As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[d20 Future] Removed | Not enough Interest. :)

UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Critical Failures
If you can hear me... Run. I don't care what side you were on before this... Just run. Run far and tell the verse. Tell the whole damned verse that we are not alone... May god help us.
The smell of yeast and ozone clung to the night as he wandered in the cold dark of the desolate planet. His breath played out on the stale air, seeming to linger just a moment too long. His panting became more frantic at the sounds behind him.
The sound of the A.T.V. in pursuit made his nerves clench as he desperately scurried farther and farther into the dark, cold, planet night. He stumbled over rock and vegetation alike, trying for his life to stay unseen. If he could only get away...

-

The sound of the revolver cocking behind him froze him in his tracks.
"Now ye've done it boy." The grizzled voice echoed from behind him. The sound of crunching gravel registers as the large man walks forward.
"Turn around, nice and slow like..." The large man barks, motioning with his revolver.
With a deep sigh, Mason turned slowly to face the huge pirate, wincing as he held up his hands in surrender.
The pirate, grinning with his victory, reaches for his radio…

-

Only to hear it register with the paniced trill of one of his men. "Boss?! BOSS?! Oh man, come in big daddy. Come in."
On the other end of the line, as both Mason and the pirate stare at the radio in disbelief, comes a gut wrenching scream. The sound of the gunfire on the air is repeated on the open radio.
"Nooooo! Noo!"
The last thing that is heard from the other end of the radio sends chills down the men's spines and steals the color from their faces.

-

The sound could not be from any natural creature. That seemed to register in the dark reaches of both men's minds. It was a sound that seemed crafted specifically to incite fear, and it did so impecably. The reverberations of that keening wail echoed across the distance to their current location. It moved after them as if it knew they were out there, somewhere in the dark.
Mason wanted nothing more than to be off that wretched planet as he watched the large pirate stare at the distant settlement.

-

The big man could hear the gunfire... and the screams... and that oh so terrible sound. He stood there staring at the distant settlement in disbelief.
His radio registered again and a voice, clear and resolute piped up.

-

Mason knew the voice. He shook his head as he choked back something stuck between sob and chuckle.
"If you can hear me... Run. I dont care what side you were on before this... Just run. Run far and tell the verse. Tell the whole damned verse that we are not alone.... May god help us."
The radio goes blank. In the distance a single gunshot registers, the caliber is of a certain personal sidearm. It's not one often heard this far out from the core.

-

Mason nearly chokes as Jonas ends the radio connection. He knows the fate of his friend as the single shot rings defiantly on the air...

[d20 Future]The Rim will never be the same.

Progress Level: 6
Starting Level: 4
Character Sheets and Rolls: Rolls on Invisible Castle. Characters wherever.
Starting Wealth:
Assume you roll 5 for your starting wealth, with a +1 Bonus for each level above 1 (3), so 8 plus other pertinent Bonuses you have. If you're buying something and need to roll a d6 to decrease wealth, assume you roll a 4 (8 for 2d6). And please, no cheap tricks when doing purchases (if you know what I'm talking about, I'm talking about it to YOU).
Starting Equip: You will be traveling on a military vessel. Things like regular Ammo, some standardized weapons, survival supplies, standard equipment, and professional equipment like Mechanical Kits, Surgical Kits, etc are all covered. Anything else, Ask.

Setting: We are going to call this setting "The Rim" Its a homebrew setting adopted and added to.
It is the year 570 AP (570 years since the settlement of Persei Prime by a crashed colony ship sent from Old Earth) in the Alpha Persei System, a Planetary System of 187 Natural Atmosphere-Capable Celestial Bodies, 113 currently with (theoretically) life-sustaining atmospheres, 108 (more or less) colonized, 21 currently being terraformed to be habitable. You're all alone out here, your ancestor's colony ship sucked some 590 Light Years off course from Old Earth via a Warp Hole and depositing your branch of humanity on this remote and untamed piece of space, mostly cut off from communication with home and completely cut off from resupply or rescue.
It's been two years since the last contact with the planet Arryn and the Needle. The accepted story in the core for anyone who even knew about the backwater planet is that the terraforming just never took. GAPPS officials deny any claims of agents sent to the planet strikingly close to when the communications stopped. Mason and the crew of the Needle are unaccounted for.

Characters: You are one of the multitudes of souls inhabiting the Rim. A place filled with danger and intrigue. Despite the intrigue and adventure, most places always seem to take on that dull gray pallor. That haze that settles on all civilized worlds seems to follow and hound you. Some, all, or none of you are official members of the Government Auxiliary Planetary Police Squad(GAPPS), known throughout the colonized Planets as 'Fixers'. Fixers are the eyes, ears, and fists of the Central Government, dealing with interplanetary issues, assisting with new colonizations and any unfriendly local lifeforms, gathering information, keeping peace, and generally making sure the Alpha Persei System doesn't blow itself up. Fixers are largely autonomous, sent off on long term individual assignments or left to their own personal discretion to keep the peace. Those Fixers who are given their own ships will often hire other Independent Contractors with useful skills to assist them on their various missions. These Contractors can have long-term agreements or one-off jobs, as the situation requires. If no one wants to play an official Fixer, I can have an NPC fill the role and therefore limit your access to knowledge and equipment and screw with you greatly.

