As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Logitech Performance Mouse MX

finnithfinnith ...TorontoRegistered User regular
Canada Computers has a refurbished Logitech Performance Mouse MX for sale for $55

http://www1.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=028558&cid=KBM.979.963

Problem is, as I said, it's refurbished. I went to the store to check it out, and they're in some plastic baggies, but otherwise don't seem to be in bad shape. I don't know whether to trust the store, but I'm sure some of are Canadian and have had experience with the store, and I'm sure many more of you have had experience with the mouse or refurbished electronics in general.

I am a gamer, but I'm not that hardcore or even good enough that any input lag from a wireless mouse will be bad, so I think the mouse itself is good, given the reviews its gotten. I'm just unsure as to whether or not I should be buying refurbished stuff. I'd also be using the mouse for general use in addition to my gaming.

Thanks in advance.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
Steam: CavilatRest
finnith on

• Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have that mouse. The logitech software for mice is meh.

In some games it will recognize the extra buttons, in some it won't.

That's okay though, you can make a game profile for that specific game and assign key strokes to the buttons so that game will then recognize the buttons.

BUT some times it all just stops working. Eventually you just turn off the logitech software instead of dealing with all that crap and just use the basic buttons.

There's also no lag in wireless mice.

Also just spend you money and a decent normal mouse, that mouse is for Office stuff or WoW.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah if you're gaming get a G5 mouse. I've had one for over a year and a half and it still works wonderfully.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I didn't care for that particular model of MX... the older MX's are better in my opinion.

If you are cornered you can get a G5 or whatever.

MX700's are fine pieces of hardware though and I believe some Target's still have em... at least.. they did last year..?

Jasconius on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    RE: SetPoint, the new versions have been good to me with the G500.

SetPoint 4.x was rubbish, but Logitech recently released SetPoint 6 which covers almost all of their mice (no support for the Bluetooth mice). SetPoint 5.x was only for their new gaming mice (G9, G9x, G500).

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    RE: SetPoint, the new versions have been good to me with the G500.

SetPoint 4.x was rubbish, but Logitech recently released SetPoint 6 which covers almost all of their mice (no support for the Bluetooth mice). SetPoint 5.x was only for their new gaming mice (G9, G9x, G500).

Unless I'm missing something, it still uses the weird 5.x version to change my G500's settings. The new 6.x stuff doesn't appear to do much other than add an extra icon to the system tray.

Edit: I tried out the Performance MX as a replacement for my MX1000 but ended up not liking it as much. Bought the aforementioned G500 instead.

Fats on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    when i first got my mouse, its a wireless nano forget the actual model, setpoint destroyed some programs on my comp. i haven't dared instal it on any other windows machine.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I don't install Logitech's software anymore. Their mice work better without it.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've actually moved back from wireless mice to wired mice. I was starting to get frustrated with all the battery swapping I was doing. I had a G7 at home and the batteries wouldn't last more than about 4 hours at a stretch. While not a big deal (the G5 came with two swappable, rechargeable batteries), the constant swapping was getting in the way for me. I was using the VX Revolution for my laptop and I was starting to run into wrist issues because it was so small. I used the MX Revolution at work for a while but we've recently been asked to remove wireless mice from use (don't ask). It was great as a work mouse.

I picked up a MX-518 and it's simply awesome.

Now granted I play a fair amount of WoW (maybe 10h per week) and I'm getting into other games more and more, so the fact that I like the 518 over "modern" mice could be somewhat skewed.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hate the MX-518. I have it, too, and while the buttons are really nice, the material they used for the top is terrible. It easily collects dirt and grime, particularly from sweat.

I do like Logitech mice, though, but my next one won't be made of that material.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166