As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for fiction books, preferably steampunk.

EWomEWom Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm tired of all the fiction books I've been reading lately, mostly high fantasy, wizards and elves and shit, or ye old oldertons of oldery, or futuristic lazorbeampewpew crap. And thought I'd like to give steampunk/dieselpunk fiction a try, but.. don't really know where to start.

So if anyone has any suggestions that'd be nice, or if you've read a particularly good book lately that isn't steampunk, but preferably not of the 3 types I described above, I'd like to hear/read about it also.

A brief description, of any suggested book would be highly appreciated, though if you don't feel up to it, then fuck it, don't describe it.

Thanks!

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
EWom on

• Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Does manga count?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I've never really been into it, but I've also never really tried it out. So I guess I could give it a whirl.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    I thought Last Exile might have had a manga.. Looks like it only is in anime..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUjiXriGFbo

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    China Miéville - Perdido Street Station. Magic is just another field of science. The Punishment Factories turn condemned prisoners into Remade beings with pneumatic limbs and a steam boiler on their back. Nobody uses Torque energy any longer after the explosion that created the wasteland called the Cacotropic Stain. A picture is shown of a creature from the Stain, suspected to be the offspring of a train engine that went native and started breeding.

Are you still here? Go read it, damnit.

Next: Alastair Reynolds - Terminal World.
    Spearpoint, the last human city, is an atmosphere-piercing spire of vast size. Clinging to its skin are the zones, a series of semi-autonomous city-states, each of which enjoys a different - and rigidly enforced - level of technology. Horsetown is pre-industrial; in Neon Heights they have television and electric trains...

Following an infiltration mission gone wrong, Quillon has been living incognito, working as a pathologist in the district morgue. But when a near-dead angel drops onto his dissecting table, Quillon's world is wrenched apart one more time, for the angel is a winged posthuman from Spearpoint's Celestial Levels - and with the dying body comes bad news.

If Quillon is to save his life, he must leave his home and journey into the cold and hostile lands beyond Spearpoint's base, starting as an exile that will take him further than he could ever have imagined. But there is far more at stake than just Quillon's own survival, for the limiting technologies of the zones are determined not by governments or police, but by the very nature of reality - and reality itself is showing worrying signs of instability...

Skullboys, Swarm and carnivorgs, oh my.

Echo on
  • Options
    Grey_AreaGrey_Area Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    William Gibson and Bruce Sterling - The Difference Engine

Grey_Area on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    China Miéville's New Crobuzon stuff as noted above, really is awesome and you should do yourself the favour of going to read them now!

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Stephen Hunt has done some steampunk stuff, though it's nowhere near as good as Mieville (but what is?)

tynic on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions I'll look into them.

EWom on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You really are not going to find much better than Mieville.

Hes probably the best world builder out there... fantasy or sci fi. Hes good to the point of being just fantastic literature. Now if you want some stuff thats more straight pulp steampunk:

Cherie Priest's Boneshaker

Jay Lake's Mainspring

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2010

Oh, that caught my eye when it was mentioned by Warren Ellis. Need to check that out.

Echo on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Oh, that caught my eye when it was mentioned by Warren Ellis. Need to check that out.

It's an enjoyable read. Picked it up on a whim last time I went to the book store.

The Deepgate Codex is also enjoyable. May be a bit too Fantasy for what the OP is looking for though.

see317 on