As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New career opportunities? back to school?

DmanDman Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been let go from my current job and will be seeking new opportunities in may.

It stings a little but I was never really qualified for the job so it's not unexpected. I earned some decent money and got some work experience, shit happens, time to move on.

I never finished college, so going back is an option I'm considering, but the reality is that I failed out the first go around and I'm not exactly keen to go back.

I'm not really sure what I want to do with my life. I always imagined I would have my shit together by the time I was 26 but apparently not.

So, tell me of exciting career opportunities!

Dman on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How long has it been since you attended college? You might find you have the drive for it now.

Esh on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What are your fortes? What were they in school? What kind of stuff do you enjoy?

Get some hobbies (or look at the ones you have), they'll help tell you more about what you'll enjoy doing.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    How long has it been since you attended college? You might find you have the drive for it now.

I've been working (out of colledge) for the last 3 and a half years.

Part of the problem is that I'm not really sure what I'd enroll in. My preference would probably be engineering, but that is what I failed out of the first time =/

Dman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    What are your fortes? What were they in school? What kind of stuff do you enjoy?

Get some hobbies (or look at the ones you have), they'll help tell you more about what you'll enjoy doing.

I'm not really sure what I enjoy...

hobbies include playing magic, computer games, board games, dance, tennis, downhill skiing, cooking, reading, swimming...not sure what else

I dabbled in computer science, engineering and chemistry in college but never went past 2nd year in anything.

Dman on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    real world makes all the stupid things in college that seem like the end of the world seem inconsequential. that and its easier to buckle down and do teh right thing. my brother finally got his bachelors at 31 after having all sorts of issues the first time around. he was way more motivated to get it done being older and more mature

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    How much do you enjoy dance, tennis, skiiing and cooking? They can all lead to viable career choices and it will take you down a different path from before. You could look into becoming an instructor or a line cook/chef/etc.

Sipex on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What were you doing for a job before you got let go? Was it something that you liked or would want to continue doing?

It seems like your options are:

1) find a new job that you are qualified for (doesn't require a degree)
    2) go back to college, get a useful degree, get a job that you are qualified for (hopefully one that requires your degree)

Unless you are comfortable working the kinds of jobs you've been working so far for the rest of your life, I would say college is the way to go.

Smurph on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It will never be a better time to get an education than right now.

That bit of advice applies between the ages of 18 and retiring.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    How much do you enjoy dance, tennis, skiiing and cooking? They can all lead to viable career choices and it will take you down a different path from before. You could look into becoming an instructor or a line cook/chef/etc.

I worked as a line cook at a 4 star restaurant one summer, a lot depends on the cooks you work with but it is always going to be stressful. If I need short term or part time work I'm up for it but I hadn't really considered it as a career. I guess it's got possibilities.

I don't know if I have the patience to be an instructor (tennis/skiing/dance) and I'm not skilled enough to do anything else with those. I'm only a couple qualifications away from being a lifeguard but I'm not sure teaching kids to swim is a career even if I wanted to.

I guess I've been brainwashed into thinking working any job that pays less than ~$20/hour would make me a failure. Probably not the best mindset.

Edit: i've work'd my share of shitty minimum wage jobs when I was young, in case that sounded like I hadn't, just the idea of going to a lower paying job than what I have been doing irks me.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Smurph wrote: »
    What were you doing for a job before you got let go? Was it something that you liked or would want to continue doing?

2) go back to college, get a useful degree, get a job that you are qualified for (hopefully one that requires your degree)

Unless you are comfortable working the kinds of jobs you've been working so far for the rest of your life, I would say college is the way to go.

well, I've basically been an underpaid underqualified engineer for the last 3 years....it's not the shittiest of jobs and the pay is way better than most unskilled labor. I would probably take the job if another firm hired me at the same wage.....seems unlikely though.

adytum, I hear ya. if the economie blows chunks that's always a good time to go back to school.....at least in theory.

Dman on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dman,

I went back to university at exactly the same age and got a CS degree. It's definitely easier the second time around. That said, you might also want to consider looking at the trades, like plumbing/pipe trades or electrician or something. There's a huge shortage of people in these fields in Canada, and the pay is good (more than the $20 an hour figure you cited if that concerns you). There's also a big difference between working as, say, a plumber - where it is your job and no one is expecting it to pre-occupy your every waking moment, and working in a career (like being an engineer, a programmer, an accountant, etc) where there is a certain expectation that it will form part of your identity and be something you take home with you. I may be saying that because, in spite of finishing the degree and working in the field, I still constantly fantasize about taking this route.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dman wrote: »
    Smurph wrote: »

well, I've basically been an underpaid underqualified engineer for the last 3 years....it's not the shittiest of jobs and the pay is way better than most unskilled labor. I would probably take the job if another firm hired me at the same wage.....seems unlikely though.

adytum, I hear ya. if the economie blows chunks that's always a good time to go back to school.....at least in theory.

