As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (Noir Spider-Man holy shit!)

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Deadpool level... that was pretty funny. These writers are good.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    templewulf wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    Teyar wrote: »
    See, what bugs me is that at no point does any game quite "get" the wallcrawling, except, MAYBE, for Web Of Shadows. Spidey isnt supposed to be ANY slower on the wall than he is on the ground or in the air, but the best any game can seem to come up with is he goes still the instant he gets sticky, and then you have to initiate a seperate sprint. I sort of just wound up permanently holding the zoom button in WoS, it works out well enough.

I dunno man, i'd chalk that up to common sense on the developer's part.

You cannot crawl faster than you can run. I don't see how high-speed crawling could work without looking completely retarded.

In Spider-Man 2, they had him literally doing a full sprint with only his feet touching the wall. If you did it out of a web swing, it looked double awesome.

That was more of a wall run than sticking to it though, if you didn't jump/swing away pretty soon, he would drop back into the crawl.

Having an option to 'hit the wall crawling' or something rather than just stopping would be good, but I've got no problem with moving slowly, as it'd be next to impossible to make feel right.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This game is definitely more focused than previous games...but it lacks the quality control that would have made this a better game. It seems to be full of bugs and glitches.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Deadpool level... that was pretty funny. These writers are good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Slott

Furu on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    This game is definitely more focused than previous games...but it lacks the quality control that would have made this a better game. It seems to be full of bugs and glitches.

I have yet to come across a single one so far

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like how Web of Shadows actually took one of the lesser used comic book ideas, that its actually a straight up super-power of his, in the, "I can grind down the wall or momentum shift however I damn well please, even break-fight-dance on it." sense as opposed to "I have sticky fingers" low-power sense.

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I have yet to come across a single one so far

I had one where an enemy glitched into the floor somehow. Stymied me for a minute, but then I tried a heavy ground attack which got him out of it and let me kill him so I could continue. But that's the only glitch/bug I've seen.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The glitch that comes up for me all the time is, whenever I try to crawl up a wall, it doesn't work very well, or sometimes at all. Web-slinging is pretty hit-or-miss too.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The carnival level in this game is easily the most poorly-designed piece of shit I've had the mispleasure to play since at least the days of PlayStation 1.

The noir levels in general are the least interesting of the bunch, but goddamn, that level is pretty much a design course in how to make a great game; do everything opposite of what was done here.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    So I picked this up last Friday. Is there some kind of support group for habitually buying new video games?

"Hi, I'm Mego, and I'm a video-gameaholic."

"Hi Mego!"

I place the blame squarely on you, Penny Arcade Forums.

We're here to help. Join up, and try to fight the curse of never finishing a game!

-Loki- on
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I gotta say I really enjoyed it to start with. But when it got down to the last few levels, I don't know if fatigue had set in or things were were just poorly designed, but I just wasn't having as much fun. It's a shame because there are a lot of great things about SD, but man it felt like a chore at the end.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I finally got around to renting and playing this.

Definintly worth renting, Amazing and Ultimate were funny as hell (Oh Deadpool, never change) and I loved Noir's atmosphe (though I really wished the armed goons could be reliably beaten outside of takedowns, and the fireworks-laden stealth sections of the last Noir level can go to hell)

But I think I enjoyed 2099 the most. Had a kick with skydiving sections, loved how different it looked, and 2099 Spidey's rush-to-attack combat felt the best to me (outside of Ultimate's Rage Mode) On top of that, suprising to me, 2099's VO grew on me; I almost completly discounted him because he sounded so different from NPH and Josh Keaton (which comes to my head as the voice(s) of Spider-Man) but he quipped as good as those two, and then I found myself saving his last stage as a kickoff to the endgame.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I haven't played it yet, but he should sound very different. He's not Peter Parker at all...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, in the comics it was actually something of a character quirk that Miguel was an old fashioned kind of thinker, ie, someobody recognizable as a Spider Man.

Teyar on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My review copy game with an "the art of Spider-man Shattered dimensions" art book (was this included in a limited edition of the game?).

At the end of the book there is a helpful little tip (not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread already:

Unlock Iron Spider:

At Main Menu Put in Following Code: Up, Right, Right, Right, Left, Left, Left, Down, Up

Bamelin on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Amazon.com's Goldbox says that a game featuring four parallel universes is going to go on sale in an hour or so. Odds are it's this game, so check back in an hour if you think you may want it at a discount.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I haven't played it yet, but he should sound very different. He's not Peter Parker at all...

I know, I'm saying I didn't think I would like him because he was not Peter Parker.

...but then he started cracking jokes just as well as the others... sometimes better.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Based on some things I'd read previously in this thread and other Spider-threads, I ignored reviews that had previously influenced me to stay away from Web of Shadows and picked up a used copy a couple days back.

I'm a few hours in, and this game is getting awesome.

I still haven't beaten Shattered Dimensions, though I just finished the Vulture level in the Noir universe and really liked the Nosferatu-like design they gave him.

I do have to say, though, that no open-world web-swinging leaves a pretty big hole in the game, after the fun I've been having with WoS.

cr0w on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I've never understood the Web of Shadows bashing. It's probably still my favorite Spider-Man game. Likewise, I don't get all the love for the Noir universe chapters. They strike me as cheap Arkham Asylum knock-offs. Especially the last one,
    with it's fun-house carnival clown motif.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    I've never understood the Web of Shadows bashing. It's probably still my favorite Spider-Man game. Likewise, I don't get all the love for the Noir universe chapters. They strike me as cheap Arkham Asylum knock-offs. Especially the last one,
    with it's fun-house carnival clown motif.

