As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Banning Burqas in Belgium (oh my)

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can't we just punish the husbands of women wearing burqas? I mean that kind of insanity seems more in line with the idea behind the burqa

override367 on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can't we just punish the husbands of women wearing burqas? I mean that kind of insanity seems more in line with the idea behind the burqa

What's more crazy: Punishing people who wear burqas because we presume they are being forced to do so or punishing the husbands/fathers of women who wear burqas because we presume they are forcing them to do so?

Or passing laws that are based in nothing more than religious bigotry? (How'd that get in there?)

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zealot wrote: »
    Cpunk wrote: »
    Problem: Some men force their wives/daughters to wear certain articles of clothing.

Solution: Making it illegal to force someone to wear certain articles of clothing.

Actually, this might already be illegal.

Not a solution: Punishing people forced to wear certain articles of clothing.

How the hell is this so hard to get?

Peccavi on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    See, I knew we could agree on something.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love that people are rationalizing the defense of sexist barbarism just because its restriction isn't being evenly applied.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Enosh20Enosh20 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    well I'll be damned, looks like the EU is starting to grow a pair of balls

Enosh20 on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Enosh20 wrote: »
    well I'll be damned, looks like the EU is starting to grow a pair of balls

Yes, because heaven knows history has no examples of European nations having the balls to legally restrict the expression of religious beliefs. :P

Lawndart on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love that people are rationalizing the defense of sexist barbarism just because its restriction isn't being evenly applied.

Well fairness is kind of a fundamental principle of a free society.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Cervetus wrote: »

Fairness isn't a suicide pact.

Atomika on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

You realize that quote is from Adam's justification of the Alien and Sedition Act right? A massively oppressive law?

But you're right, a religious restriction that only applies to women's practice of their religion is sexist.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    PantsB wrote: »

You realize that quote is from Adam's justification of the Alien and Sedition Act right? A massively oppressive law?

But you're right, a religious restriction that only applies to women's practice of their religion is sexist.

Only because the practice is performed by women only.

It would apply to men too, if Islam said men should also cover up.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Excuse me?

Nobody is rationalizing Islamic misogyny. Nobody is rationalizing the burqa. I think Islam is idiotic and a major force of harm in the modern world. I think women who wear burqas by choice are silly goose cultists who are subjugating themselves to a sexist bronze-age ideology.

I also believe that it's not a modern democratic government's business how its citizens choose to dress or what cult they choose to follow, or not follow.

Oh, and I think fathers or husbands who force, through violence or threat of violence, women to dress like that should be prosecuted.

Does that clear things up?

Qingu on
  • Options
    BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I skipped ahead a few pages here, what harm is being done by women wearing their burqas?

Alternatively, can white christians walk around with ski masks on unpunished?

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Passing a law banning burqas isn't going to magically make Muslim women currently pressured into wearing them all of a sudden assert their rights against their oppressors (that's a run-on sentence, but I'm too lazy to figure out how to fix it). What it will do is drive them to stay at home, out of the public eye where good old-fashioned Europeans don't have to be bothered by looking at something different. If you're concerned with changing the culture, do it through education of the victims. Teach them self-worth, show them that men aren't inherently superior to women. Otherwise, no actions taken by government will be effective, the women will just deny any charges to avoid getting the men in their lives punished. Don't pretend that you're acting in their best interests by passing a law against the victims.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Passing a law banning burqas isn't going to magically make Muslim women currently pressured into wearing them all of a sudden assert their rights against their oppressors (that's a run-on sentence, but I'm too lazy to figure out how to fix it). What it will do is drive them to stay at home, out of the public eye where good old-fashioned Europeans don't have to be bothered by looking at something different. If you're concerned with changing the culture, do it through education of the victims. Teach them self-worth, show them that men aren't inherently superior to women. Otherwise, no actions taken by government will be effective, the women will just deny any charges to avoid getting the men in their lives punished. Don't pretend that you're acting in their best interests by passing a law against the victims.

Yes, because you know what doing away with "White's Only" lunch counters did? Kept the Negroes home in droves. I've never met a real one to this day. Certainly not while at a lunch counter.

