As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (Noir Spider-Man holy shit!)

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The combat in web of shadows was better (but still not all that) but the webswinging lost so much in it that it just wasn't fun.

Like this. Yay!

...Wat?

Web swinging in WoS was the shit. Swinging full speed between buildings, flipping through the air and sliding across the side of a building on your knees before jumping off into a swan dive, shooting out a web at the last second.

Some badass shit right there.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I thnink we've found the problem, the person whos been buying the last few games and making the developers think they're doing a good job.

Everyone surround Skull.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think you guys just can't find the fun in anything...

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The swinging was wrong. You weren't attaching to anything, and the attach point moved as you swong, so the swings always covered too much distance. It was way more difficult to glance off buildings like you could with the walrunning in 2.

It just spoilt the feel.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Like I said, the only problem I had with Web of Shadows is that I have OCD

I do everything in open-world games

And what do I do in a game where random crimes never stop happening?

I stop playing, that's what. But I had fun while it lasted.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The swinging was wrong. You weren't attaching to anything, and the attach point moved as you swong, so the swings always covered too much distance. It was way more difficult to glance off buildings like you could with the walrunning in 2.

It just spoilt the feel.

Plus, the controls felt way less accurate and more simplistic. Also, and I will fight 'till the end of the earth over this, Spider-Man should never, ever be able to double jump. He doesn't need it.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    that is some nit picky stuff

and I'm the biggest Spider-Man fan on the forums. I'm looking very much forward to this game, and while I hope it has some decent webswinging I believe the combat should be the focus, because when you think about Spider-Man 2, the actual game was not much fun to play. And that's sort of the point. I think Web Of Shadows was a step in the right direction, and I'm hoping this will be better than that.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh I'd edited the double jump out of memory. If you need to make the most agile game hero ever double jump, you're doing something wrong.

WoS was definitely a lot more simplistic. I remember getting to the higher speeds on that game and just zapping around the place, and then WoS I could actually cover ground way more quickly but I didn't feel like I was making that happen.

EDIT: I don't think it's nitpicky. It's detail, but it's the only couple of details that actually matter.

Combat was better, but combat is not why you play spiderman. And it wasn't that great, to be quite honest. It was better, but it still shows that the only teams that have been put onto spiderman have no idea what they're doing.

I suppose you don't need a great team for a spider man game to sell, which is why activision have never bothered to put one on them

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I haven't really been into Spider-Man for a while now (the precise moment I stopped reading comics in general: when they killed off Ben Reilly in the aftermath of the whole ridiculous clone saga thing, in an issue illustrated by the single worst artist ever), but something about this game has me very interested in it.

It's probably Spider-Man 2099. I loved Spider-Man 2099. I'm probably the only one, everyone else seems to hate 2099, but I thought he was fun.

reVerse on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    I haven't really been into Spider-Man for a while now (the precise moment I stopped reading comics in general: when they killed off Ben Reilly in the aftermath of the whole ridiculous clone saga thing, in an issue illustrated by the single worst artist ever)

Go watch the Spectacular Spider-Man series. Seriously, it's Spidey minus every scrap of bullshit that's been piled on in the last two decades. DO EET.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I can't think about Spectacular Spider-Man without getting depressed. Cancelling one of the best goddamn superhero cartoons ever, god fucking damn it.

And they cancelled Wolverine and the X-Men, too! What the christ marvel

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

and I'm the biggest Spider-Man fan on the forums. I'm looking very much forward to this game, and while I hope it has some decent webswinging I believe the combat should be the focus, because when you think about Spider-Man 2, the actual game was not much fun to play. And that's sort of the point. I think Web Of Shadows was a step in the right direction, and I'm hoping this will be better than that.

Yeah, one thing I will give USM is that the combat felt much better than 2. And based on Klyka's LP WoS looked pretty damn good in the combat department.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It looked real good, yeah, but was generally boring and shallow. There are about a million other brawlers that are a helluva lot better than WoS.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Eh, from what I remember, it came to spamming one particular set of moves. Looked badass though.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I kind of want to buy the game just because they are adding unlockable skins.

I mean shit, it took them long enough.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i think, like prototype, it would become spammy in WoS if you were bad at the game. if you were good, and unlocked the new combos and abilities, and learned and used them, the combat was actually pretty fun and deep.
    unless of course you play like a boring person spamming the same moves..

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They are wasting a slot on Ultimate and Scarlet Spider is only an unlockable skin?

Well, nice intro, but my interest has just plummeted...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    They are wasting a slot on Ultimate and Scarlet Spider is only an unlockable skin?

Well, nice intro, but my interest has just plummeted...

Ultimate Spidey rocked for like 75 issues in a row. Regular Pete can't pull that off lately

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Yeah, the actual game part of it wasn't very fun to play - that is, missions and side-missions, etc. - but Spider-Man 2 was generally a game I turned on and played just to dick around and swing about the city

It wasn't a great game, but it had a fantastic safety net.

Conversely, the swinging wasn't as strong in USM as it was in SM2, but I felt it was a stronger game overall. It still lost that charm that came with a perfect swinging system, though.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Also, and I will fight 'till the end of the earth over this, Spider-Man should never, ever be able to double jump. He doesn't need it.