That was my favorite level =(

vamen on
  • Options
    Samm1chSamm1ch Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Beat'd! I even completed the Web of Destiny, though I had to go back and re-play three or four levels to do so. Nothing worse than being nearly done with a level and having a challenge come up that says "Clear room 2 in less than 90 seconds: 0 seconds remaining."
    Noir was my least-favorite of the four dimensions. The controls were nowhere near precise enough to do stealth well. I also didn't like how much the game incentivized Spider-Sense throughout all four universes. It wasn't as ubiquitous as the "detective vision" in Arkham Asylum, but there wasn't much of a reason not to have it turned on at all times, especially if you wanted spider emblems or hidden spiders.

I think Amazing was slightly ahead of Ultimate and 2099 overall, but my favorite single level was definitely Deadpool. I also really liked the banter between Spidey and Doc Ock 2099. Speaking of which, the credits sequence showing Fem Ock babysitting a gaggle of tiny Hobgoblins and Scorpions was oddly adorable.

For those wondering about the length of the game, it's pretty long for a linear brawler that only has 12 levels + one final boss battle. My save file was a few minutes over 17 hours, and it was still only around 75%. If you have the patience to go back and try for Platinum medals on Hard difficulty, I could see 25-30 hours easy.

Edit: All these webs are too much for my fragile little brain.

Samm1ch on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Samm1ch wrote: »
    Beat'd! I even completed the Web of Shadows, though I had to go back and re-play three or four levels to do so.

If you meant the Webs of Destiny for each level (not that there's anything wrong with re-playing Web of Shadows three or four times; I did to see all the different endings!), then I've finished most of each one for all the levels I've completed so far. Finding the hidden spiders is always the last one I get done, and I can see those are going to be hard to find on the 2099 levels.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Akiba17Akiba17 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Deadpool is in this game? Sold.

Akiba17 on
  • Options
    egofalteregofalter Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm only on Act 2. Deadpool being in it would have been a nice surprise... so much for spoiler tags.

egofalter on
  • Options
    Akiba17Akiba17 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Surprise!?!

Akiba17 on
  • Options
    TheRenegade24TheRenegade24 Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Does anyone know how the gameplay is for this on PC?

TheRenegade24 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    egofalter wrote: »
    I'm only on Act 2. Deadpool being in it would have been a nice surprise... so much for spoiler tags.

There is literally a picture of him on the back of the box.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No hotlinking allowed

Which seems like the kind of meta thing you would do when referencing Deadpool

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    There, I'll just link to the post, then.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Akiba17 wrote: »

If it's the Deadpool I think it is you are in fact going to be angry.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Its not HateMachine Deadpool, its Nutjob Deadpool. They've decided to retcon that in as brain damage since, well, they had reasonable belief that he was DEAD.

Also, as its been said, Ultimate Deadpool is the only one who ever INTERACTED with Spidey.

Teyar on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    616 Deadpool chucked Peter Parker off a bridge (shortly before Civil War) and then fought Spider-man. After Peter's reveal he later comments about Peter=Spider-man totally getting him off the hook for chucking him off a bridge.

Lars on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

It's supposed to be, but he acts like regular Deadpool (crazy as balls).

616 Deadpool chucked Peter Parker off a bridge (shortly before Civil War) and then fought Spider-man. After Peter's reveal he later comments about Peter=Spider-man totally getting him off the hook for chucking him off a bridge.
    It was pretty great.
    "Oh crap, I wasn't supposed to kill anyone, least of all civilians!"
    "You're lucky I caught that Parker guy."
    "Oh good, we'll just say I knew you were there the whole time!"

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Deadpool also had a whole special issue where he time traveled back and took Peter's place in a comic, right down to people once again mistaking him for Spidey. Blind Al also pretended to be Aunt May.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010

It was pretty great.

...and then they fought?

Please tell me it was as epic(ly funny) as it sounds.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Deadpool also had a whole special issue where he time traveled back and took Peter's place in a comic, right down to people once again mistaking him for Spidey. Blind Al also pretended to be Aunt May.

The funniest part is Deadpool's reaction to Harry and Norman Osborn (particularly their hair).

Not completely Spider-man related, but Deadpool was also one of the dozen or so people to be the Hobgoblin though he never actually encountered Spider-man as the Hobgoblin (all I remember him doing was ranting in a phone booth about getting paid).

Also at one point Deadpool had a harem of Gwen Stacy clones. I believe he also walked in on clones of Uncle Ben and Aunt May having sex.

Lars on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Beat'd over the weekend. Now I just have to find those dang hidden spiders!

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Foefaller wrote: »

It was pretty great.

...and then they fought?

Please tell me it was as epic(ly funny) as it sounds.

It was very talk-y!
    Also incredibly one-sided because Deadpool, cool as he is, has absolutely no business fighting Spider-man.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I completely forgot about this game. As did most of the Penny Arcade crowd, apparently. Ah well, it's in my Gamefly queue.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I completely forgot about this game. As did most of the Penny Arcade crowd, apparently. Ah well, it's in my Gamefly queue.

It's a fun enough little game to start out with, but gets progressively worse as the game goes on. Definition of a rental game here, so you did good.

UnbreakableVow on