As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Street Fighter (IV/HDR): Fourteen days left! That's less than...336 hours!

• Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Good games Ohvermie, too! Do you remember what I taunted for? I think I was Chun Li. I usually only taunt when something neat happens so I'm pretty sure something neat happened but I can't remember what it was and it is killing me : (
    Not too sure. I don't even remember it. So maybe it was the other set you played. But yeah good games, I really need to stop just messing around with a pad. Charge characters + pad = thumb soreness. But for some reason my Sagat is almost passable when I play on pad, but is absolute dog shit if I am on the stick.

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »
    Poor Blanka... now proud owner of two bland looking ultras.

You take that back!

Er, wait...

chamberlain on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Antihippy wrote: »
    [vidurl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfUZAACkZ78[/vidurl]

Well well well well Well!

Did they actually cancel U2 from st HP or is it a link? The recovery on HP looked way too fast. o_O

video description:
    You have to cancel the FP into teleport and immediately cancel the teleport into ultra.

HP, DP+3P, U, U+3K

I wonder if you can input this as

HP 232kkk2kkk. If so, probably not that hard?

Pretty sure that won't work cause his ultra requires 2 up inputs not down. Nice that he has a hit confirmable ultra (time to start practicing that cr.lp cl.hp link -_-)... shame it looks retarded :[

aBlank on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    aBlank wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Antihippy wrote: »
    [vidurl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfUZAACkZ78[/vidurl]

Well well well well Well!

Did they actually cancel U2 from st HP or is it a link? The recovery on HP looked way too fast. o_O

video description:
    You have to cancel the FP into teleport and immediately cancel the teleport into ultra.

HP, DP+3P, U, U+3K

I wonder if you can input this as

HP 232kkk2kkk. If so, probably not that hard?

Pretty sure that won't work cause his ultra requires 2 up inputs not down. Nice that he has a hit confirmable ultra (time to start practicing that cr.lp cl.hp link -_-)... shame it looks retarded :[

Oh it is up. I got confused between his and Hakan's ultra 2.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Picked up off Pixiv:
    cofa.jpg

Thats actually pretty awesome.

Which reminds me, i haven't checked there in a while

Hakan looks a little bit like the king of all cosmos in that picture.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Son of a bitch. Splinter Cell was going to be what took my mind off the wait for Super, but then I found out there's no deathmatch multiplayer. Splinter Cell deathmatch is so awesome.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Son of a bitch. Splinter Cell was going to be what took my mind off the wait for Super, but then I found out there's no deathmatch multiplayer. Splinter Cell deathmatch is so awesome.

Versus... <3 I share your disappointment in its demise. Played Chaos Theory for ages.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think I am actually gonna resist buying splinter cell for once, I haven't finished one since 2 and almost none of my friends buy them.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nick TNick T Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Well I can do Co-Op with you if you're in need of someone.

Nick T on
    PSN: ConvicNic
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Co-Op is shit compared to the glory that was Spy vs Merc. Mmmmm....silent take downs from behind on those pesky Mercs and bitch slapping those over aggressive "aggro" spies.

Fuck the new Splinter Cell.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ken stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRVuUxloUms

This makes Ken's U2 likely as a 7 frame startup (or less, probably 7 frames though) assuming they don't change the frame data of his standing far jab. Sweep is also 7 frames or less (currently 8) assuming the same thing.

aBlank on
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ken stuff:

This makes Ken's U2 likely as a 7 frame startup (or less, probably 7 frames though) assuming they don't change the frame data of his standing far jab. Sweep is also 7 frames or less (currently 8) assuming the same thing.
    The sheer power of his new alternate costume made me shit my pants during this video.

Walt on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i like how they pitted cowboy ken against particularly native-looking t. hawk.

street fighter: always giving you fresh new avenues for creative racism.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    DaSniper91DaSniper91 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My stick came today!:mrgreen:

Oh god I'm so rusty.. the fightpad has made me weak.

DaSniper91 on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ken stuff:

When the Village People meet the UFC.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Co-Op is shit compared to the glory that was Spy vs Merc. Mmmmm....silent take downs from behind on those pesky Mercs and bitch slapping those over aggressive "aggro" spies.

Fuck the new Splinter Cell.

The singleplayer (this is serious) for the new Splinter Cell is only estimated to being five hours long. I'm not lying or exaggerating. It's an actual figure. The game relies on high replayability, a large co-op, and terrorist hunt for content, but the singleplayer is incredibly short.

Alas, we will only have HDR and SSF4 youtube videos to hold us over.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i like how they pitted cowboy ken against particularly native-looking t. hawk.

street fighter: always giving you fresh new avenues for creative racism.

They should have given Vega a conquistador outfit for fights with Fuerte i guess.

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M7U0YDZbjM

Okay, can someone explain to me what exactly is going on with the grip in this video? Does everyone put their finger over the top like that? Does anyone happen to know what he's doing with his ring and pinky fingers?

Also, just as a bonus question, does anyone know what gate he uses?

