunshine is...progrssive....i am buying that today. (i played the first few levels and loved it. but my gamecube is in minnesota.)

Yep, the game really benefits from it. I don't know about the progressive scan specifically, but the vibrant colors really pop with component on a good display. Especially that level with the cliff overlooking the ocean. It's beautiful.

At the time, I didn't have a decent TV. So, I bought three sets of component cables for the Gamecube. One as a gift for a friend, one for future use, and one to mod into a VGA cable. Most of my early Gamecube games were played on my PC monitor via the VGA cable, and they looked awesome.

Eggplant Wizard on
    Hello
  • Options
    AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just a note: Every Nintendo Published/Developed game is Prog Scan enabled.

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Play Mario Kart Double Dash interlaced and then play it in progressive and try and tell me the game doesn't play better in progressive.

Caswynben on