As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

record store day

bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Social Entropy++
saturday is record store day

it's an international event dedicated to buying from independent music stores. there are events at stores, probably good deals, and talking about it makes you cool
Jack White wrote:
I think it’s high time the mentors, big brothers, big sisters, parents, Guardians, and neighborhood ne’er do wells, start taking younger people That look up to them To a real record store and show them what an important part of life music really is. I trust no one who hasn’t time for music. What a shame to Leave a child, or worse, a generation orphaned from one of life’s great beauties. And to the record stores, artists, labels, dj’s, and journalists; we’re all in this together. Show respect for the tangible music that you’ve dedicated your careers and lives to, and help It from becoming nothing more than disposable digital data.
Tom Waits wrote:
Folks who work here are professors. Don't replace all the knowers with guessors keep'em open they're the ears of the town.
The Boss wrote:
I buy CDs all the time. I'll go into a record store and just buy $500 worth of CDs. I will! I am singlehandedly supporting what's left of the record business.

I hate to see record stores disappear, and I'm old-school in that I think you should pay for your music. But what my kids do is download a lot of things, pay for them, and then if they love something, they'll get the CD. That may be the future.
Fat Mike wrote:
If it wasn't for independent record stores, I would be a San Fernando valley real estate agent.

the_record_store.jpg

get out to a song shop and spend some damn money

sC4Q4nq.jpg
bsjezz on

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have some records

Finding a reasonably priced record player that isn't a huge monstrosity has been challenging

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The store I am going to promises a special acoustic performance by Johnny Monaco

Yes, the Johnny Monaco

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think I might!

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I dont think we got any record stores here :S

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I found out about my local independent record store participating in independent record store day at the independent music shop I frequently attend, where I bought my Korean Epiphone Strat

i am so fucking indie you guys who wants to touch me

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    I imagine there's a few here but i dont really have time to go to them :(

if I was home I'd go to vintage vinyl for sure though, love that shop

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Going to park ave in orlando tomorrow to pick up some records

like tv on the radio's dear science, finally getting a reprint!

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ubik wrote: »
    I have some records

Finding a reasonably priced record player that isn't a huge monstrosity has been challenging

i'd suggest getting something a bit older from ebay or an antique/second hand/thrift store and replacing the stylus or cartridge if you need to. you can get some bloody excellent quality out of those old machines, there are millions of them around going unused

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    anyway record store day isn't necessarily about vinyl. it's about making sure local stores who sell music stay open.

cds still sound really good, too, you know! you can even play them in your modern 'Play Stations' and 'X Boxes'

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    There's a used record store around here that I rummage through once a month

It's 99% garbage, but I will find a spare Bob Dylan or Who record here or there for $3, completely validating the trip

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I need to find a good one around here, as well as a new needle for my player

also Kosh do you seriously have your record player plugged into an amp

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If I don't have time to go to a store tomorrow, does buying a CD off Amazon count?

Peccavi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    hey i think i have that tuner

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Does it count if I use some of my credits in the zune marketplace?

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So do they check your Indy cred at the door or do they wait until you're about to check out so they can also look down at your music selections?

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hunter wrote: »
    So do they check your Indy cred at the door or do they wait until you're about to check out so they can also look down at your music selections?

I'm going to wear an ironic Whitesnake shirt

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We have an indie record store here!

That's where I'm spending literally all day tomorrow!

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We have an indie record store here!

That's where I'm spending literally all day tomorrow!

high_fidelity.jpg

Hunter on
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Koshian wrote: »
    66a29bc9.jpg

yeaaaaaaaah man, check out this sweet setup

carefully positioned orchid for maximum fresh beats

oh man is that a princeton reverb?

Typhoid Manny on
    from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    it's fucking difficult to find a record store with good country and bluegrass sections

usually the clerk just gives you a funny look and leads you to the Toby Keith and you have to explain that you wanted the country section, not the awful bullshit section

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hurrrrgh, I'm fairly sure there's no independent shop around where I live. When I was in uni there were two AMAZING ones within a 5 minute walk of my house, as well as Spillers Records, which is the oldest record shop in the world. It's been around since 1894 and the few times I actually got down there it was pretty excellent

Quirk on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    1894?

so they were selling what... tinfoil cylinders?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    wax cylinders, duh

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My favourite record store (that consumed a large proportion of my income during my uni years) was a shop that had a strong collection of VHSes, dog eared tea coloured books, & quite a bias towards 60s pop rock. It was lovely.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not gonna lie, I would greatly enjoy life if I worked in a record store.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not gonna lie, I would greatly enjoy life if I worked in a record store.

Have you watched High Fidelity?

From experience I can say that working in an independent business is highly dependent on the boss & clientelle. I worked in an independent cafe & I have yet to experience more job satisfaction. But I worked in an independant pub & contemplated suicide.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Once, a long time ago.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have heard persistent rumors that there is one vinyl store here in Hongdae, but I haven't been able to find it yet. They are a sparse commodity in Seoul.

But I did find a bitchin' record store in Osaka last time I was there, and picked up Blue Valentine and an album called Like a Girl, I Want You to Keep Coming. I would go there today if I could!

dsc04476h.jpg

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    holy shit it's kind of cheating because i just found them at an op-shop this morning for a buck each, but

album-ship-ahoy.jpg

Al-Green-Im-Still-In-Love-479585.jpg

that's is going to be hard to trump when i go out this afternoon

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tom Waits is right-- he's always right-- but that quote of his needs a comma.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    what am i, an editor

oh wait

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I can't wait to pick up the new percolating dilly bars album

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tom Waits is right-- he's always right-- but that quote of his needs a comma.

I was more thrown by Jack White's irregular capitalization!

Now I really want to buy some vinyl. I think they have a weird Tintin album of some kind at the local tea shop, maybe next week I'll see if it's a million won...

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Koshian wrote: »
    66a29bc9.jpg

yeaaaaaaaah man, check out this sweet setup

carefully positioned orchid for maximum fresh beats

I love you

Swill on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I finally got a turn table.

I have no idea what the-- what is it? Tracking weight? I have no idea what that is.

Also, everything skips all the time. I feel like it shouldn't, but I have no frame of reference in this matter.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    if it's skipping, you'll want to up the tracking weight

basically it should be calibrated: at zero the tonearm and cartridge should be hovering parallel to the disc but not touching it. each stylus will have its own optimal tracking weight, but set it to around 2 and you should be good to go

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh, thanks.

When I first started reading up on turn tables, I basically went into a catatonic trance. I woke up covered in vomit and liner notes.

Too many words that don't mean anything too fast.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    oh hey luna music is doing a whole big shindig tomorrow I guess

live bands inside and DJs outside all day, free goodies and all manner of sales

wooooooo

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love record stores. I used to have a few favorites back home. There was a pretty solid local chain and two or three independent stores that were really cool. One of them has free experimental/noise shows every Sunday.

Ol' Sparky on