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pretty much every top tier player uses a square gate as it's the arcade standard. Don't know of anybody that uses anything else, actually.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Aha. Is it also typical to mash the hell out of the button when doing a special move link?

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For pros yeah. Its called double tapping. I never really got the hang of it or really tried to learn it. Im a plinker to the core for links.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    i hold the stick almost exactly like that

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Mind explaining what is going on with the ring and pinky finger? Also the thumb position is odd. He brings it up onto the ball when he is moving right. I have ridiculous trouble with hcf/hcb motions, as well as qcf from P1 side.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    StokedUp wrote: »
    For pros yeah. Its called double tapping. I never really got the hang of it or really tried to learn it. Im a plinker to the core for links.

That's not what he's talking about (I think). It's during Justin's final combo (f+mk, cr.jab cr.jab cr.strong XX ducking upper XX super)... you can see him multi-tap during the ducking upper and during the super.

For the ducking upper, the first half circle + k starts his "dash" the second K gives you the upper (P gives you something else). He likely mashed so he'd get the upper out as soon as possible. He "mashed" P just to get the super out.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    FightTest wrote: »
    Pretty much every top tier player uses a square gate as it's the arcade standard. Don't know of anybody that uses anything else, actually.

<
    Octogate user.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

That's not what he's talking about (I think). It's during Justin's final combo (f+mk, cr.jab cr.jab cr.strong XX ducking upper XX super)... you can see him multi-tap during the ducking upper and during the super.

For the ducking upper, the first half circle + k starts his "dash" the second K gives you the upper (P gives you something else). He likely mashed so he'd get the upper out as soon as possible. He "mashed" P just to get the super out.

Aha. He also does the QCF motion for the super like.. a hundred times over. I assume that's just a buffer thing, as he's got the space to do it?

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also, just as a bonus question, does anyone know what gate he uses?

In that video, and presumably when Justin uses a TE in general, a square gate the JLF in the TE comes with barring he has modded his personal stick. I'm guessing that's what you wanted to know, so stop here for the TL;DR version.

When playing Third Strike I have no clue what he uses. I've seen people reference 3S machines having a Seimitsu a few times, especially when SBO comes around, as the shorter throw makes parrying easier. I've never seen what he uses when playing it on PS2 at tournaments, but I'd wager square gate if it's a Sanwa or Seimitsu, Octo or Round if it's Happ/iL. If he has a MAS made stick for PS2 I'd go with octo or round.

When he plays MvC2 on Dreamcast I'm almost 100% sure he uses a MAS stick, Happ buttons with a Perfect 360 (old production line rather than new more than likely). P360's have a round gate and are activated with an optic rather than whatever a normal stick uses. Most people who play MvC2 seriously tend to say that the older P360s are the way to go for that game. The new P360s can range from working like the old ones (rarely apparently) to basically working like you put your dick in your joystick and expected Storm to do something for you (read: not at all).

Most people playing SF today are going to be using a Sanwa with a square gate, regardless of skill level thanks to the TE. Only people that have been playing as long as say Valle and Choi, overall, still use a Happ/iL stick with an octo or round gate. The square is technically better, I think Slagcoin's website shows the activation percentage based on gate used, but like anything else personal preference factors in what you use a lot.

Then you have the game basis. If true, then 3S uses a Seimitsu, like shooters, when most other SF's use a Sanwa. A lot of Tekken players like to use Korean sticks, they make wave dashing easier if I recall the reason correctly. Likewise pad isn't a stigma in Tekken, a lot of people compete on it, compared to only a few legit competitors in SF that use pad in tourney play. Then there's SC4 where you use a pad to spam BS with Hilde turning a fun game into stupid nonsense.

Take it with a grain of salt, I might be recalling some things wrong, but I think most of that is reasonably accurate, and if so, probably doubly pointless.

Edit: Did he piano by any chance in the video? He might just be mashing wishing he was playing MvC2, and practicing for MvC3's money match with DarkPrince.

Column on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    FightTest wrote: »

<
    Octogate user.

weirdo.

Personally, I find a square gate to be much more useful. You shouldn't have trouble hitting the primary directions, because they will activate the microswitch first, so the U/D/L/R notches are unnecessary.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Aha. He also does the QCF motion for the super like.. a hundred times over. I assume that's just a buffer thing, as he's got the space to do it?

It's a mash thing to make sure it comes out. When timing isn't really an issue (IE, most fireball motion super cancels) people just tend to mash the motion + the P/K button so they know for sure it'll come out. If you happen to "fuck up" the motion once, surely one of those motions will registered correctly before the window is closed.

(EDIT) you can also do this with charge motions but it's not as easy to "mash". As long as you have charge though, you can go f + b + f + b + f + b like crazy and still pull off a super/ultra. Buffer is pretty lenient... this also allows for dash ultraing too.

