Options

ITT: Firearms & the use thereof [Not Policy]

siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
A few guidelines.

1.) No pictures of artillery, tanks, APCs, or any of that nonsense with an "I want". If you really want to deal with that shit go here . If you want to discuss weapons platforms (Paladin/Crusader, Stryker/Bradley), by all means.

2.) Please don't run in here screaming about how guns are terrible and if we banned all the guns everything would be sunshine and peaches. Ask what a "glasgow kiss" is, and then tell me that solves problems. Corrolary: Don't start up with IF WE BAN GUNS ONLY CRIMINALS WILL HAVE GUNS. If you'd like to debate gun laws, I reckon that's fine, as long it dosen't descend into platitudes.

3.) No one liners about "omg 9mm is for ladies get a real caliber" or anything like that. You want to debate the stopping power between a 9mm and a .45, that's fine.

That being said, I'll start us off. I own a Para Ordnace .45 and a Benelli M2 Nova. Personally, I find the .45 a bit more fun shoot than a .9mm or a .38. Seems to have more bang, and generally leave an impressive sized hole in whatever you're shooting at.

I bought my Benelli when I was living in Alaska, for bear. When me and my friend were hiking Denali, we surprised a mother bear w/ cubs. His .45 wasn't enough to back her off, but I fired a "bear stopper" slug near her, and the combination of a tree chunk whizzing by her head with a gout of fire from the barrel disuaded her from charging us.

I find Benelli to be a bit more steady and well made than Mossberg, and you get more for the buck. I think my Nova easily stacks with any high priced Remington, even if it is Italian made.

Personally I'm trying to think if I should invest in a good assualt rifle (civilian model), or go for a rifle with a scope. I always enjoyed firing my M4, especially when deployed (because all the usual bullshit went out the window), but I'd like to work on some long distance shooting as well, and that's sort of a pain in the arse.

siliconenhanced on

• Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Might be old news, but a friend sent me this link:

http://www.gausspistol.com/index.html

Using ye olde Gauss technology, guy fires a steel pin at things. Kinda neat and geeky, but not even remotely practical.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Foregoing theatrics my primary is my 23'' Remington 870 Super Mag, interchangeably loaded with 2 3/4 and 3 inch magnum loads. I tend to stick to 2 3/4 double-ought for defensive purposes. It does everything I want as far as hunting/skeet/trap, and I keep the 23'' barrel for defense as I will gladly foresake a bit of compactness for the extra range

I also plink with with my winchester 9422 xtr, a solid little .22 rifle, and quite a classic in its time.

Ive' got a custom type 38 in 6.5mm, but the reliability leaves much to be desired, so ill' be looking for another long-rifle soon.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    arod_77 wrote:
    Foregoing theatrics my primary is my 23'' Remington 870 Super Mag, interchangeably loaded with 2 3/4 and 3 inch magnum loads. I tend to stick to 2 3/4 double-ought for defensive purposes. It does everything I want as far as hunting/skeet/trap, and I keep the 23'' barrel for defense as I will gladly foresake a bit of compactness for the extra range

I also plink with with my winchester 9422 xtr, a solid little .22 rifle, and quite a classic in its time.

Ive' got a custom type 38 in 6.5mm, but the reliability leaves much to be desired, so ill' be looking for another long-rifle soon.

Arod, when it comes to ammo, do you tend to use reloads? I'm in DE right now, and I'm having quite a price shock with the price of ammo around here. I used to be able to pick up 50 rounds of .45 ACP for about 8$-10$ in Alaska, but here's its a hair under $20 for a box at the local gunshop. I'm about to go over to Target to see if they have a giant discount on it or not.

Do any varmint shooting with that .22? I enjoyed plinking with my buddy's, and ammo was cheap enough that you could go through a box and not care.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The .22 is extremely accurate, and as such I don't shy from using it out to about 75 yrds for some varminting, I load some of those federal match hollowpoints for that. Its a lever action, but it still managed to feed the hollowpoints luckily.

I use reloads for the 6.5, because it is a pretty much dead caliber, but I am looking for something in .308 nowadays, I almost got a reloading press w/ dies, but I decided it wasn't worth it for the immediate cost benefits.

Ammo prices for shotgun don't bother me to much, I just buy the remington target loads of 100 rounds for about 17 bucks a box, and use those for skeet and general fuckmuppetry.

I try to conserve my big game reserves, because it usually ends up at least a buck fifty a round for high quality buckshot

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I tend to buy rounds for my 12 gauge for "shits and giggle" factor. Mainly "what will happen to this watermelon if I hit it with a sabot/3 inch slug/3.5 inch double aught buckshot.

Usually it fulfills my daily requirement of "Holy SHIT!" factor. I should get a smaller caliber pistol for plinking, but I do enjoy blasting away with that .45. My friend Bob had a Kimber with all the bells and whistles, but I'd put my Para up against it anyday. Its a finely made weapon.

