As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Toe Cramps, or 'why are you bending that way, you're a toe'

SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
People of H&A, my toes are being shitty little bitches, please send help.

This has been happening for the last couple of months: once a week or so, a few of my toes (generally the second largest, if it matters) will just start freaking the fuck out after the slightest stretch or movement. The tendons suddenly tighten and contract, and my toes start bending in ungodly and unnatural directions. The only thing I can do is to physically hold them in the correct "human" position until they behave. This is hardly ideal.

Does anyone know what causes toes to freak out like this, and if there's anything at all I can do to stop it?

It's a little frustrating.

SpongeCake on

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mine do it from being cold.

Maybe you need more bananas in your diet. Or more water. I don't know.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ever had a lower back injury?

Could be a weird nerve thing as a result of an injury. I sometimes get the same thing happening only it is in my calf. I know it isn't potassium related, and the only thing I can pinpoint it to is when I jacked my back many years ago.

travathian on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    does the pain echo up into your whole foot?

Because I get something like that (and it causes toe alignment... issues), and they say that comes from a lack of potassium.

Work some nuts or bananas into your diet and see if it goes away.

It's been a long time since I'd had one when I discovered this tidbit.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It could be lack of potassium. Have you started exercising more, or changed your diet?

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    Acebgd12Acebgd12 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm guessing they are cramps that just seem so exaggerated because they are occuring on such small parts of your body. Does it often happen after you exercise? After you wake up? I know that I, for some reason, curl my toes a lot while I sleep, and when I wake up they cramp and tighten.

Acebgd12 on
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Generally during/after exercise actually, yeah. And yes, I have upped the exercise regime recently... Sounds like we have a winner! Time to up the fruit intake then.

Good work H&A, you have triumphed again. Cheers guys.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Drink more water.

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    Pixel BluePixel Blue Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    -

Pixel Blue on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    Drink more water.

This will worsen it. Stay hydrated of course, but take in more magnesium and potassium. Drinking more water will make you more "dehydrated" in the sense that it's probably an electrolyte imbalance rather than having enough fluid in your body.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me