I'm sorry, but I don't feel that oppression and sexism should be ordained by freedoms of religion and speech. What many of you here are advocating is no different than supporting barbarism so the victims won't be punished too badly by their abusers. So while we're at it, let's make wife-beating legal, too. I mean, what would happen to those poor women if they spoke out? It's for their own good.

Just because the burqa is worn by women doesn't mean that women are being punished here. If my parents and my religion insisted I wear a steel trap on my arm, it's not a punishment to me when I take it off.

Atomika on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Yes, because you know what doing away with "White's Only" lunch counters did? Kept the Negroes home in droves. I've never met a real one to this day. Certainly not while at a lunch counter.

I'm sorry, but I don't feel that oppression and sexism should be ordained by freedoms of religion and speech. What many of you here are advocating is no different than supporting barbarism so the victims won't be punished too badly by their abusers. So while we're at it, let's make wife-beating legal, too. I mean, what would happen to those poor women if they spoke out? It's for their own good.

Just because the burqa is worn by women doesn't mean that women are being punished here. If my parents and my religion insisted I wear a steel trap on my arm, it's not a punishment to me when I take it off.

Neither of those analogies makes any sense.

japan on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

You're absolutely right. Every woman who's ever worn a burqa ever is a victim of horrible oppression and desperately longs to remove the dreaded clothing.

While we're at it, let's just ban clothes in general. Women shouldn't be forced into wearing tops because of the tyrannical shackles of modern society, so logically we should make laws banning them from wearing tops at all! It's for their own good, of course.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

During desegregation, black people weren't forbidden from eating where they had prior, nor were they forced to eat in diners that had previously been "White Only". They were just given the choice to. I'm all for saying that it's illegal for men to force women to wear burqas, I support that wholeheartedly. NOBODY in this thread is saying otherwise. Give them the choice to dress how they want, but don't force it on them "for their own good."

Edit: Only got through the first paragraph before writing my response. As to the second analogy, it IS a punishment if you actually wanted to keep the steel trap on, or if YOU were fined because you were forced to keep the steel trap on by your parents and religion.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This would be more like requiring a black person to sit with a white person when he wanted to eat at a lunch counter. It is for their own good.

Couscous on
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Every woman who's ever worn a burqa ever is a victim of horrible oppression
    This is obviously true, and I'd love to hear your argument for why it is not.
    and desperately longs to remove the dreaded clothing.
    And this is obviously not true, but to return to the rather extreme "racism in the US" comparison, you wouldn't have had to look far, in the atmosphere of the '50s and earlier, to find a black person who genuinely believed themselves to be inferior. There are still real-life Uncle Ruckus-types around.

For the record, I'm pretty sure that this Belgian law is more anti-muslim than anti-sexist, and I'm terrified of the precedent such specificity could provide when large groups of believers turn their legislative might towards my much-maligned absence of religion. But I do believe that laws like France's head-covering rule (which is extended to all displays of religious affiliation) are a step in the right direction.

EDIT: ack I don't know how to not embed youtube videos, and this frustrates me.

EDIT2: The comparison to racism in the US is extreme, and could easily be misused, but it is not inherently flawed. I think some people are hung up on the idea that burqa-wearers are oppressed, not oppressors, so legislating against them is tantamount to blaming the victim. That's bullshit. They're both oppressors and oppressed at the same time. By perpetuating this oppressive tradition, they are contributing to the oppression of others even as they are oppressed by it themselves.

nescientist on
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Once again, this isn't law yet. Parliament hasn't even voted on it.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    LeonardNimoy.jpg
    A thread of dubious analogies. The cosmic ballet goes on...

Panda4You on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Many, if not most women who wear burqas do so because they are forced to. Does that imply all women who wear burqas do so because they're forced to? Of course not.