I've been looking at H&Ks and G36s lately. What are you opinions on those? Seems there's two camps: You Get What You Pay For and You're Just Buying a Name. Personally, I think history shows the Germans have a pretty good track record when it comes to making guns, but I'm not sure if I really feel like plunking the down payment on a new car for a nice assualt rifle.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you're thinking of a civilian assault rifle, I highly recommend the M-14 (M-1A) It will set you back a good 2-3K, but God it's worth it.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Arod, when it comes to ammo, do you tend to use reloads? I'm in DE right now, and I'm having quite a price shock with the price of ammo around here.

I can tell you from personal experience that using reloads is probably the most cost-efficient long-term option you will have. My grandad and I have been using his reloading kit since I can remember and it's a cash saver when you're talking about large caliber, hard-to-find ammo. He routinely loads about 300 rounds per month for his pistols and about 100 rounds per month for his hunting and/or target shooting rifles. The cash outlay can be daunting at first, but if you plan on shooting over the next 5 years, you'll save money.

edit: As a plus, if you're using a muzzleloader at all, you'll already have most of the equipment for casting slugs as well as the powder, so you might as well invest in a decent reloading kit.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Capt Howdy wrote:
    If you're thinking of a civilian assault rifle, I highly recommend the M-14 (M-1A) It will set you back a good 2-3K, but God it's worth it.

The Garand, I take it? We used those in Afghanistan, and I fell in love with it. Does it still take a 7.62 round in the civilian model?

I can tell you from personal experience that using reloads is probably the most cost-efficient long-term option you will have. My grandad and I have been using his reloading kit since I can remember and it's a cash saver when you're talking about large caliber, hard-to-find ammo. He routinely loads about 300 rounds per month for his pistols and about 100 rounds per month for his hunting and/or target shooting rifles. The cash outlay can be daunting at first, but if you plan on shooting over the next 5 years, you'll save money.

I had this same discussion with a friend over breakfast. : ) The problem is pretty much that I don't have the space for a reload set up, since I'm living in a loft. Probably the best option would be for me to arrange something with my grandfather, who lives down south aways, and talk to him.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I had this same discussion with a friend over breakfast. : ) The problem is pretty much that I don't have the space for a reload set up, since I'm living in a loft. Probably the best option would be for me to arrange something with my grandfather, who lives down south aways, and talk to him.

Yeah, setting up shop in anything other than your own house is a dicey proposition when it comes to local law enforcement. Luckily, my grandad spent more time in law enforcement than most cops have spent on the planet. :P

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Capt Howdy wrote:

The Garand, I take it? We used those in Afghanistan, and I fell in love with it. Does it still take a 7.62 round in the civilian model?

308, outstanding stoping power. The best part is the recoil; it's almost non-existent thanks to the weight of the rifle.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The M1A is arguably the finest combat rifle ever built

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    arod_77 wrote:
    The M1A is arguably the finest combat rifle ever built

I own one and I concur. That thing is a beast and it functions even under the worst conditions. So sexy....

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I like the Garand but it's a little heavy and takes more upper arm strength to work the action than newer designs. It's one thing if you're sitting with your elbows on a shooting bench, it's entirely different if you're carrying it around and working the action under time pressure and shooting from a standing position.

I have a lot of respect for the guys who had to slog through the mud with that rifle.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    AsumaAsuma Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Picked up a Remington 870 Defender over xmas. So far very happy with the design and construction. My first shotgun.

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I own a Kimber 1911, a surplus Soviet Mosin Nagant (best $70 gun ever!) and I'm thinking about picking up a Mossberg 500. Does anyone own one or have opinions on that idea?

The Kimber is a great, great piece if you are looking at getting a pistol chambered for .45 ACP. My friend has a USP .45, which is also awesome but about twice the price. I like the trigger on the Kimber better - there is absolutely no slack in it at all. I also like the beavertail safety. The down side is that due to the way 1911s are designed, there is no safe way to lower the hammer with a round in the chamber. You have to drop out the magazine, rack the slide to eject the round, and then dry fire it in a safe direction. It's also heavy, but I'm a pretty big guy, so that's okay for me.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Mossbergs are a good choice for quick and easy home defense, however many will tell you that the 870 is a much superior choice due to reliability and quality control.

I say that the 590 is still a damn nice gun though, especially the "cruiser" defensive models

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'll be using it for hunting pheasant and quail, as well.

Doc on
  • Options
    AsumaAsuma Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    arod_77 wrote:
    Mossbergs are a good choice for quick and easy home defense, however many will tell you that the 870 is a much superior choice due to reliability and quality control.

My bro has a Mossberg. It was between that and the Remington at Big 5. Salesmen kept trying to push the 20" but went with the 18" and not regretting it. Might go to an outdoor club later this month and put some rounds through it.

