As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Goodbye 2TB of Data?

1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
I have a mule drive that I use to store all my music/video/pictures. Recently, I had to retire my file server and so my only copy of this data resides on this drive.

Yeah. You can see what's coming.

Today I plug it in to add some data to it and it only detects the drive. My Computer doesn't show any free/used space listed. I've seen enough drives do this that I know there's a problem, but it's been a long time since I had to diagnose it. Here's the important info:

diskproblem.jpg

I should still be able to read the data off the disk, right? I haven't attempted to format or write any data in case it still exists, but it seems like MBR issue where the PC can't interpret what's on the drive.

1ddqd on

• Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Partition table, not MBR (MBR is for booting :)). Have you loaded up something like a gparted liveCD to see what it sees (or just attach it to a linux box if you have one...) I'm sure there's equivalents to gparted on the Windows side (other thank disk management), but I haven't had to use them and they're probably not free :/ Good idea about not formatting or writing to it!

Dedian on
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Recuva is the hard drive recovery tool I use. If the drive just hiccuped the data could still be there, if it is, this software will find it for you.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Seconding recuva.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If I recover the data from the drive, will it reconstitute it on the same drive, or will I have to write to another physical drive/media?

1ddqd on
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You must recover it to a different drive. But that goes for most recovery tools.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You must recover it to a different drive. But that goes for most recovery tools.

Crap - I don't have another drive (or series of drives) with that amount of data lol

I guess if it detects data, I'll shell out the greenbacks for a new drive until this one can be replaced :x

1ddqd on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It may really be worth running a linux live cd and seeing if you can mount the drive from there.

Probably won't help a lot, but that's actually how I got into linux (seriously) myself... linux worked with a fucked up HDD where windows didn't, for whatever goddamn reason.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    desdinovadesdinova Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah the linux ntfs drivers are a lot more tolerant of filesystem damage. I would try mounting the drive read-only before doing anything. If the partition table is fucked and it won't mount, run testdisk to rebuild it.
    If that doesn't work you're probably looking at file carving, which takes a long time, won't get you directory structure or filenames and will likely fail partway through if the drive is dying.

desdinova on
    wat
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I got a similar issue... What/where is testdisk? is it a Linux tool?
    I have an Ubuntu 9.10 cd, how would I use it? I know next to nothing about linux.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Testdisk also has a windows version.

Noquar on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ok, thanks. I tried it, I did what's explained here, the program can see the partition and the folders within without trouble, so I told it to write the partition data.

But when I reboot, nothing happens. Windows still can't see it.

Recuva can see a bajillion files in the E: partition, but a lot of them are very old stuff I deleted long ago... sorting the right stuff would take a while.

what else can I do?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    One quick thing to try is popping in that Ubuntu CD and rebooting, then attempting to mount the hard drive in question. I'm assuming you've got another drive to put the data onto though, like a portable HDD or something.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I do
    sounds like a good idea

EDIT>> I`m in Ubuntu now, live cd, and what do you know... It can read the damn disk just fine. I`m copying the files over to another HDD and then later I`ll reformat and copy back in windows.
    Could it be some sort of software problem in Win7? I mean, Ubuntu mounted the drive without hitch (automatically, i didn`t even have to mount it myself), CHKDSK in Windows fixed it without issue, the Testdisk app also saw it fine...

Maybe I`ll try reinstalling the mobo drivers. Weird.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    desdinovadesdinova Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I see this happen a lot. Sometimes it's NTFS eating itself, sometimes it's drive failure.

desdinova on
    wat
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Getdataback.

It's the best data recovery software, if the hard drive is still readable (as in it physically works) then you should be able to recover your files easily. Use the free version to see whether it would be able to recover files, downside is you'll need to buy it if you want to recover the files.

But, it is the best recovery software on the market.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had this happen with an external HD. I had thought I had properly removed the drive from one pc when I transfered it to another; but apparently I didn't and it corrupted the drive exactly like how it's shown above.

So far, I either can only find programs like recurva that would allow me to get the files, but they're all not labled and unsorted; or there is one program, DiskGetor, that finds all the files, properly labeled and in teh right folders: but the fucking program won't let me transfer the files to a new drive without spending $69 first. I'm gonna try the Ubunto thing now.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I just copied the folders to other HDDs within Ubuntu, who was able to see the damaged partition without any hitches.
    Then I rebooted back to win7, formatted and copied the stuff back. It was just a a download and random old stuff partition, luckily, so I could boot and reboot without fucking with the OS or the important documents.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Ubunto livecd is working like a charm. Got an hour and 15 minutes left until it's done and I can start copying the files back.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kind of related question - I dug out my old 80gb drive to use for things like backing up itunes. I hadn't really done anything with it, just plugged it in to see if it still worked. I accidentally switched it off before I 'ejected' it, and now one of the partitions doesn't work. Whenever I switch it on to try and format it, it just spends 30 minutes 'reading' it then nothing pops up. Is there a tool I can use to easily reformat the entire thing?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Google for "gparted" and download the livecd. There are other things you can use, but for windows, the only things that immediately jump to mind are Partition Magic (paid program) or fdisk. Fdisk seems complicated though.

I should mention that I'm not too up on Windows software.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is there a way to get a liveCD version of ubuntu working from a memory stick for this purpose? I would like to do this from my netbook.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    unetbootin should put it on a flash drive with no problems.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Doing this from not-Ubuntu (i.e. Debian or windows) - possible?

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yes, download unetbootin.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    A prince. This is what you are.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What a horrible totp; no context.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I take that back...

A knave.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Siiiigh. My hard drive doesn't even show up on My Computer anymore. I'm worried that it might've completely died. It's a 500gb secondary drive. :(

Is there any way to get it working again short of rechecking its connections and fiddling with it?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Siiiigh. My hard drive doesn't even show up on My Computer anymore. I'm worried that it might've completely died. It's a 500gb secondary drive. :(

Is there any way to get it working again short of rechecking its connections and fiddling with it?

Literally, every post above yours will confirm if it "works" but the real test would be something like Seagate SeaTools or Western Digital's Diagnostics (Live-something I think)

1ddqd on