As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sick, painful throw ups, what can I do to help?

FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi peeps, this morning at work I started getting stomach pains that came and went, accompanied with nausea. I ended up going back home sometime after lunch because things were slowly getting worse. Soon after I got home I threw up but it was really painful. At each "burst" it was as if someone was hitting me really hard in the stomach. It was painful enough for me to cry out in pain.

Since this after noon i've been trying to sleep while avoiding drinking or eating anything because I don't want another round of these painful throwups. I still feel some nausea though and have to occasionally shift position to avoid feeling too sick.

I'm not sure what I've got since I thought these sickness are usually accompanied with diarrhea. Is there anything I can do to stop feeling like complete crap?

PSN: PatParadize
Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
Steam Friend code: 45386507
Fireflash on

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Drink plenty of liquids and go see a doctor. If its too much to handle, go see a doctor quicker at a walk in clinic. Or if its even worse, go to the ER.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I always like to drink ginger ale or 7-up when I'm sick like that (tastes just as good coming up as it did going down!). Also I would talk to a doctor.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, ditto. Go to a doctor ASAP.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sounds similar to problems with the gall bladder (particularly strong vomiting and writing pain). I'd have to echo other recommendations and suggest you visit a doctor. I mean, it could easily be food poisoning or a number of other lesser maladies, but trained medical professionals will be able to help you more.

President Rex on
  • Options
    SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Could it potentially be appendicitis? It's usually signalled by an intense pain in the lower-right abdomen which is somewhat reduced when pressure is applied to the area.

Squirrelmob on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well I threw up again about an hour ago and the nausea is mostly gone for now. Wasn't as painful as the first time but my stomach still feels sore. I'll skip the doctor for now but If I get sick again tomorrow I'm definately heading to the hospital. A bit of water once in a while aslo helped a bit.

Fireflash on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    sounds like a good plan.

Keep drinking liquids. What you don't want is the dry heaves.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Keep away from acidic drinks. Keep in mind that what goes down may very well come up, so make sure it doesn't hurt when you add a nice dose of stomach acid to it

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Emetrol is pretty darn effective for nausea relief in a lot of people. If yer still feeling nauseated it might be worthwhile to ask someone to go buy you some and give it a try.

travathian on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Food poisoning is another possibility. Just throwing that in there.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I always like to drink ginger ale or 7-up when I'm sick like that (tastes just as good coming up as it did going down!). Also I would talk to a doctor.

Bananas are also good. They come up smooth.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yes, lets go to the doctor after immediately throwing up. Now that's not a waste of money..

Just get some rest and drink some water. If you are feeling up to it, have a cracker or two. Throwing up is painful, hopefully it will stop soon :^:

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That really depends on what and how you threw up.

If you've got constant dry heaves or threw up bile (usually yellowish-green phlegm-looking stuff) it tends to be more serious than regular flu vomit. Same generally goes for if you have severe lower abdominal or upper chest pains (not just a sore feeling) that persist. Generally throwing up is a good sign, but occasionally it's a sign of greater gastro-intestinal problems (usually those are appendix or gall bladder related).

President Rex on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Hi peeps, this morning at work I started getting stomach pains that came and went, accompanied with nausea. I ended up going back home sometime after lunch because things were slowly getting worse. Soon after I got home I threw up but it was really painful. At each "burst" it was as if someone was hitting me really hard in the stomach. It was painful enough for me to cry out in pain.

Since this after noon i've been trying to sleep while avoiding drinking or eating anything because I don't want another round of these painful throwups. I still feel some nausea though and have to occasionally shift position to avoid feeling too sick.

I'm not sure what I've got since I thought these sickness are usually accompanied with diarrhea. Is there anything I can do to stop feeling like complete crap?

If you're unable to keep fluids down for 24 hours, it becomes a medical emergency.

Pain during vomiting can be quite normal - the act of vomiting is very violent on the body, and involves intense muscular action in the stomach and through the abdomen. Muscle pulls and tears are common. As long as the pain doesn't persist for long after vomiting, and as long as it subsides within 24 hours, it probably isn't serious.

That being said, if you are concerned, see a doctor. Better out then in, and better safe then sorry.

Robman on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So glad I haven't vomited in well over twenty years. Even after this long, I can still feel and taste the vomit if I see someone else vomit or I smell it. Also, make sure you avoid caffeine, nuts, spicy food, dairy, and tomatoes.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is pretty likely food poisoning.

Hunker down and weather it, and if you're not better by like, now, go to the doctor.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DrswordsDrswords Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Doctor. Doctor. Doctor.

If you arent well by now, DOCTOR!

I just went to the emergency room yesterday cause i had stomach problems. Throwing up and diarhea... very violent... all night long. Lots of stomach pain.

The cause for me was food poisoning, but there are a lot of things that can cause that, and if it persists strongly enough for long enough, you have to go to the doctor, cause it IS a serious problem.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah after a day you can become severely dehydrated where the ER visit is almost always required.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Soda is only helpful if it's flat though.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sprite and other fluids. No milk. Ever.

I would say crackers (well chewed) and soup are the best things to have down.

Go to a CVS with minute clinic. They can take care of you pretty well for what it's worth.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    BennmannBennmann Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fluids.

You also should ask a doctor about this anti-emetic over-the-counter (usually goes by Bonine):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meclizine

Don't take it before asking a doctor though because it may be a good thing you're throwing up. Hard to know when toxins in your body need to get out. This may be an option for the nausea should a doctor say it is though.

Bennmann on
  • Options
    3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pretty much what everyone else said.

It's probably food poisoning (I was just hit with a bad case a few weeks ago and it was extremely painful with violent vomit until my stomach cleared out) saw the doc and he said the same thing. Drink lots of clear fluids (stay away from apple juice it can give you the runs), should be done with in about 24 hours. If it persists definitely make your way to a doctor.

3drage on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Some Gatorade here and there is good, too.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You should really stick to water when you're sick. You don't want your body working any harder than it needs to so, Avoid sugar.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Plain water is inappropriate for someone vomiting. You are not vomiting out just water, thus taking in only water will cause electrolyte imbalances.

A mix of gatorade with water 50/50 is what is recommended.

travathian on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Demerdar wrote: »
    Yes, lets go to the doctor after immediately throwing up. Now that's not a waste of money..
    Just get some rest and drink some water. If you are feeling up to it, have a cracker or two. Throwing up is painful, hopefully it will stop soon :^:

He lives in Canada man. Attention to detail!

I dont know about you, but if I'm vomiting so hard it's causing me to cry out in pain it's usualy something more then the sniffles. And the fact that he's firing it out at both ends could mean it's any number of things. Could even be E-Coli.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The good old BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) is usually good for stomach and digestive problems. I'd be concerned about the pain during vomiting if it's as bad as you say. Any other symptoms? Headache, fever, sweats, fatigue?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Soda is only helpful if it's flat though.

You'd think so, but ginger ale calms me right down. I actually keep a bottle of it handy just in case I'm someday nauseous, like a bottle of elixir tucked into the rear of my refrigerator.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So OP are you still giving it the old technicolour yawn or what?

Robman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm feeling pretty fine now. My stomach was still a bit queasy today but no throwing up. Maybe it was some kind of food poisoning but the only thing I had eaten yet on that day were some sealed pastries from a vending machine.

Fireflash on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm feeling pretty fine now. My stomach was still a bit queasy today but no throwing up. Maybe it was some kind of food poisoning but the only thing I had eaten yet on that day were some sealed pastries from a vending machine.

What you had the day before is normally where the food poisoning lies.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It could have been anything. Your body is pretty awesome at getting rid of shit that makes it sick.

I've never had any vomiting that wasn't a painful, violent experience.

Asiina on
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    oh me either. Every damn muscle in my body resists vomiting even when it really needs to. I will be weak and shivery after even one bout. All my muscles tense up on me.

I do like to suggest mint tea, it may be a comfort food thing but my mother made us mint tea whe we were younger and I still go to it now. Drunk luke warm and breathing in the vapours when hot are great. And it seems to help with the vomit flavour you get stuck in the back of your mouth.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mom2Kat wrote: »
    oh me either. Every damn muscle in my body resists vomiting even when it really needs to. I will be weak and shivery after even one bout. All my muscles tense up on me.

I do like to suggest mint tea, it may be a comfort food thing but my mother made us mint tea whe we were younger and I still go to it now. Drunk luke warm and breathing in the vapours when hot are great. And it seems to help with the vomit flavour you get stuck in the back of your mouth.

If you are going to drink tea, make it ginger tea. It helps with nausea. No, really. Not as in hippy remedy.

Clinically, and Mythbusters proven!

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Peppermint tea also helps restore regular gut function, so it's a pretty ace suggestion since OP isn't deathly puke mode any more.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Peppermint along with the other strong mints shouldn't be used when nauseated because they agitate the stomach. Generic mint isn't a problem, its the spearmint/peppermint mostly. But once the nausea has settled down, go for it.

travathian on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Have you never seen Futurama? Perhaps you have a colony of hyper-intelligent worms living in your body, making you smarter and stronger every day!

Inquisitor77 on