Anyone have experience with trap and have recommendations on models? Had a lot of fun clay shooting in LV last year.

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have a .22 repeater which I enjoy. My dad is past his hunting phase so once I have a more permanent residence I'll end up with his stuff.

The most noteworthy is his 7mm Magnum rifle. That thing is more fun than it has a right to be. I need to get my hunting license one of these days.

Also, semi-auto shotguns for hunting gophers ftw.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've been thinking long and hard about picking up a civilian FN Five Seven. If anybody's got any experience with em, I'd love to hear about it.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm in the process of getting my paperwork so I can finally go shopping. I'm thinking I'll probably get a Remmington 700 (or Winchester model 70 if I can find one) in .308 and some cheap 9mm semi. As you may guess, I like cheap rounds.

Norinco makes a 1911 in .45 and 9mm for pretty cheap and the quality is apparently pretty good now. They can't be sold in the US, but that's not a problem for me.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    defrag wrote:
    I've been thinking long and hard about picking up a civilian FN Five Seven. If anybody's got any experience with em, I'd love to hear about it.

I've fired one. Feels like a .22 or something. Not sure what it would be good for aside from use in the secret service or something, though.

The rounds are about 50 cents each, and you can dump a 20 round magazine fast. So it's too expensive for just plinking, but it's not a particularly good self-defense round, either.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    an_alt wrote:
    They can't be sold in the US, but that's not a problem for me.

Why is that?

Doc on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    He's wrong, ive shot many Norinco M1911A1s

Doc, if you want it to hunt quail as well you are going to want at least a 23'' barrel in my estimation, arguably a semi-auto would suit you better for wing shooting, but I prefer the pump-action due to reliability issues.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    arod_77 wrote:
    Doc, if you want it to hunt quail as well you are going to want at least a 23'' barrel in my estimation, arguably a semi-auto would suit you better for wing shooting, but I prefer the pump-action due to reliability issues.

The one I was looking at is the Mossberg 500 with both 28 inch and 18 1/2 inch barrels.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    perfect, get a nice waterfowl choke for the 28'' and you are golden

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Doc wrote:
    I own a Kimber 1911, a surplus Soviet Mosin Nagant (best $70 gun ever!) and I'm thinking about picking up a Mossberg 500. Does anyone own one or have opinions on that idea?

The Kimber is a great, great piece if you are looking at getting a pistol chambered for .45 ACP. My friend has a USP .45, which is also awesome but about twice the price. I like the trigger on the Kimber better - there is absolutely no slack in it at all. I also like the beavertail safety. The down side is that due to the way 1911s are designed, there is no safe way to lower the hammer with a round in the chamber. You have to drop out the magazine, rack the slide to eject the round, and then dry fire it in a safe direction. It's also heavy, but I'm a pretty big guy, so that's okay for me.

Its heavy, but its slender. My Para is ridiculously fat around the handle. I seemed to have better control with the Para, to be honest, because it was heavier and didn't jump as much. Of course, my grip could have been too slack, but I just prefer the heavier build of it. You're dead on about that trigger though. You pull it and you get a round out of the chamber.

I really do wish they'd trade out the 9mms they issue us in the Army with the 1911s again. Talking about stopping power is well and good in a theoretical situation like home defense. However, when putting two rounds into someone might be what ends with you getting shot, I'd say stopping power becomes more than just an afterthought.

While I don't like the Mossys for my own use, I had one when I was in the turret in case something was too close in/unrealistic for me to use the .50 caliber on. No matter how dusty/grimy/wet that fucker got, it never jammed. I'll say that for it.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    As a non gun owner (I'm personally anti-gun, which mean I am against owning a gun PERSONALLY) I have a question.

I know that there are plenty of measures to make it dificult o buy guns; you can't justwalk intoa store and purchase it, youneed to fill out paperwork etc.

How difficult is it to buy ammo? I alwaysseem to get the impression that, once somebody has a gun, it's really easy to get ammo.

And yeah, I know that there was a Chris Rock joke in a similar vein, but maybe there is a grain of truth to that. How would you gun owners feel if gun restrictions themselves were laxened, but more restrictions were added on the purchasing of ammo?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    There would be no point, its easy enough to manafacture your own ammunition in your garage given the proper elements (gunpowder, primers, brass)

not only that, but how many bullets do you think it takes to kill a person? Do you mean restricting hollow points or soft point bullets? Those have legitimate hunting purposes

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Evander wrote:
    As a non gun owner (I'm personally anti-gun, which mean I am against owning a gun PERSONALLY) I have a question.

I know that there are plenty of measures to make it dificult o buy guns; you can't justwalk intoa store and purchase it, youneed to fill out paperwork etc.

How difficult is it to buy ammo? I alwaysseem to get the impression that, once somebody has a gun, it's really easy to get ammo.