Man I've actually seen that a lot in my short career. Guy doesn't go to / finish school for whatever reason but still knows enough to do the job, so somebody else hires him and underpays him because he knows he would have a hell of a time getting the same job elsewhere without a degree. Even if you do find another job as an engineer, there is a good chance it will be the same situation. I'd say the sooner you get back to school and get the degree, the better.

Smurph on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    are there no awesome jobs that pay 20/hour that don't require a college degree? Like I'm not against being a plumber or something....no one has any suggestions? edit n/m

I guess I need to consider going back to study engineering seriously, it's what my boss told me to do when he fired me....get my degree and he'd hire me back again, but ug, 3-4 years of physics, calculus, statistics...final exams...my savings withering to nothing, my gf putting her life on hold because we wouldn't be able to afford a house or children......

It's not exactly appealing.

Dman on
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I basically failed out of school the first time as well. I wasn't ready and had no reason to be there. Everyone kept telling me to find what I enjoy and do that, but that was terrible advice. I didn't enjoy going to class and doing homework, so I didn't, so I failed. Then I worked crappy jobs for 5 years. Then I went back.

Once I realized that going to school is not about having fun, and that getting a degree is about making enough money and not doing what you love I found everything much easier. I'm finally making enough to not have to worry about money constantly and man is that a relief.

Know what I love? Being able to buy stuff, pay bills, and having enough money to do things I enjoy without being broke.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dman wrote: »
    are there no awesome jobs that pay 20/hour that don't require a college degree? Like I'm not against being a plumber or something....no one has any suggestions? edit n/m

I guess I need to consider going back to study engineering seriously, it's what my boss told me to do when he fired me....get my degree and he'd hire me back again, but ug, 3-4 years of physics, calculus, statistics...final exams...my savings withering to nothing, my gf putting her life on hold because we wouldn't be able to afford a house or children......

It's not exactly appealing.

There are plenty of trades and physical labor / union jobs that can pay that much. Also, there are a lot of unglamorous jobs that pay well if they also require specific skills.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If there were $20 an hour (starting wage) jobs which didn't require college or too much experience then everyone would be going for them. If wage is so important to you then you either have to go through college or work your way up through a job. Costco has good wages in the without requiring you to go to management level. Takes a bit to get there (my mom has been working there 6 years and she's at about 50K a year) but it's something.

Also, you should do this for you, if (god forbid) your gf left you tomorrow and you chose something for her it would really really suck.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Mugaaz wrote: »
    I basically failed out of school the first time as well. I wasn't ready and had no reason to be there. Everyone kept telling me to find what I enjoy and do that, but that was terrible advice. I didn't enjoy going to class and doing homework, so I didn't, so I failed. Then I worked crappy jobs for 5 years. Then I went back.

Once I realized that going to school is not about having fun, and that getting a degree is about making enough money and not doing what you love I found everything much easier. I'm finally making enough to not have to worry about money constantly and man is that a relief.

Know what I love? Being able to buy stuff, pay bills, and having enough money to do things I enjoy without being broke.

That is eerily similar to my story...except I haven't gone back to school yet.

I guess maybe I should just suck it up and be poor and miserable in school and get my degree. People who say college is suppose to be fun should probably be kicked in the nads.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What do you want to do? Continue with Engineering?

I'm canadian too and I know some of our community colleges have great courses depending on where you want to go. I took Computer Science for 2 years at a college called Fanshawe and I'm making about $20/hr as a starting wage.

edit: One of the worst things about our public school system is it tries to convince you that University is the only viable option which is completely untrue.

Sipex on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

edit: One of the worst things about our public school system is it tries to convince you that University is the only viable option which is completely untrue

Is it possible to lime the shit out of something?

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What I want to do is mostly what mugaaz said:

"Being able to buy stuff, pay bills, and having enough money to do things I enjoy without being broke"

I don't really know what if any career path I want to go down, I haven't had any job or education where I woke up in the morning excited to go to work/school.

Comparing test result data in tables and writing reports seems to be 50% of engineering work and it's pretty dry. Maybe some other engineering is more exciting than civil but I'm not getting my hopes up. It's a 9-5 type job that pays the bills and seems like my default option if I can't think of anything else. I can't get excited about designing waterworks and roads......

Dman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What do you want to do? Continue with Engineering?

I'm canadian too and I know some of our community colleges have great courses depending on where you want to go. I took Computer Science for 2 years at a college called Fanshawe and I'm making about $20/hr as a starting wage.

edit: One of the worst things about our public school system is it tries to convince you that University is the only viable option which is completely untrue.

there is a community college type thing here, it's actually pretty damn competitive to get into because they do have a good track record. I'll check their courses and see if anything sparks. I did look into their engineering program already and really there is no reason to take it over engineer in the actual university.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It sounds like you need to look into your options first, see if there's a career which sparks your interest.

Sipex on