This should be a matter of personal choice. If a woman wants to wear a burqa, it's her right to do so.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

o_O

I don't even know how to respond to this. Unless you're implying that social pressure with regards to appearance is oppression, which I could kind of get behind, but somehow I don't think that's what you mean.

japan on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that it's expected to pass.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You could just ban all face-covering in public. It kind of nearly makes sense from a public safety point of view, and doesn't stink of racism.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Many, if not most women who wear burqas do so because they are forced to. Does that imply all women who wear burqas do so because they're forced to? Of course not.

This should be a matter of personal choice. If a woman wants to wear a burqa, it's her right to do so.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    corcorigan wrote: »
    You could just ban all face-covering in public. It kind of nearly makes sense from a public safety point of view, and doesn't stink of racism.

Islam is a race?

Leitner on
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that it's expected to pass.

The Belgian Parliament is made up of 150 representitives from 11 different political parties, the two largest hold 53 seats between them and they seem to support the bill. I don't know how the others intend on voting.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

A person can choose to do something which oppresses them. It doesn't follow that this choice should be legislated against, I know, but the fact remains.

nescientist on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    A person can choose to do something which oppresses them.
    What. A major part of oppression is the lack of choice.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

A person can choose to do something which oppresses them. It doesn't follow that this choice should be legislated against, I know, but the fact remains.

If they make the personal choice to do something that oppresses them, that's their decision and it should be respected.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    japan wrote: »

o_O

I don't even know how to respond to this. Unless you're implying that social pressure with regards to appearance is oppression, which I could kind of get behind, but somehow I don't think that's what you mean.

No social pressure required; the Burqa is a symbol of the submission of women to men (or, perhaps, of the utter inability of men keep their shit together when they see some ankle, but that's just as sexist in the other direction). It is oppressive due to its function, even if we ignore the circumstances that might influence the decision to wear it.

nescientist on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    A person can choose to do something which oppresses them.
    What. A major part of oppression is the lack of choice.

Eh. I can sorta see where he's coming from. Hypothetically, the American people could vote for a guy who says "Once elected, I will turn you all into my personal slaves, and use my allies in the military to make sure Congress and the Supreme Court go along with it."

Still silly goosery of absolutely incredible proportions, but it kind of makes some sort of twisted sense.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

o_O

No social pressure required; the Burqa is a symbol of the submission of women to men (or, perhaps, of the utter inability of men keep their shit together when they see some ankle, but that's just as sexist in the other direction). It is oppressive due to its function, even if we ignore the circumstances that might influence the decision to wear it.

On what are you basing this interpretation of it's function?

japan on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

If they make the personal choice to do something that oppresses them, that's their decision and it should be respected.

Broadly speaking, I agree with this. Especially when it comes to terrain as uncertain as religion and culture. But that doesn't mean that they aren't being oppressed, and more importantly, oppressing others. Basically, my position can be summed up as "fuck the burqa, hijab, niqab, islam, and the horse they all rode in on. But even people dumb enough to voluntarily embrace such nonsense should fear no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

nescientist on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

o_O

Its function is to cover the female body, lest that dangerous item lead men into sin. Do you have an alternative interpretation that isn't insanely sexist? I'd love to hear it, and perhaps revise my views here.

nescientist on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Broadly speaking, I agree with this. Especially when it comes to terrain as uncertain as religion and culture. But that doesn't mean that they aren't being oppressed, and more importantly, oppressing others. Basically, my position can be summed up as "fuck the burqa, hijab, niqab, islam, and the horse they all rode in on. But even people dumb enough to voluntarily embrace such nonsense should fear no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Oh, okay, so you're just a bigot.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Oh, okay, so you're just a bigot.

If disliking the precepts of Islam makes me a bigot, then I'll gladly accept the mantle. Would it make things any better if I informed you that I'm not fond of Christianity for almost identical reasons?

nescientist on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

o_O

Its function is to cover the female body, lest that dangerous item lead men into sin. Do you have an alternative interpretation that isn't insanely sexist? I'd love to hear it, and perhaps revise my views here.

It's function is to fulfil the standards of modesty interpreted from the scriptures. Some people have a stricter standard for what constitutes "modest" than others.

Given that even western society sets down similar rules and conventions (laws against public nudity, for example), at what point does a standard of modesty become oppressive?

japan on