As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Any vaccinations -required- for Mexico?

mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So we're travelling soonish. Soon enough that that I should have taken care of this much earlier. But oh well.

Anyway, are any vaccinations absolutely legally required for a cruise stopping in Mexico? I'm not concerned about what's recommended...I have nearly every vaccination known to man and the wife has about the same. I just don't have documentation...do I need anything?

mcdermott on

• BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't think its truly necessary, but it is advisable to get vaccinated if you're going to a place like Mexico.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't think anything is legally needed to go, but I would highly suggest getting your Hep A & B shots, and probably a booster on your tetanus. Those are what I got when I went to Cuba.

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Forkes wrote: »
    I don't think anything is legally needed to go, but I would highly suggest getting your Hep A & B shots, and probably a booster on your tetanus. Those are what I got when I went to Cuba.

Cool. Like I said, more worried about documentation and legal requirements. I have current Hep A&B, along with nearly everything else (including Smallpox and Anthrax), but I just don't have anything on paper...it's all in the computer.

She's current on Hep A/B as well, so I'll say we're probably good to go.

mcdermott on
  • ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Really though, if you have any concerns about the legality of it, just ask a travel agent. They will know for sure.

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You don't legally need any vaccinations to go to Mexico (from the US, at least).

The CDC can bring you up to speed. Despite their recommendations, in general there's not much to worry about - particularly if you're:

1. Staying in touristy places (like the Riviera Maya or Los Cabos).
    2. Staying in Mexico for short periods of time (limited contact with people, water and food).

That is: if you're not wading through filth-ridden, backwater villages and drinking water from brackish, standing ponds you really don't have anything to worry about.

Many places recommend Hepatitis A (usually from dirty water), Hepatitis B (usually from sexual contact or blood transfusions - you were likely vaccinated in school), Rabies (usually from bats, possibly from other mammal bites), and Typhoid (again, usually from dirty water). Your DPT (Diptheria/Pertusis/Tetanus) should be up to date already since you're supposed to get one every 10 years, right (try to avoid contact with people with diptheria and getting bleeding wounds if they're not, I guess)?

Some people have concerns about drinking water straight from a tap even at resorts - the water's generally not a problem, but drink only bottled water, soda, liquor or beer if you want to be sure. Some places in Mexico have malaria warnings - generally jungle areas in the Yucatan, near Belize (most places require you to wait a year or two before donating blood after visiting such places).

President Rex on
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Do they have a vaccine against getting killed by drug runners?

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Only a supplement.

President Rex on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    bullet vaccinations and kidnapping insurance. where are you going exactly?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Some people have concerns about drinking water straight from a tap even at resorts - the water's generally not a problem, but drink only bottled water, soda, liquor or beer if you want to be sure. Some places in Mexico have malaria warnings - generally jungle areas in the Yucatan, near Belize (most places require you to wait a year or two before donating blood after visiting such places).

Careful, bottled/canned soda might be ok, but soda from the typical fountain like in fast food places and most restaurants uses city tap water, which may or may not be filtered.

travathian on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    kaliyama wrote: »

Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas. Nowhere too sketchy.

Anywho, I suppose I'll call this solved. Thanks, all!

mcdermott on
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    kaliyama wrote: »

Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas. Nowhere too sketchy.

Anywho, I suppose I'll call this solved. Thanks, all!

No vaccinations necessary. You'll be fine. Stay away from the water and street food.

Slider on
  • SunstrandSunstrand Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Getting your hep A/B vaccine is good to have anyway even if you don't travel. Twinrix, name may vary outside of Canada, is a series of 3 shots that protects against hep A/B. 1 shot whenever, second shot after a month, then you are protected for about a year, then 6 months after the second you get the third which is a booster that protects you up to 15 years.

There is also a vaccine that helps with travelers diarrhea, it's called Dukoral, it's name may also be diffrent outside of Canada. If you or the people you are going with don't have the strongest of stomachs you might want to consider taking it.

I was going to bring up the anti malaria pills you can take but the cdc site says the resort areas of Mexico are clean.

Sunstrand on
    BorderlandsClaptraps.jpg
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    man if you've got the stomach for it grab some street food

sure you might get some urps but it's soooo gooooood

Raneados on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wouldn't be worried about like, contaminated water or food or anything, assuming you're staying at/patronizing all the americanized hotels and bars (I assume vallarta has them too, lord knows cabo does.)

That being said, cabo at least gets shady incredibly quickly when you venture off the tourist strip, especially as an american.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you're going to be away from tourist areas, either buy some iodine droplets from an outdoor store or stick with beer. Make sure it has a head on it.

GungHo on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    you can't go to mexico and not buy street food. cooked food is fine, watch out for produce. it is a crime if you don't go to mexico and eat from a taco cart.

plus you will get raped in the wallet if you eat at resorts the whole time

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just got back from a week in Mexico and didn't get any boosters/vaccinations/shots. I'm still alive. FWIW

Drink bottled water.

Michael H on
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Be careful with the water. It's already been mentioned, but the water in big resorts is probably fine. If a bunch of Americans and Europeans who never needed to develop stomachs of steel are going to be staying there, they'd have a hard time hiring people to clean the bathrooms if they didn't treat the water.

Municipal water supplies are another story.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Michael H wrote: »
    I just got back from a week in Mexico and didn't get any boosters/vaccinations/shots. I'm still alive. FWIW

If you don't post any more after next week we'll know why . . .

As has been mentioned, some areas of Mexico have serious mosquito issues and malaria is pretty damn serious; especially considering the drugs to help prevent it are cheap and easily accessible to travelers. A Walgreens location in your area will probably have a pharmacist trained in travel vaccinations, talk to them.

travathian on