Whoah, I thought I was reading one of my old quotes here.

This are my impressions from Web of Shadows:
    The double jump in general is kinda silly. It has almost become a staple for many platforming games/characters. It's so prevalent that they might as well take it away since its not unique, just create your game levels with one jump in mind instead of two, same difference.

The reason that Spider-man doesn't need it is because he is practically a human pinball. He can stick to/run on walls, swing all over the place and web zip. Why does he need a double jump, because every other game character has one? In SM2 the swinging, wall running, wall jumping and web zipping were enough, it was good because it seemed like it was almost possible. Add a double jump it breaks the sense of semi real movement he has and it just looks silly.

THis game doesnt have free roaming but hopefully its still good.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Yeah, the actual game part of it wasn't very fun to play - that is, missions and side-missions, etc. - but Spider-Man 2 was generally a game I turned on and played just to dick around and swing about the city

It wasn't a great game, but it had a fantastic safety net.

Conversely, the swinging wasn't as strong in USM as it was in SM2, but I felt it was a stronger game overall. It still lost that charm that came with a perfect swinging system, though.

From memory, I believe they removed the ability to charge up an extra momentum boost for the end of your swing (allowing for huge vertical or horizontal swings), but they still kept the instant momentum boost you got from pulling the left trigger. The ability to climb up webs was nice, though.

And was it just me, or did anyone else have large sections of the map in USM refuse to load until you spent 20 seconds in grey blobs of completely unloaded map? I could still move the camera and the game world was still doing its thing, but I was shocked at how sloppy it was. Especially since the game had several loading screens before you even got to play the game.

If it was just me and I had a buggy disc or whatever, then I can put one of my major complaints about that game to rest.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I've never had that issue

And swinging wasn't even that bad, I dug it still

But there was a serious lack of tall buildings in USM

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Swinging was fine, but that extra momentum boost worked so well, I don't know why it was removed.

And that loading issue mainly happened to me the first time you gain control of open-world Spidey and during the middle of a race (and since my opponent could still keep going, much rage was had). And there was serious frame-rate issues when Venom is being pursued by all those soldiers.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, man, fuck you guys for reminding me I haven't played Spider-Man 2 and likely never will.

I played the first movie game, Ultimate Spider-Man and even the old PS1 games and loved the shit out of them all. The internet tells me that the most beloved Spidey game is Spider-Man 2, but since I didn't have a console last gen, I never got to try it out (Dear God, did it suck on PC).

I know they're both supposed to be awful games but if I just wanted to check out the swinging, which game should I go for? Spider-Man 3 or Web of Shadows?

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Web Of shadows is much better than 3, do not touch 3 with the very longest barge pole.

It is still poo.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I sorta bought my first 360 just to play Spider-Man 3 when it came out....

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I DID like how 3 had like, sewers and the inside of buildings. And kind of a decent rogue gallery. I think I can't really remember though.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Web Of shadows is much better than 3, do not touch 3 with the very longest barge pole.

It is still poo.

So, if I play Web of Shadows, I won't need to play 2, will I? I need to convince myself of that or I might end up buying a PS2.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

It is still poo.

So, if I play Web of Shadows, I won't need to play 2, will I? I need to convince myself of that or I might end up buying a PS2.

2 was also on XBox, and the 360 might be backwards compatible with it. You could check if they ever decided to support it.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spider-Man 2 is compatible with the 360. I enjoyed the 3rd game much more than most, but the second just has a certain charm to it.

And speaking of things that were amazing (hardy har har), I just remembered that the original Spider-Man PSX had the greatest replay value ever - A What-If Mode.

Good lord, I still haven't laughed as hard as I did with that stuff. Imagine an entire mode full of hilarious alterations, easter eggs, and wisecracks... and then crank it up to 11.

Oh, and Web of Shadows blew chunks. The web swinging was just a way to get from dull fight to to duller fight. Its a brawler masquerading as a Spider-Man game. And not a very good one, at that.

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So this is out this week (today or tomorrow!) and there needs to be discussion!
    Also new launch trailer. Has villain spoilers if you don't want to not know which bosses will be in the game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moDRAU4QTaM

vamen on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Annnnd double post action. Looks like this is out currently and I am going to pick up my copy. Lack of free roam makes me a little sad but I'm hoping it will still be awesome.

vamen on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I saw a demo station at a Best Buy. There's not a demo of this game out, is there?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Not of which I am aware.

vamen on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Out this week and no reviews? That does not bode well.

And it is a Spider-man game.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I pretty much always get Spidey games on release (except Friend or Foe). But then I'm the rare person who *loved* Web of Shadows.

vamen on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Game Informer and IGN have reviews out and makes sound not bad at all. Just the story being lame.

I still don't trust the game.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dan SlottDan Slott Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    All the stuff I have seen of Metroid didn't set me on fire. This has my attention though. Will likely pick it up this week.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It has Spidey 2099 in it. He is my favorite ever. Of course it must be doomed.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]