As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Connecting to XBOXLive through my PC's wireless

SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey H/A. I was told that I could bypass the purchase of the ridiculously overpriced wireless router for the 360 by connecting my 360 to my PC and using its wireless. I purchased a crossover cable, have them both connected, and have tried to set it up a couple of ways, but nothing seems to work.

Seeing as how most of the steps I read were from Yahoo Answers type sites, well known for their reliability, I figured I'd get a second opinion from you guys and gals.

I am not great with computers, but I can figure things out/learn quickly/used to know what I was doing, so don't worry about dumbing down answers or anything.

Thanks in advance!

Skullo on

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is a complete guess, so maybe someone can back me up/shoot me down

Open up your Network Connections, select both (internet NIC and Xbox NIC), and Bridge the connections.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I did this with my Mac, but it's possible with PC as well. Your best bet would be to look for a walkthrough video on youtube - try searching for stuff like "xbox live wireless connection PC" or something - I remember there were a few good ones up.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What OS are you running? Did this with Linux and it worked pretty flawlessly.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    This is a complete guess, so maybe someone can back me up/shoot me down

Open up your Network Connections, select both (internet NIC and Xbox NIC), and Bridge the connections.

For some reason, it won't let me. But I have done this once earlier so I don't know whats up. I'll try again.
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I did this with my Mac, but it's possible with PC as well. Your best bet would be to look for a walkthrough video on youtube - try searching for stuff like "xbox live wireless connection PC" or something - I remember there were a few good ones up.

Pulled one up, I'll watch and report back.
    Visti wrote: »
    What OS are you running? Did this with Linux and it worked pretty flawlessly.

Windows XP

Skullo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Alright, so.

I connected the crossover cable to my 360 and my PC. I bridged the connection between the local area network and my wireless, and nothing works. 360 can't get online, and neither can my computer, despite having a full wireless signal.

Alternatively, if I don't bridge the connections, and enable other connected users to share my internet connection (paraphrased, its that 'check' box in the wireless properties), I can still connect to the internet, and the LAN recognizes that its plugged into something, but still no Xbox Live.

Bwah?

Skullo on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I remember reading somewhere that there are other wireless receivers that will work with the xbox 360 and cost a fraction of the $100 price tag.

...just something you might want to look into

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can you detect your PC from your Xbox setup?

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Just checked. Apparently not.

Skullo on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You can buy a regular xbox wireless adapter and make it work. Those are cheap.

urahonky on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I remember reading somewhere that there are other wireless receivers that will work with the xbox 360 and cost a fraction of the $100 price tag.

...just something you might want to look into

There is also ebay. I nabbed one of the 'official xbox (360) wireless blah blah' for $35

Arrath on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can you set up the Xbox wireless adapter's network settings through a 360 or a PC? I use one myself, but I had an oXbox to set it up with.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Alright, case closed.

I just tried to do the "allow other users to connect through this connection" option, and it happened to work this time.

Moral: A wizard did it. Thank you for the support though ^^

Skullo on