As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Frequent intermittent computer problem

DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hiya! I have problems! Computer problems!

So about 4 days ago, I've run across a rather problematic error.
Running an HP Pavillion dv6000, Vista
Every now and then, seemingly at random, the whole OS just freezes up, all applications go to "not responding", and I can't open the task manager or do anything aside from a hard reset

Just started doing this one day

Ran memory diagnostics, system diagnostics, virus scans, adware scans, everything I can think of, no luck.

Basically, it means I can work on my computer for an unknown amount of time before it locks up, and it will.

Any idea what I can do here? I've backed up everything, if worst comes to worst.

rqv6.png
Davoid on

• Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Davoid wrote: »

Every now and then, seemingly at random, the whole OS just freezes up, all applications go to "not responding", and I can't open the task manager or do anything aside from a hard reset

Ran memory diagnostics, system diagnostics, virus scans, adware scans, everything I can think of, no luck.

Basically, it means I can work on my computer for an unknown amount of time before it locks up, and it will.

Any idea what I can do here? I've backed up everything, if worst comes to worst.

Bad harddrive. I had a harddrive start doing the same thing. If it's a similar issue, you soon might notice that the computer isn't starting right back up if you do a hard reboot while it's fritzing. You'll get disc read errors sometimes maybe, and the only way to fix the problem, inexplicably, is to unplug and replug in the hard drive.

I bought a second hard drive and the same thing kept happening. I wondered what issue could affect two consecutive harddrive. But I realized I still had the old one plugged in. So I unplugged it, and the issue went away, confirming the issue was isolated to that drive, and it was probably a bad drive.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    bad drive, yeah. just keep your stuff backed up.

retrovm on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    retrovm wrote: »
    bad drive, yeah. just keep your stuff backed up.

Or get two harddrives and have them run mirrored.
    This way if one f's up, you don't lose anything and have time to go get a new one before you lose some/all of your data.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Aw, I was hoping that wasn't the case. Oh well...

Thanks guys.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    Torque MonkeyTorque Monkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    While the bad hard drive diagnosis is a definite possibility, some tests to verify wouldn't hurt. With it being an hp, you should have a HDD run-in test in the bios, either directly in the setup or I want to say the dv6000 series is f2 for diagnostics. Short of that, its likely a WD HDD or Toshiba, so I would check out google for a pccheck HDD standalone test.

Another note, when you say virus scans have been run, which ones exactly? And do you have any p2p software installed, such as limewire or frostwire? A number of out and out anti-virus programs are poor at detecting things once they're already residing on your system, give malwarebytes, counterspy and superantispyware a shot if you haven't already.

Torque Monkey on
    Gojira2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ah, I'll try them out. I ran symantec, norton and mcafee free

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    runethomasrunethomas Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Read up on the dv6000, I've worked on several of them all with the same problem, there is a defect in the BIOS that causes the heat sensors to not report correctly that just makes your system overheat, that being said if there is no damage to the onboard videocard you Could just try and update the bios. Most of the time a systemboard replacement is required. Call HP and see if they will replace it. Typed on my droid phone

runethomas on
  • Options
    FloowidFloowid Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    runethomas wrote: »

Read up on the dv6000, I've worked on several of them all with the same problem, there is a defect in the BIOS that causes the heat sensors to not report correctly that just makes your system overheat, that being said if there is no damage to the onboard videocard you Could just try and update the bios. Most of the time a systemboard replacement is required. Call HP and see if they will replace it. Typed on my droid phone

I was going to suggest heat, coupled with a heat sensor that isn't shutting down the system safely. It couldn't hurt to take the thing apart and make sure all the fans are working properly, and that they are not clogged with the debris that inevitably clogs fans and shrouds.

Floowid on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I will keep all this advice in mind. Thanks guys!

For some reason, the problem -seems- to have stopped as suddenly as it began, but I'll keep all this in mind, and I'm doing nightly backups.

and yea, I noticed it only happened when the computer was really, really hot, but it used to just shut off, so I wasn't sure if that was the problem.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, it's confirmed.

0% into the hard drive diagnostic test - error 10008: Replace Hard Drive

So now I'm stuck. It's near the end of the school year, and I need to finish a ton of large projects, but I am not sure if I can keep using this computer for it. I do not have an alternate computer to work off of.

Could be worse, the whole thing could be dead, but it's still a real concern for me, especially at this time in the year.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png