As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tad William's Memory Sorrow and Thorn discussion thread.

MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
I remember reading this series back in high school, and it was one of the first fantasy series I read all the way through. It had characters I liked, and mixed in a good amount of reality (politics of a actual medieval world, combined with fantastic elements like dragons and elves) with its fantasy.

It's been a while since i've seen a group of heroes that I actually liked this much (I can't say the same for ASOIAF as who knows whose the actual heroes in that). and it was pretty much just the right length for what i was looking for at the time.

This was a fantasy series by Tad Williams set in the world of Osten Ard during the end of the Reign of King Jon the Presbyter (or Prestor Jon as some call him), an old and heroic king who holds some dark secret. Jon is set to leave his throne to his eldest son Elias, who many feel will become a great king. When Jon finally passes away, Elias successfully claims the throne, but it soon becomes apparent that he is not the king the people were hoping for. Soon after, Elias brother Prince Josua vanishes.

All this is seen through the eyes of Simon, a castle scullion and apprentice to Doctor Morgenes, the castle physician. When Simon accidently stumbles onto the whereabouts of Prince Josua by accident, it starts a large, epic, and sometimes rather dark adventure for the young man.

It is well known that this series was one of the major inspirations for "A Song of Ice and Fire" (I believe Martin stated somewhere that this series convinced him good fantasy could still be written, Plus he put a shout out to this series in "A Clash of Kings"), and it was pretty much what put Williams on the map. I still consider it one of my favorite series.

Matthew on

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It changed the way I looked at fantasy quite a bit when I was younger.

After reading it, I actually recognized a qualitative difference in writing for the first time. I could no longer read stuff like Dragonlance the same way again.

Its a pity his newest fantasy series feels so off to me.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i read some tad williams. The one where people put their brains into the internet and shit. It sucked.

NotYou on
  • Options
    wallakawallaka Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was not a fan of Otherland. It was too long by far, too much shit happened, and was boring on top of that.

I enjoyed the hell out of MS&T, though.

wallaka on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It was good, but it kind of fell apart a bit in the third act, and the ending is pretty tacked on.

Good, but not perfect, and not as good as Otherland.

Excellent use of Jesus-with-the-Serial-Number-Filed-Off though.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Heh. It was a nice take on the Arthurian Legend. I enjoyed it immensely. Which lead me to read War of the Flowers, which is awesome. Which lead me to buy Shadowmarch, which is pending.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MS&T is one of my favorite fantasy series, and I usually reread it every couple years. I actually read the series backwards the first time, which was an interesting experience. I got "To Green Angel Tower Part 1" as a gift, moved on to "To Green Angel Tower Part 2", then "Stone of Farewell" showed up at my local library, and finally I snagged a used copy of "The Dragonbone Chair" at a flea market. Needless to say, those long recaps at the beginning of each book were extremely helpful.

Cantide on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    NotYou wrote: »
    i read some tad williams. The one where people put their brains into the internet and shit. It sucked.

I tried to read that

I wasn't as enthralled as I thought I would be...

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love MS&T, but most of my attempts to re-read it stall and die halfway through the first book. The Dragonbone Chair has some serious pacing problems in my opinion. The second two books are much better, but the middle of the first just drags.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I liked these books just fine, but I'm skeptical that they were really influential on GRRM. MS&T seemed pretty generic fantasy apart from the eskimo trolls.

Maybe I should reread them. I wonder if I have a copy somewhere.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    They're similar to aSoIaF in that they really benefit from rereads. The second time through you see so much shit that didn't seem to matter on the initial read, but you realize it was all setting up for later events.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zedar wrote: »
    I love MS&T, but most of my attempts to re-read it stall and die halfway through the first book. The Dragonbone Chair has some serious pacing problems in my opinion. The second two books are much better, but the middle of the first just drags.

I seem to remember a number of scenes where a character was crawling around in the dark, not sure if he was going insane. I may be exageratting a bit, it's been more than a few years since I read these books. But I remember those parts as just dragging on and taking forever.

But this was one of my favorite fantasy series as a kid. Along with the Death Gate Cycle.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, the books would definitely benefit from less stumbling in dark caves.

On the other hand, I think Pryrates was the first fantasy villain that really scared the crap out of me.
    "Oh, look, the good guys are going to get hi...
    ...What the fuck just happened?!"

OldSlacker on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah Pryrates was a scary mofo. The scene where he confronts the Lector in one of the later books was intense. Him and the norn queen are two villains that really stayed with me.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I read the Otherland series as well. I liked it in the beginning - probably because I was younger - but by the time that gargantiuan, stumbling beast was over, I was done with sci-fi for a good while.

My buddy tried to get me to read... I forget what it was exactly, something Green Angel Throne. Couldn't be bothered after Otherland.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I loved Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn but the only part I disliked was when at one point Simon thought he was going insane and it was basically 10 pages of stuff written in italics to signify that this was all going on in Simon's head and it was way too boring and dragged out and I ended up skipping most of it.

Otherwise it was great, and I definitely want to reread this now after ASOIAF.

Cristo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Zedar wrote: »
    Yeah Pryrates was a scary mofo. The scene where he confronts the Lector in one of the later books was intense. Him and the norn queen are two villains that really stayed with me.

I was so traumatized when he stomped the head in of a puppy just because he could.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like Otherland. All you be haters.

I should try this series, I think.

I also, so far, have liked the Shadowmarch books.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I like Otherland. All you be haters.

I should try this series, I think.

I also, so far, have liked the Shadowmarch books.

Seriously. What the fuck is wrong with you people. Otherland is a god-damn masterpiece.

Shadowmarch is okay, but the weird feminist theme is kind of preachy and off-putting.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I thought Otherland was pretty great, but I was reading it as it was coming out (is he still writing Otherland books?), and that's something I hate. Because by the time a follow up book in the series gets released, I'd have read another 40 books between that time and when I read the previous book in the series, and I'll remember nothing. So that's what happened with Otherland, I just completely lost track of what was happening.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Otherland is a god-damn masterpiece.

The ending was stupid.

And I recall also finding the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn books to have massive pacing problems. I skipped something like 150 out of the last 200 pages of the last book, which is not a good sign.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I thought Otherland was pretty great, but I was reading it as it was coming out (is he still writing Otherland books?), and that's something I hate. Because by the time a follow up book in the series gets released, I'd have read another 40 books between that time and when I read the previous book in the series, and I'll remember nothing. So that's what happened with Otherland, I just completely lost track of what was happening.

It even comes with a summary in the front though.
    MrMister wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Otherland is a god-damn masterpiece.

The ending was stupid.

Blasphemy. Some parts of the ending may have been kind of random and out of nowhere, but the other parts were so awesome it didn't matter.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Otherland was almost as exciting as moby dick

NotYou on