As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dinners that make good lunch leftovers

DVGDVG No. 1 Honor StudentNether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm investigating starting to make dinners that will make for good lunches the next day, so I can hopefully spend less money on lunch meat and other packed lunch items.

So besides the obvious (pasta in a rubbermaid container, roast meat being used for sandwiches) what are some things you reuse to pack with you for the office the next day?

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
DVG on

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Stews. I cook them up in big batches and then cook brown rice every few days to eat with them.

adytum on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is there a microwave available to heat up whatever you bring?

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Stir fry
    Soup
    Casseroles
    Stew
    Chili

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Honestly, anything you don't eat the night before. As long as you enjoyed the meal, use it the next day! The only things I don't like are rice that isn't in a sauce, since it dries up in the microwave.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    RericReric Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My main gotos for reusable meals are pizza and meatloaf. Both reheat really well and they both are large enough standard preparations so that there will be left overs.

Reric on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HikkinsHikkins Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fajitas are fantastic to take in to work the following day - especially since you can eat them cold and they're still delicious.

Hikkins on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    kuhlmeye wrote: »
    Honestly, anything you don't eat the night before. As long as you enjoyed the meal, use it the next day! The only things I don't like are rice that isn't in a sauce, since it dries up in the microwave.

Put water on it first.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll just add pasta here, choose whatever sauce you want.

Movitz on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love leftover enchiladas.

Meatloaf, hamburgers, chicken, they all do well in the microwave.

Pizza, to me, is better at room temperature than hot.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Get a pork tenderloin, grill it, eat some of it fancy style for dinner and then use the rest of it for a week as deliciously carved pork slices on bread of your choice with BBQ sauce.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

Put water on it first.
    I prefer the damp paper towel method.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Get good microwaveable containers. Mine's all pyrex because eventhough they're flagged "microwave safe" I feel uneasy nuking food in plastic containers.

Stuff that needs to be dressed store and re-heat better if you store them separately. So pasta and sauce stores and reheats better if you store the pasta and sauce separately. Also pasta reheats better if it's not quite done when you store it, otherwise it can get mushy on reheat.

Salads work better if you store wet/dressing separate from the greens and combine/dress right when you're about to eat.

If you're reheating a solid chunk of meat and some sides I've found reheating them separately works better then together, as your side will often reheat faster then the chunk of meat.

Djeet on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm a big fan of Pork Loin Roasts, either reheated with Roasted Potatoes and Gravy or just as cold pork slices, salted.

Another one I like is seasoned pan-fried boneless/skinless chicken breast with a side of pan-fried seasoned hashbrowns and onions.

I also like pot-roast and potatoes with gravy, but can't stand regular Roast Beef after it's been refrigerated.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

Put water on it first.

If there is room in the Microwave, just placing a glass of water in it with your dish works well (less chance of "crap too much water..."). Also works well with pasta lefts overs that arn't saucy, or pizza (helps soften the crust.)

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Poultry of almost any kind makes a sandwhich the next day.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lasagna (and any kind of casserole) is always good the next day. A night in the fridge to let the flavors muddle together is good for that. Enchiladas too.

That bastardized Mexican lasagna is good for this too. I suppose it's got a real name though I don;t know it. You brown ground beef with chili seasoning, then layer it with cheese and some chopped chiles/salsa and/or beans with soft tortillas in a pan (like lasagna) and bake it until it melts together. Bring along some sour cream in a separate container the next day.

Another thing I re-heat is chicken and stuffing. Lay some boneless skinless chicken breasts in a casserole dish, mix a little milk with a can of cream-of-mushroom soup and cover the chicken with it, then mix up a box of stovetop stuffing and layer that on top. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350 (until the chicken gets done and the stuffing its a little crispy on top. It's good and if you save out a breast with the topping for the next day it's good as well.

Let me put in a word for those Rubbermaid Easy-Find Lid containers. The gimmick is that all the sizes share only 3 sizes of lid (therefore you don;t have to dig around to find a match) and the lids snap to each other or to the bottom of the container... but the overall construction and tightness of lidification is great, especially if you get the 48 piece set for $20 at the warehouse store. The "semi-disosable" containers out there are much flimsier for not much less money, and the Rubbermaid containers with the little locking snaps... well the snaps break off after a while.

Backstop on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fried rice, I like it better with that little bit of micro-crispness.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Get a pork tenderloin, grill it, eat some of it fancy style for dinner and then use the rest of it for a week as deliciously carved pork slices on bread of your choice with BBQ sauce.

This.

My wife and I go to the grocery store usually on Saturday or Sunday when you can get good deals on meat. A lot of time they have pork or turkey tenderloin preseasoned packaged things on sale that we use for our Sunday supper and monday lunch with some potatoes or pasta. We also get a big uncut pork loin and have the deli chop it into thirds or half or whatever convenient size and freeze them separately.

Then we just thaw them out and make our own chops or whatever. One 6-7 dollar loin can make 12 delicious meals for us. Rice or potatoes plus whatever vegetable is cheap rounds it out. Makes my coworkers jealous.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Avoid pasta (especially tomato-based sauces) they never reheat properly. You can get around this by reheating the sauce and noodles separately but it's still iffy.

Thick chunks of meat (hamburgers, thick pork chops, whole chicken breast) also don't fully survive the microwave. Slice meats thin. Slightly-undercooked (as in, maybe a minute shy of being perfect) meats also give you more room to fully reheat without ruining.

Stuff with lots of liquid built-in works best. Reheat in batches if there are multiple components (do the burger and the bun in separate batches, for example). Soups seem ideal but by the time the chicken chunks heat through the veggies are going to be reduced to mush.

Avoid plastic whenever possible, try to reheat in glass or ceramic. Plastic in the microwave smells like melting plastic well before it actually melts, and it'll ruin your lunch because all you can think about is how bad it smells.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Soup is a fantastic re-usable dinner idea that works as lunch.

Its easy to heat up, doesn't lose any of its taste through microwaving (quite a lot of meals categorically taste worse after they've been reheated, soup doesn't have this problem), and its filling if you have bread to dip with it.

I quite often take leftover soup (or instant soup when theres no soup been made recently) to work for lunch and I just pack 5-6 slices of buttered bread with the soup and have that. Fills you up very well.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Leftover pork, chicken, or beef can all be used on a salad. Whatever leftover meat with your salad, a little bit of cheese (or dressing, but blech), and you have an easy chef's salad.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter