As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fuck Off, Birds

Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
It is early, I am trying to sleep, and you seem determined to wake me up with that goddamn cheep-cheep-CHEEP-CHEEP-CHEEPing. I want you to go away.

Playing some peregrine falcon noises seems to have scared some of you off, but that doesn't help because it means I'm already awake. I want you to just not even start with the noises.

Is this possible? Is there anything I can do to minimize bird presence and noise nearby? The area I live has lots of big, old trees, lots of bushes, and some jerks even put out bird feeders.

Grid System on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Are there nests? Move the nests.
    Baby birds might die.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    buy an outdoor cat? or look into earplugs?

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    they have owl decoys which i think work. Don't quote me though.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Close your windows?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also, you'd be surprised at how far those birds might actually be. The shape of the terrain around you can change the distance a bird's song can travel - I live in what is basically a huge bowl shaped area, and you can hear bird songs from pretty far away because the noise travels around the bowl. So there might be absolutely nothing you can do about it. Except maybe play some music to drown them out, but you might have trouble sleeping to music.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You think that is bad, 10pm last night the fuckers here were chirping like crazy and keeping me from falling asleep.

travathian on
  • Options
    RynaRyna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Dunno where the OP is located, but fucking cats kill local indigenous wildlife.

feral cats should be destroyed. no mercy.

Ryna on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ryna...I think that was the point.

Either way though, get a fan and run it near your bed. The white noise should drown them out enough.

Sipex on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ryna wrote: »

There's a dash of hypocrisy here that is delicious.

OP: have you tried ear plugs or turning a fan on to make some "white noise"?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd love to get a cat, but I'm in a small apartment with a no pets policy.

Can't close the windows overnight; it gets unbearably stuffy in here. I can close the windows when the birds make noise, but at that point it's too late.

I already have a fan, and it usually does a decent job of drowning out the noise. Problem with bird noises is that the fan creates a low-pitch drone that's pierced pretty handily by the chirruping.

I've had little success sleeping with earplugs--being a light sleeper it's something I've had to try--but maybe I just haven't used the right kind.

Grid System on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can you use an air conditioner instead of opening a window?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Garden hose. They won't come back.

Chalkbot on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    being a light sleeper it's something I've had to try--but maybe I just haven't used the right kind.

From what someone said in another thread, it takes a week or so to get comfortable with them- I guess your ear has to adjust. Maybe keep trying them for awhile?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    DirtBikeDirtBike Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Ryna wrote: »

There's a dash of hypocrisy here that is delicious.

OP: have you tried ear plugs or turning a fan on to make some "white noise"?

The fan thing does work very well. I also used to have a problem with birds waking me up early in the morning.

DirtBike on