Just like when people random ultra against someone, and they want to counter ultra. They start doing mad QCF's during the ultra freeze and start mashing 3P/3K the second the ultra freeze is over.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Chaos that's like bizarro world weird, you main a charge character and use an octogate??? It's almost like handicapping yourself imo.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I really just can't do half circles reliably. QCF from the P1 side is just as miserable, which means that the ultras and supers are also impossible. I don't know how to fix this within the realm of my current play, as I'm pretty sure that my stick hold is just off. This is especially bad as I am really looking forward to Dudley in Super.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I really just can't do half circles reliably. QCF from the P1 side is just as miserable, which means that the ultras and supers are also impossible. I don't know how to fix this within the realm of my current play, as I'm pretty sure that my stick hold is just off. This is especially bad as I am really looking forward to Dudley in Super.

If the stick and gate feel fine you could always try using a bat top rather than the gumball. That adds enough height/familiarity for some people that things just click. If it doesn't you're only out ~$5 from lizard lick if I remember the prices right for the top and connector piece.

Column on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Chaos that's like bizarro world weird, you main a charge character and use an octogate??? It's almost like handicapping yourself imo.

The only thing I regret about the octogate is that it's slightly harder to do Chun's ex sbk into ultra because you can't ride the gate (IRONY ALERT) like you can on a square gate. That's not even a huge loss, since her ex sbk into ultra is rarely practical or of use to me. It's much easier to do everything else, like find down for headstomp combos, find forward and back for dash ultraing, etc etc. With square gates I jump a lot more than I intend to since the stick might move slightly up while pressing forward, which is a jump, which is a quick trip to painland. All of my shit is more precise on octo, and I have no problems with finding down back at all. I also much prefer the octo when I want to dabble with Ken or any other motion character.

Octogates are for awesome people.

@Column: Having bought and tried the bat top for shits and giggles, I think it adds almost nothing. I could play with either just fine, there's no adjustment or anything. The bat top might be a little easier to grip, but I don't think it's something that's going to drastically change your gameplay, like a gate might (and even then for the most part, I can do most things with either gate fairly easily. An octogate costs 5 and is waaay more likely to help Kinderparty.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I am of the opinion going from balltop to battop and back and forth is simple, BUT going from a battop to a balltop can be pretty difficult if you aren't comfortable with balltops. It effects grip quite a bit if your comfortable grip was developed on a battop.

E: Kinder try smaller motions for the circular stuff, don't go all the way to the gate, stick close as you can get to neutral and still activate the directions for the stick.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Mind explaining what is going on with the ring and pinky finger? Also the thumb position is odd. He brings it up onto the ball when he is moving right. I have ridiculous trouble with hcf/hcb motions, as well as qcf from P1 side.

i'm not sure what your confusion is, actually.

the ring and the pinky finger are resting on the surface of the controller, and only the index and middle fingers are on the ball of the stick. the thumb is on the ball all the time because you want to be able to move left at a moment's notice, and you don't want to have to wait until your thumb returns to be in contact

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

i'm not sure what your confusion is, actually.

the ring and the pinky finger are resting on the surface of the controller, and only the index and middle fingers are on the ball of the stick. the thumb is on the ball all the time because you want to be able to move left at a moment's notice, and you don't want to have to wait until your thumb returns to be in contact

There's a lot of blowjob jokes just waiting to be made here.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    @Column: Having bought and tried the bat top for shits and giggles, I think it adds almost nothing. I could play with either just fine, there's no adjustment or anything. The bat top might be a little easier to grip, but I don't think it's something that's going to drastically change your gameplay, like a gate might (and even then for the most part, I can do most things with either gate fairly easily. An octogate costs 5 and is waaay more likely to help Kinderparty.

Oh I know it's relative, and far from the game changer a gate would be, but it's a start depending on where the issue is.

I have trouble using the gumball top strictly because of what you said, grip. My hands are too big to find a comfortable way to hold the gumball, but with Happ/iL grip is fine. Execution then suffers because the stick feels off compared a seimitsu or sanwa two or so times I've been able to try one. I've debated getting a bat top to try for that reason, even knowing the height won't be quite as high as Happ/iL. Figured I'd throw it out there just in case, not knowing where his issue was.

That said, as someone who has used the bat top, how much height do you think it adds? I know you said it didn't take any learning on, but was there a genuine height difference? Or did it just feel like the gumball now had an awkward but useful shape?

Column on
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wish there was some sort of square<->octo quick-change mechanism since I main charge characters but like to screw around with QCF characters. A 2nd stick would be an expensive alternative, but even then my friends prefer using the PS3 pad when they're over (wierdos).

T-bolt on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Column you're likely just lost for grip on a balltop. Going the other way isn't hard because a balltop grip still works on the battop. The inverse is not true, another issue could be the activation distance since if I am not mistaken Happ/Il stuff has a larger dead zone than San/Sei.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Column you're likely just lost for grip on a balltop. Going the other way isn't hard because a balltop grip still works on the battop. The inverse is not true, another issue could be the activation distance since if I am not mistaken Happ/Il stuff has a larger dead zone than San/Sei.

Its the opposite. Happ/Il has a ridiculously small deadzone, with a much harder spring. Worst of all, if you let go of the stick, it bounces around before settling, registering a thousand uneccessary input.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425