As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hard drive mixing up files randomly

blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
I've tried to google this, but to no avail. It doesn't help that I'm not sure how to word this.

What's been happening lately, is that I will plug in my external hard drive, a Western Digital 500GB My Book, via USB cable and everything will be fine.

Then, randomly, some time later, a lot of my video files (.avi, mkv. ect.) will suddenly either not work or have different content (usually music, music that I do not have). The thing is, they will be fine one minute while I'm watching and then suddenly close out and proceed to not work. It doesn't happen to every file, but it happens to a majority of them.

Last night, I copied a good bulk of the files over to my computers HDD. When I looked at it this morning, some of the files work, but there are still some that do not.

Has this happened to anyone before? Does anyone know what might cause this or what the solution may be?

Thanks!

blaze_zero on

• Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd have to say that sounds like the drive is going out.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dang. I only bought it 9 months ago too.

I'm going to try and back up all the files then. Hopefully they will all work.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As an aside, if the drive's faulty, it's still in its first year of warranty. In North America, WD has a 1 year repair warranty. Europe is 2 years, and Asia Pacific is 3 years. I still haven't figured out why it differs from region to region, but there you go.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Alright, i'll check that out, thanks!

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh boy. Came home and plugged it in and I can't even access it anymore...

I'm trying to use a Data Recovery program. We'll see how that works.

When I reformat the drive, if I can, should I make it NTFS or FAT32?

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That size? If you're just using it with Windows, you'd best go with NTFS. IIRC, FAT32 doesn't support files over 4GB in size.

fake edit: Apparently, FAT32 only supports a maximum of 65,535 files, too, so that's a bit shit on a HDD that size.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh, ok. Wasn't sure what the difference was.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Neither was I till half an hour ago. :D

Cyvros on