And yeah, I know that there was a Chris Rock joke in a similar vein, but maybe there is a grain of truth to that. How would you gun owners feel if gun restrictions themselves were laxened, but more restrictions were added on the purchasing of ammo?
    This is actually an interesting point, since manufacturing ammo is not a trivial task. I know it can be done, but it would be quite an ask.

There is also the point that live ammunition, w/o a gun, can still be put to a myriad of [deadly, illegal] uses.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Evander wrote:

I wouldn't mind really, but it would only move part the problem into an area that's even harder to enforce.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    no, not trivial, but you have to understand that during the clinton era when handloading came close to being banned, thousands of gun owners amassed huge stockpiled of reloading equipment

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    arod_77 wrote:
    There would be no point, its easy enough to manafacture your own ammunition in your garage given the proper elements (gunpowder, primers, brass)

in theory it's also easy enough to manufacture a pipe bomb, but it's also illegal

my thinking is that, an unloaded gun is practically no more dangerous than any other blunt object; it is the ammunition that makes it deadly, so inorder to prevent gun-related accidents and gun-related violent crime, wouldn't it make sense to attempt to regulate ammo in some way.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    arod_77 wrote:
    perfect, get a nice waterfowl choke for the 28'' and you are golden

It might be fixed-choke. I'll check after work.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    yes, but it is not illegal as of yet to make your own ammo, and making it illegal would only serve to create a large underground market for handloaded ammunition, you think Joe Hick living in the woods of montana is going to start going to walmart for ammo again?

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Doc wrote:
    an_alt wrote:
    They can't be sold in the US, but that's not a problem for me.

Why is that?

Apparently the US has an import ban on Chinese firearms. It's too bad because the 1911s start at $325 Canadian for what's supposed to be a pretty decent reproduction.

Anyway, what cartridge does everyone like/use for deer hunting?

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    You can still get Norinco stuff, they just have to have a certain number of US parts installed and marked for importation, its the same story with Romanian WASR-10s and the like

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    X5X5 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Doc wrote:

Doc,

I own a mossberg 500. It's a glorious gun. I prefer mossbergs over remington for all around. Shooting wise, both are really awesome guns. But for ease of use in breaking down, cleaning the bore and action. And speed loading. The mossberg 500 is the way to go. Its super reliable, built well, and is not overpriced by any means. Most 500's are chambered for 2 3/4"s and 3"s. I like where the safety is positioned for, shooting safety, as well as "home defense" should the need arise. Easily accessable with your thumb. Most sport mossbergs hold 5-6 2 3/4"(duck plug removed) and 1 in the chamber. The "defense" models come stock to allow 9-10 2 3/4"

I just love this shotgun.

X5 on
    TheX5.png
  • Options
    StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Doc wrote:
    The down side is that due to the way 1911s are designed, there is no safe way to lower the hammer with a round in the chamber. You have to drop out the magazine, rack the slide to eject the round, and then dry fire it in a safe direction.
    Why would you want to drop the hammer with a round chambered? The 1911 becomes useless and more dangerous to the user with the hammer down. I'm pretty sure it'll just fire if the hammer is bumped hard enough. I wouldn't say its lack of a decocker is a downside.

Stasis on
  • Options
    SaevarSaevar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Evander wrote:
    in theory it's also easy enough to manufacture a pipe bomb, but it's also illegal

my thinking is that, an unloaded gun is practically no more dangerous than any other blunt object; it is the ammunition that makes it deadly, so inorder to prevent gun-related accidents and gun-related violent crime, wouldn't it make sense to attempt to regulate ammo in some way.

A loaded firearm isn't any more dangerous than any other object. Load one sometime, put it on your table and leave it. It won't go off. I've got a 9mm thats been loaded many a time. Never once has it, or I, killed any animal, human or otherwise. There's not a paper target in the area that'll mess with me though.

Its the human element that can make a firearm lethal. But I don't think regulation of ammunition would have much, if any, effect on either negligent discharges, accidental discharges or deliberate use in violence. In the US, we don't discriminate based on stupidity (well.. we sort of do, but its the social rather than legislative kind) so those that are inclined to violate the rules of firearms safety are still going to pass muster for ammunition control. And requiring background checks before purchasing from a dealer hasn't stemmed the illegal use of firearms. Mainly because firearms used illegally are largely obtained illegally. Under a scenario of ammunition control, I'm willing to bet that illegally obtained or handloaded rounds will still fire just like legal ones.

Of course that should ammunition control ever be proposed, I suspect that part of the proposal would very much not be that the gun control legislation be lifted or mitigated.

Also.. siliconenhanced: I imagine your .45 is quite a bit more fun to shoot than a .9mm. :lol: I'd like to see this needle pistol of yours, though. (I know what you meant, but I still think its funny)

Saevar on