Whatever your background, life in the rim these last couple years has been proving more and more unfulfilling, thus driving more and more of you out to the clutches of whatever open space will bring you.

Dangers:
Pirates, Criminals, Rebels, Thugs, Gangsters, Native Fauna (and occasionally Flora), Asteroids, Radiation, Robots, Corruption, Strangers, Lead Paint, etc. If it's out there, it can kill you.
The playstyle is going to be [Space Opera meets Survival Horror] in this particular story.

PCs: No Psychics, Magic, Aliens, or Robots. There are no real demihumans in this setting either. Various subraces of humans from various types of terraformed worlds exist, but the differences between them are minimal. All archetypes are welcome and encouraged. Backstory is whatever you want to make it, be it one paragraph of basic information or a book full of detailed events and accounts. I am more concerned on people portraying an identity. If a long detailed back story does that for you, then by all means - I will read it an love it. The minimum requirement is that you post something with your character doing something, in some way that portrays who she is. Submissions will be limited to two(2) per person.

Stats and HP: 28 point buy, Max HP at each level. Also, Skillpoints are retroactive. calculate according to the end values of your stats etc.

Universe Specifics: This setting(The Rim) is a work in progress. The setting was originally envisioned by Susan for use in the previous game [d20 Future] Take a Trip to the Rim.... I'd like to see this setting mature and form through the efforts of everyone playing and interacting with it. As susan so eloquently put it in her last game...
If you work it into your backstory, I reserve the right to make it cannon and twist it to my desires and whims.
I encourage everyone to take part in building and developing this setting. The more we put in, the more it will give back.

Submission Deadline and Disclaimers: Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 11:59 PM MST(GMT -7)
Game will start sometime after that.
Priority will be given first to individuals who were part of the last game, then to everyone else based on characters. There is no requirement on how many games you may or may not be part of on these forums right now. I will say this: if you think that you cannot split your focus between this and other pbp games you may or may not be part of right now, you need not apply.

There will be no post requirement unless it comes to my attention that one needs to be instated down the line.

I like to think that we will be working on writing some amazing fiction together, and as such will always keep an eye towards theatrics and story over mechanics.

There will be a few house rules that will be discussed as the game starts, particularly relating to healing and HP. (If you are thinking of a medic character, this will be good news for you, I promise.)

Thanks guys!

Unsalted on

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    OK, so....My old character is dead, right? He got his face eaten I assume, by something horrible.

And we (the old players) need to submit new characters? Alright. I'll come up with a new concept then.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Clarification Denied

But yes, you have to make new mans.

Unsalted on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    EDIT: Stats on invisible castle (still using 28 point buy?) didn't seem right. Normally I'm not too good at optimizing but the idea came to me that buying 16 intelligence from 15 cost two points, while increasing at level 4 cost 1. Hurray!

EDIT AGAIN: Foiled (By myself)!
    "When an ability score changes, all attributes associated with that score change accordingly. A character does not retroactively get additional skill points for previous levels if she increases her intelligence."

I'm normally not such a rules-y person I swear. D20 Modern is just demanding.

Thinking of someone like Genly Ai from the Left Hand of Darkness. Embassador/researcher type of thing.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ren Aily

I will update with a background later. So far he's useless in combat but is quite skillful. I was thinking he works for GAPPS as an investigator/diplomat. Think Willem Dafoe in Boondock Saints mixed with Ian Holm from Alien.

EDIT: Also, I think he's wealthy because he used to work for a tech firm and did something pretty big in the tech world.

Uh... yeah.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sounds fun! cant wait to see more. :)

I also fixed the OP with the stats and HP.

Unsalted on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    EDIT: Stats on invisible castle (still using 28 point buy?) didn't seem right. Normally I'm not too good at optimizing but the idea came to me that buying 16 intelligence from 15 cost two points, while increasing at level 4 cost 1. Hurray!

EDIT AGAIN: Foiled (By myself)!
    "When an ability score changes, all attributes associated with that score change accordingly. A character does not retroactively get additional skill points for previous levels if she increases her intelligence."

I'm normally not such a rules-y person I swear. D20 Modern is just demanding.

Thinking of someone like Genly Ai from the Left Hand of Darkness. Embassador/researcher type of thing.

Skill points are retroactive. It is written.

Unsalted on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Shameless bump

Unsalted on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    This is still a thing. Just saying. :)

Unsalted on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm still deciding on a character concept. I don't want to just repeat the Mason character again, but am having trouble coming up with something.

Right now I'm waffling between 3 concepts: a tank with a machine gun and heavy armor, a tough-as-nails reporter type, or a cat-burglar/infiltrator/spy type. And I might change my mind next week. I just don't know.

I'll definitely post something after the long weekend.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So this is no longer a thing. Maybe we'll try again later.

Have fun!

Unsalted on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    :(

Thats too bad, Unsalted. There's always later.

Steelhawk on